The Student Room Group

Bleeding a week after circumcision

Hi,

I had a circumcision, 9 days ago.

No bleeding at first. 4th day it started it bleeding at night/early morning.

I bled much more last night.

Not sure how to stop the bleeding?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

How old are you?
If you get an erection after a circumcision it can cause bleeding.
You may not think that you’ve had one but they can happen while your sleeping.
And why did you even get a circumcision? There are like no benefits of having one.
Bleeding is quite common. It's nothing to worry about as long as it stops. It should heal and resolve itself but it takes time.

The bleeding will also occur when it rubs against something, so try bear this in mind. If that means taking a couple days off and staying in bed or the sofa with your bits out - then that's what to do. Once it's healed it'll be back to normal but it can take a while.

If you're concerned contact or visit your doctor.

And why did you even get a circumcision? There are like no benefits of having one.

Medical reasons for men to have a circumcision

In men, circumcision is sometimes considered a possible treatment option for the following conditions:

tight foreskin (phimosis) where the foreskin is too tight to be pulled back over the head of the penis (glans); this can sometimes cause pain when the penis is erect and, in rare cases, passing urine may be difficult

recurrent balanitis where the foreskin and head of the penis become inflamed and infected

paraphimosis where the foreskin can't be returned to its original position after being pulled back, causing the head of the penis to become swollen and painful; immediate treatment is needed to avoid serious complications, such as restricted blood flow to the penis

balanitis xerotica obliterans a condition that causes phimosis and, in some cases, also affects the head of the penis, which can become scarred and inflamed

cancer of the penis a very rare type of cancer that can occur in men, where a red patch, wart-like growth or ulcer appears on the end of the penis or under the foreskin

To this I'll addd it also makes it easier to clean and reduces rates for some cancers for your partner.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by JTfoxlove
To this I'll addd it also makes it easier to clean and reduces rates for some cancers for your partner.

Not to mention that it reduces chance of being infected by HIV compared to uncircumcised.
Reply 4
Thanks for your advice, just concerned the stitches have come undone. Let's see what tonight brings!
I'd pop along to the doctors if you've got any concerns. They can have a quick look and perhaps give you some extra reassurance and advice.
Hi,

wrap a grapefruit round it at night and sleep like that. worked great for my nan
Try to stop thinking thoughts that give you an erection.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #2
How old are you?
If you get an erection after a circumcision it can cause bleeding.
You may not think that you’ve had one but they can happen while your sleeping.

Some people have phimosis and there is hygiene benefits

Quick Reply

Latest