The Student Room Group

TSR Turkish Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by naberbenbegum
Hey guys! I've finally decided to become a member of TSR instead of only reading:smile:

I suppose I might as well welcome you to :keyboard:
Original post by RamocitoMorales
I suppose I might as well welcome you to :keyboard:

thanks a lot:smile:
[video="youtube;X5eerAvvT0o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5eerAvvT0o[/video]
Original post by naberbenbegum
thanks a lot:smile:

Don't leave us :puppyeyes:
Original post by Cybernetic
[video="youtube;X5eerAvvT0o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5eerAvvT0o[/video]

Remind me again, how are many Muslims perceived and thus treated in America? :h:

EDIT: Of course this doesn't justify what happened in Turkey, but the 'look at them damn muslims threatening to take over the whole world with their backwardness tut tut' tone of that video just really ****ed me off.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Egos
Hi Charlaux, I am Turkish too. What have you applied for? I guess we are at the same year of high school. University next year!
I have applied for dentistry and have an interview at Plymouth.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

You've applied for dentistry? I'm going to start my a levels in September and I also want to be dentist :smile: what are your grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dent2012
im applying as a home student. I've applied to plymouth, glasgow, aberdeen, and liverpool. So far, I've only heard back from glasgow, which is where I want to study. So, I have an interview there on 2nd Feb..Nervous!!!! I live in Manchester - good city to live in :smile: Good luck with your application mate!

Hi, I'm guessing you're Turkish and going to study dentistry.. I'm going to start my a levels in september and want to apply for dentistry next year. What grades did you achieve?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone done Turkish for A Level?? I did GCSE and got an A*, will that count? I heard first languages don't count and you need evidence that you learnt it as an "extracurricular" activity. But my German and Spanish friends have GCSEs in their first languages...

If I do A Level Turkish, will universities reject me because I've got an A Level that's considered as "cheating"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Username97
Has anyone done Turkish for A Level?? I did GCSE and got an A*, will that count? I heard first languages don't count and you need evidence that you learnt it as an "extracurricular" activity. But my German and Spanish friends have GCSEs in their first languages...

If I do A Level Turkish, will universities reject me because I've got an A Level that's considered as "cheating"?

I have an A-level in 'Turkish'. It's my mother-tongue also, but it's a completely legitimate qualification to the vast majority of universities (barring the odd exception). To be qite frank, I find it quite offensive that you call it 'cheating'.
I have an A-level in 'Turkish'. It's my mother-tongue also, but it's a completely legitimate qualification to the vast majority of universities (barring the odd exception). To be qite frank, I find it quite offensive that you call it 'cheating'.

No I don't call it cheating, I'm saying some unis and people could say its cheating because it doesn't require as much input as other subjects do, so say an entry requirement was ABB, a Turkish person could get the A from the a level or the B without having to work as hard to achieve them from other subjects (so has to work hard on 2 subjects), while another student has to work hard on 3 subjects, so could affect the grades as they have more to work on..
Thanks for answering my question

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I don't call it cheating, I'm saying some unis and people could say its cheating because it doesn't require as much input as other subjects do, so say an entry requirement was ABB, a Turkish person could get the A from the a level or the B without having to work as hard to achieve them from other subjects (so has to work hard on 2 subjects), while another student has to work hard on 3 subjects, so could affect the grades as they have more to work on...

My Turkish is conversational (to fluent after spending time in Turkey). I am completely literate, and I have no problems understanding. Yet I managed a measely 'D' in my Turkish A-level. Take from that what you will (either I'm a complete idiot, or Turkish A-level is actually a serious subject).
My Turkish is conversational (to fluent after spending time in Turkey). I am completely literate, and I have no problems understanding. Yet I managed a measely 'D' in my Turkish A-level. Take from that what you will (either I'm a complete idiot, or Turkish A-level is actually a serious subject).

I don't know about your situation, but I hope you know what I mean

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2392

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!
I am doing the international baccalaureate and, one of my subjects is self-taught Turkish which counts. I am not of the opinion that universities will discriminate against languages other than English at a-level. I don't know about gcses

You've applied for dentistry? I'm going to start my a levels in September and I also want to be dentist :smile: what are your grades?

I have 6s in four subjects including chemistry and biology at higher level. I have 7s in standard level maths and English language B.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2393
Can somebody give me a history lessons about the Turkish and Kosovans?
I know this is a long shot and a bit of a strange post, but here goes. I found this video on youtube, can any of you translate what the lyrics are about, and is their any reference in the credits to the film featured in the video? It looks great but I can't find a name anywhere; and I don't yet study Turkish. Any information would be appreciated. :smile:
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
I know this is a long shot and a bit of a strange post, but here goes. I found this video on youtube, can any of you translate what the lyrics are about, and is their any reference in the credits to the film featured in the video? It looks great but I can't find a name anywhere; and I don't yet study Turkish. Any information would be appreciated. :smile:

It's sung in a Turkish dialect that I'm not familiar with. The lower subtitles are actually a 'translation' into 'normal' Turkish.
It's sung in a Turkish dialect that I'm not familiar with. The lower subtitles are actually a 'translation' into 'normal' Turkish.

Hello :smile:

Yes I understand that from a youtube comment, I think it said the song was sung in a dialect called Nogay. I was just curious as to what the lyrics meant; I certainly enjoy listening to it. :smile:
Hello :smile:

Yes I understand that from a youtube comment, I think it said the song was sung in a dialect called Nogay. I was just curious as to what the lyrics meant; I certainly enjoy listening to it. :smile:

Summary: When the black winter came to his village, he would pick up his 'Dombira' and play it, but he would never sing his concerns....When the Nogay's concerns were many, when the brave could not sleep, the 'Dombira' that 'saw it all' would give strength during war.
Summary: When the black winter came to his village, he would pick up his 'Dombira' and play it, but he would never sing his concerns....When the Nogay's concerns were many, when the brave could not sleep, the 'Dombira' that 'saw it all' would give strength during war.

Ooh, how interesting; thank you! I'd love to know the name of the film but I've search on google and youtube and I can't find a name for it anywhere. Shame.

Are you learning or studying Turkish as a foreign language or are you a native speaker?
Ooh, how interesting; thank you! I'd love to know the name of the film but I've search on google and youtube and I can't find a name for it anywhere. Shame.

You're welcome, and do you mean the video clip? That's a battle scene from the film 'Mongol'.

21stcenturyphantom
Are you learning or studying Turkish as a foreign language or are you a native speaker?

It's my mother tongue.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest