The Student Room Group

Muslim 'refused job because of his name' accuses airline bosses of racism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
You know, I did once have a very slight suspicion of this, and it's quite sad to hear these stories :frown:. But I thought it would maybe be more something to do with not being able to pronounce the name, rather than them actually just not wanting a foreign person :erm:. And on that basis I did start putting a shortened version of my first name on my CV and applications, but it didn't change much still :erm:. But I dunno, we are in a difficult job market as well, so it's pretty difficult to just pinpoint one reason, as I'm sure there are plenty of people with English names finding it hard to get a job too :dontknow:

I think you are definitely right on the bold bit I have highlighted. I think it's a tough market out there at the moment.

I also have a 13 letter name but shorten it to four letters on job applications. I don't want to take the risk with my 13 letter name, I find the whole name a bit too long and frustrating, so what more of other people.

When I was 16/17 I used to use the long version until I learnt from my sister who was always getting interviews to shorten it. I've always shortened it since, the long version only matters when it comes to processing your documents with payroll and job contract etc.
Original post by ish90an
Subtle, very subtle :tongue:
You make a sound point though, apart from the tiny little fact that the man could very well be applying for a desk job at Cathay, so the issue of his real name putting off customers doesn't really apply. Plus, they could always do what call centers do and give him a fake name, like "Joe" from AT&T Customer Service.
The fact that the same application was rejected with different names is going to make Cathay's position really hard to defend if it goes to the courts. Blatantly caught out tbh.

AHAH! I just spat my milk out at the computer at the irony of the unconscious punn I produced :L

I well and truly agree, but I think the very fact that services such as AT&T feel the need to unnegotiably give people ..."strong" English names speaks volumes about Britain if you ask me :L
But yes. Clearly, if he was accepted the second time round with basically the SAME application form, then that is wrong on so many levels, and he obviously deserved the position the first time. They were caught out :smile: :colondollar:
I have a foreign name and I keep getting rejected from job applications :sigh:

http://deedpoll.org.uk/

:flutter:
Reply 23
He should apply for a job in the public sector.
When I was temping in the summer I got told not to bother applying for council jobs because my name did sound "British" and they were on a recruitment drive. I wasn't what they were looking for.
All forms of discrimination are tosh. Ideally your application for anything wouldn't need your name (or sex, or ethnicity, or whatever) and you'd just be judged on your credentials.
Nice idea eh?
Reply 24
Enough!
Original post by jakemittle
Same thing is happening to me you know

Aww, really? :console: Don't give up.

Original post by st_23
Maybe some people would overlook a CV because of the name but i would have thought most wouldn't. Its probably more down to the competition for jobs rather than your name. I think most people are getting a lot of rejections right now.

Yeah, I'm thinking that too. I remember a story from last year about a young woman who killed herself because she couldn't get a job after 200 applications in two years. She was White English and had a typical English name, so it couldn't have been anything to do with her name.

Original post by babygirl110
I think you are definitely right on the bold bit I have highlighted. I think it's a tough market out there at the moment.

I also have a 13 letter name but shorten it to four letters on job applications. I don't want to take the risk with my 13 letter name, I find the whole name a bit too long and frustrating, so what more of other people.

When I was 16/17 I used to use the long version until I learnt from my sister who was always getting interviews to shorten it. I've always shortened it since, the long version only matters when it comes to processing your documents with payroll and job contract etc.

Yeah, I suppose you're right there. When I noticed that my Dad often shortens his name on some work things, I asked him if it'd be OK for me to shorten my name on my CV, and he said it is, and so I did. But yeah, having a long foreign name can be annoying, especially all through my school life when I get a new teacher and they don't know how to pronounce it :facepalm2:. So I figure make things a bit easier for the prospective employer, you know :smile:

Oh gosh, I'm not sure I'd want to go that far, lol. Name-changing is a massive decision, plus I'd find it a bit weird too.
Reply 27
This is disgusting. In my hometown it is religion that causes issues.

