The Student Room Group

Have doctors become too arrogant?

BBC NEWS: Arrogant doctors

"A doctor has been found guilty of serious professional misconduct for taking measures to end the life of a patient against his family's wishes."

This sort of behaviour is becoming increasingly regular, and it seems to me that doctors are assigning themselves elevated positions in society. We have all heard about Dr shipman and various other doctors that have taken the lives of others. Once upon a time doctors use to try to save lives, now they seek to end them; they even take families to court and demand a right to refuse treatment!

I think doctors have just become too arrogant, what do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think that doctors have an important function in society and just because one or two doctors have been in the news recently does not meant that you can say that all doctors are arrogant. Think about how many new doctors graduate each year and then think of what a small percentage actually go on to do the things you are stating. I personally agree with euthanasia but only if it was legalised. The responsibility of the doctor is to look out for the best wishes of their patients which is why they are taking the family of baby charlotte (I assume that is who you are refering to) to court so that they don't resussitate her if her heart fails.
Become!
Reply 3
Other doctors found this doctor guilty, so you can't use it as a general example. The role of doctors has changed drastically- it's only very recently historically that they were actually any good at saving lives, so that's an innovation- arrogance and a patient's faith was all they offered for most of history. Doctors are another example of peolpe doimg a job and learning to do a job in a way that derives from antiquated and obsolete techniques that don't have much to do with what they're actually doing now..
Reply 4
randdom
I think that doctors have an important function in society and just because one or two doctors have been in the news recently does not meant that you can say that all doctors are arrogant. Think about how many new doctors graduate each year and then think of what a small percentage actually go on to do the things you are stating. I personally agree with euthanasia but only if it was legalised. The responsibility of the doctor is to look out for the best wishes of their patients which is why they are taking the family of baby charlotte (I assume that is who you are refering to) to court so that they don't resussitate her if her heart fails.

Not just Charlotte, but Terri Schiavo, Eileen Doran, etc, etc, and the tens of millions of unborn humans.

--------------

Weejimmie
Other doctors found this doctor guilty, so you can't use it as a general example.

Not until the family raised the alarm.
Sally
and the tens of millions of unborn humans.

Wow, not even ten posts into a thread about medicine and someone has already referenced abortions. Bravo.
Reply 6
Sally
Not just Charlotte, but Terri Schiavo, Eileen Doran, etc, etc, and the tens of millions of unborn humans.

Doctors have a duty to act in the patient's best interests. Sometimes this may conflict with the wishes of family members but it should never conflict with a patient's wishes, since patient autonomy is also a fundamental principal.

For sure there are some bad doctors - they are only human, after all, but to tar the entire profession with the slander of arrogance is utterly unfounded. Doctors are on the whole amongst the most selfless and compassionate people you can find.

To take the case of Terri Schiavo, for example, the doctors were humbly respecting her wishes.
Reply 7
its a bit of a generalisation isn't it
Reply 8
Sally

Not until the family raised the alarm.
How do you know?
Take another look at the report. It says that she acted against the family's wishes in one case. It says nothing about the other case or who brought the matter to the GMC's attention.
No, they certainly are not.

With the enormous responsibility that doctors take up, they also have the right to make certain calls absed on their judgement and expertise which comes from years of training. That is not to say that they don't make mistakes - hey, we're all human.

I'm not trying to justify what this particular doctor did. I highly doubt she was as evil as the above article portrayed her to be - no one in their right mind would go through years of the med school grind just for this.

What did she say her reason was for doing so? The article never stated. What was the patient's condition like? Was there any hope for him anyway?
Did the patient have an advance directive - a DNR order?? That wasn't mentioned in the article either.

Of course families would want to hold on to a loved one for as long as they can - but what is the point of clinging on to the living dead? The family will never be able to begin to psychologically deal with their loved one's death because the person is "still there" or still "alive". They go through terrible torment because although physically their family member may still be "there" - emotionally and mentally they are not. Is that really what's best then?
Reply 10
spk
Doctors have a duty to act in the patient's best interests. Sometimes this may conflict with the wishes of family members but it should never conflict with a patient's wishes, since patient autonomy is also a fundamental principal.

For sure there are some bad doctors - they are only human, after all, but to tar the entire profession with the slander of arrogance is utterly unfounded. Doctors are on the whole amongst the most selfless and compassionate people you can find.

To take the case of Terri Schiavo, for example, the doctors were humbly respecting her wishes.

How has a doctor acted in the patients best interests when a doctor kills an unborn human? The doctor who kills the unborn doesn’t even know for sure that the unborn is not human, yet the doctor still kills it.
Reply 11
Sally
How has a doctor acted in the patients best interests when a doctor kills an unborn human? The doctor who kills the unborn doesn’t even know for sure that the unborn is not human, yet he or she kills it.

Back again, simon-zadek?

Almost all abortions are carried out at less than 16 weeks when the foetus is demonstrably not "human". Terminations after this time are almost always done due to a health risk to the mother or due to an undiagnosed severe birth abnormality.

Whether before or after 16 weeks, the doctor is always acting in the best interests of the patient, i.e. the pregnant woman.
I think we're muddling two issues here. This topic was not about abortion, that's been done in other topics.
Reply 13
There's an abortions thread of over 80 pages of circular arguments on this. Let's avoid it in this thread shall we for the sake our sanity. Suffice to say it isn't doctors that decide abortion is a good idea. They don't have that sort of say in policy. It is society that legalises abortion. You may agree with that or not, but it's hardly a point which demonstrates doctors are arrogant.

Furthermore, how is 'who raised the case to the GMCs attention' relevant? the family would be keeping much better tabs on where their own family members are than other doctors not involved in the case. Of course the family would raise the case to the GMCs attention. How does that make any sort of point against even those doctors immediatly present, let alone a general point about millions of doctors around the world?
Sally
How has a doctor acted in the patients best interests when a doctor kills an unborn human? The doctor who kills the unborn doesn’t even know for sure that the unborn is not human, yet the doctor still kills it.

Okay this thread is not about abortion.
Reply 15
Sally
That is completely a matter of oppion and even if you do think that the foetus is being murdered in some way that is still not the majority of doctors. In the case of doctors who are carrying out abortions their patient is the mother and the responsibility is to the mother.
Reply 16
Sally
BBC NEWS: Arrogant doctors

"A doctor has been found guilty of serious professional misconduct for taking measures to end the life of a patient against his family's wishes."

This sort of behaviour is becoming more regular, and it seems to me that doctors are assigning themselves elevated positions in society. We have all heard about Dr shipman and various other doctors that have taken the lives of others. Once upon a time doctors use to try to save lives, now they seek to end them; they even take families to court and demand a right to refuse treatment!

I think doctors have just become too arrogant, what do you think?

Face it, doctors don't care about helping people.

This is why authority must be questioned. Because those with authority are corrupt.
Reply 17
That's great Zooropa... now, go stand in the corner. :rolleyes:
Reply 18
No thanks.
Reply 19
zooropa
Face it, doctors don't care about helping people.

This is why authority must be questioned. Because those with authority are corrupt.
I would like to know what evidence you have for this statement. Both of my parents are doctors and although my mum has retired they are two of the most caring people I know. The majority of the doctors that I have come accross so far during my training also seem to genuinly care about their patients.

Latest

Trending

Trending