Yeah, I suppose you're right there. When I noticed that my Dad often shortens his name on some work things, I asked him if it'd be OK for me to shorten my name on my CV, and he said it is, and so I did. But yeah, having a long foreign name can be annoying, especially all through my school life when I get a new teacher and they don't know how to pronounce it :facepalm2:. So I figure make things a bit easier for the prospective employer, you know :smile:

Yeah it is annoying having a long name, my GCSE certificate was written wrong and so was my driving license. I had to return my license twice because they got it wrong twice.

I used to get annoyed at my parents for giving me such a long name but I've learned to accept it and also realised that the short version can be used, I'd say 95% of the time.
Original post by zxh800
But Jozef Amadeusz sounds so much more classy than Abdul Al Muhajiroon.

Wow, nice racism there.
Original post by djinnie
This is disgusting. In my hometown it is religion that causes issues.

This has nothing to do with the man's religion.
Reply 31
well they probably want a certain "look" for their ariline and an arab man wouldnt fit into this look
i wouldnt say its racism, for example if i want an all britsh restaurant, british food, british theme, im not going to emplyee foreigners
the same way a arab theme restaurant isnt going to want to hire me
Yeah it is annoying having a long name, my GCSE certificate was written wrong and so was my driving license. I had to return my license twice because they got it wrong twice.

I used to get annoyed at my parents for giving me such a long name but I've learned to accept it and also realised that the short version can be used, I'd say 95% of the time.

Wow, how did they manage to cock that up? :s-smilie: Can those administrators or whatever not properly copy down what you wrote in a form? Wow, some people smh.

Well, your parents were only following their culture, like mine did too. What's a weird unpronounceable name in this country, is perfectly normal and average name in your home country. And sometimes it can be pretty cool to have a unique name; better than being the 10th Amy or Emma in your school, lol. :smile:
Reply 33
Aww, really? :console: Don't give up.

Yeah, I'm thinking that too. I remember a story from last year about a young woman who killed herself because she couldn't get a job after 200 applications in two years. She was White English and had a typical English name, so it couldn't have been anything to do with her name.

Oh really, I haven't heard that before but its pretty extreme although I guess that person may have been under a lot of pressure will bills and stuff.

I'm sure its nothing to do with your name, probably just your poor CV.. no i'm joking its just a crappy job market out there right now. Most of the jobs don't even get advertised so you have to know people that work in the company to get them and others have already been filled before they are advertised.

I was told to use my full name rather than a shortened version and my first name isnt an english one although my surname is quite a common one

Original post by ellakrystina
Wow, nice racism there.

You should have seen what gayforjustinbieber said or what ever his name was before he got banned and all post to do with him removed. But don't worry about them anyway :smile:
Reply 34
Wow, nice racism there.

Wut, I'm not allowed to take the mick out of my own name :confused:
Original post by st_23
You should have seen what gayforjustinbieber said or what ever his name was before he got banned and all post to do with him removed. But don't worry about them anyway :smile:

Ah I don't take it personally, but thanks anyway!:smile:
Reply 36
This has nothing to do with the man's religion.

I didn't say it did, I said that in my town, if you are the "wrong" religion you won't get the job.
Original post by zxh800
Wut, I'm not allowed to take the mick out of my own name :confused:

Oh you, you should have said that it was your own name!
My dad's name is Tadeusz and he looks very jewish and turns very black when he tans. He's got it all going for him:rolleyes:

...yet still has a job!
Reply 38
Oh you, you should have said that it was your own name!
My dad's name is Tadeusz and he looks very jewish and turns very black when he tans. He's got it all going for him:rolleyes:

...yet still has a job!

:colondollar: I joke, it's not really my name. Having said that, I'm Muslim so my name is of a similar vein :wink:. Amadeusz is a pretty cool name though, reminds me of Mozart.
Reply 39
Surely he's breaking the law by providing false details on a job application?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending