The Student Room Group

Is it stupid going to medical school at 40 just to prove to myself im capable?

I have a void deep inside me. I feel like I have underachieved in life because ive never pushed myself to become the kind of person I always wanted to be.

That person would be a very successful intelligent person who also has a prestige career (such as a doctor)

At 40, with my life practically reaching the wrong side of youth, have I missed my chance?

It it wise going to medical school to become a doctor? Or is it just a very stupid idea?

As the title says, the main reason is just to prove to myself I am capable and worthy of doing something so prestigious, and maybe that's not a good enough reason, but I also don't want to have regrets when I am much older.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?
Original post by ZenDixon
I have a void deep inside me. I feel like I have underachieved in life because ive never pushed myself to become the kind of person I always wanted to be.

That person would be a very successful intelligent person who also has a prestige career (such as a doctor)

At 40, with my life practically reaching the wrong side of youth, have I missed my chance?

It it wise going to medical school to become a doctor? Or is it just a very stupid idea?

As the title says, the main reason is just to prove to myself I am capable and worthy of doing something so prestigious, and maybe that's not a good enough reason, but I also don't want to have regrets when I am much older.

Going to medical school "just to prove to myself im capable" and "worthy of doing something so prestigious" is not very wise. Your question implies that you know that.

If you have a desire for "a prestige career" (which is a very dubious aim in itself), are there none where you actually want that career for reasons other than the perceived prestige? By that I mean careers that you might actually enjoy, or have some affinity for?
Reply 2

You do realise that there is rather more to being a doctor (and, for that matter, studying Medicine) than flattering your own ego, right?

Naïve view, possibly, but take it from one who spent their entire career in what one might describe as a 'medicine adjacent' profession - patients deserve better.
It’s up to you

You only get one life and you should spend it being happy

Med school and doctor training is something like 7 years end to end and doesn’t pay loads at the start so bit commitment and (possibly) a big pay cut. You then have to think about, potentially, living away from home and what happens paying for your main home and the effect on any family you may have.

I wouldn’t worry about being an older student if that’s your concern - many courses have older people attending. Heck, I had someone in their 70s on my Chemistry degree and one of the lab technicians was in her 40s and transferred to being a student on the course.

Given the length of time of the course and the finanancial commitment, you may want to check your motives for doing this though. Just because you didn’t do a degree or end up a doctor makes you no less intelligent, no less a good person and no less successful in the path you ended up taking.

Bottom line though is that you can always find an excuse not to do something you want to do - if you can find a way to make it work and if it will make you happier in yourself then go for it if that’s what you want.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Going to medical school "just to prove to myself im capable" and "worthy of doing something so prestigious" is not very wise. Your question implies that you know that.

If you have a desire for "a prestige career" (which is a very dubious aim in itself), are there none where you actually want that career for reasons other than the perceived prestige? By that I mean careers that you might actually enjoy, or have some affinity for?

That's the irritating thing, I have no actual desires, or passions in life, other than becoming the best version of myself. But career wise, none really.

Ive been asking myself for years, how do I achieve such inner prosperity and fulfill this void inside me, and, like many people I turned to health and fitness first. I became the healthiest version of myself through exercise and diet etc... but that void was still there. I am still not satisfied with my life and career.

When I think of all the careers paths I could go down, becoming a Doctor is the only one that makes me feel worthy and self respected. I think because, in my eyes, it's the cream of the crop when it comes to careers.

Perhaps close second would be a Teacher or even a Psychologist etc, (knowing I would be contributing in some way towards other peoples welfare etc)

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.
Reply 5
Original post by Isinglass
You do realise that there is rather more to being a doctor (and, for that matter, studying Medicine) than flattering your own ego, right?

Naïve view, possibly, but take it from one who spent their entire career in what one might describe as a 'medicine adjacent' profession - patients deserve better.

With all due respect, I think if everyone was honest with themselves, most people get into medicine because it's "the best"

For example, many many students are practically 'pushed' into it by their parents, because in their eyes, it's the best career, and doing anything else is merely 2nd best.

Now, of course, I understand there is alot more to medicine than flattering my own ego, but let's not forget, that's practically all that these pharmaceutical companies are doing, arnt they? It's a business to them. They want everyone on medicine and that's all they teach in medical school really. Let's be honest here. It's all about ego.

Funny how medical school only teaches students the remedy (medicine) and not the actual root cause... because if the root cause was resolved (in most cases through diet, fitness, and other silly lifestyle choices) then there would be no need for most/some medicines.

But big pharma doesn't want that, do they? So we could argue, that the very industry which is teaching our medical students, is in fact, doing it just to flatter their own ego.
Reply 6
That's the irritating thing, I have no actual desires, or passions in life, other than becoming the best version of myself. But career wise, none really.

Ive been asking myself for years, how do I achieve such inner prosperity and fulfill this void inside me, and, like many people I turned to health and fitness first. I became the healthiest version of myself through exercise and diet etc... but that void was still there. I am still not satisfied with my life and career.

When I think of all the careers paths I could go down, becoming a Doctor is the only one that makes me feel worthy and self respected. I think because, in my eyes, it's the cream of the crop when it comes to careers.

Perhaps close second would be a Teacher or even a Psychologist etc, (knowing I would be contributing in some way towards other peoples welfare etc)

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

Some excellent points put forward by others. Not going to really open the medicine box, but thoughts on age incoming.

I am older then you. And not the best physical version of myself !

Its interesting to me that prestige is often considered as the salary / the perceived respect from others etc. Neither of these are really currently that high on the scale for doctors esp junior doctors and given your age when you get out of training, you may not have time to enjoy a long period of time at a higher grade. Appreciation and salary are lower than you may think.

However, what you appear to be talking about is a sense of internal achievement and personal fulfilment. I can relate to that. I am "healthcare adjacent" as someone else put it and I have spent a lot of time over the last few years thinking the same. Frankly, in my case, I suspect it is a case of a good old-fashioned mid age crisis. What have I really contributed, what have I done, what could I do or be kinda thing. I have come to the conclusion that if I am not getting these feels from my current job rather than push for promotion or more cash, to think about what I can give, or give back outside work to get that same sense of accomplishment or value.

I am picking up the volunteering pace and am gaining a sense of being valued and contribution through that, one way or another. I have been blessed in life in so many ways, if I can help others then that is better for them, and selfishly, yes, it makes me feel better too.

I am not suggesting that this is what is necessarily weighing on your mind, but could it be? It is so common to spend time at this age reevaluating things. There are a lot of useful resources out there on how to use these feelings and evaluate them and forge a path forwards. And how to use your skillset and experience in the most effective way. The healthy you and the hard work that you have done in this space sounds a really good platform for next steps to me.

As an unfit person you have all the knowledge and determination and skills that I can only admire and aspire to. Its the next thing on my self improvement journey.

Good luck with yours.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by GGIN
Some excellent points put forward by others. Not going to really open the medicine box, but thoughts on age incoming.

I am older then you. And not the best physical version of myself !

Its interesting to me that prestige is often considered as the salary / the perceived respect from others etc. Neither of these are really currently that high on the scale for doctors esp junior doctors and given your age when you get out of training, you may not have time to enjoy a long period of time at a higher grade. Appreciation and salary are lower than you may think.

However, what you appear to be talking about is a sense of internal achievement and personal fulfilment. I can relate to that. I am "healthcare adjacent" as someone else put it and I have spent a lot of time over the last few years thinking the same. Frankly, in my case, I suspect it is a case of a good old-fashioned mid age crisis. What have I really contributed, what have I done, what could I do or be kinda thing. I have come to the conclusion that if I am not getting these feels from my current job rather than push for promotion or more cash, to think about what I can give, or give back outside work to get that same sense of accomplishment or value.

I am picking up the volunteering pace and am gaining a sense of being valued and contribution through that, one way or another. I have been blessed in life in so many ways, if I can help others then that is better for them, and selfishly, yes, it makes me feel better too.

I am not suggesting that this is what is necessarily weighing on your mind, but could it be? It is so common to spend time at this age reevaluating things. There are a lot of useful resources out there on how to use these feelings and evaluate them and forge a path forwards. And how to use your skillset and experience in the most effective way. The healthy you and the hard work that you have done in this space sounds a really good platform for next steps to me.

As an unfit person you have all the knowledge and determination and skills that I can only admire and aspire to. Its the next thing on my self improvement journey.

Good luck with yours.

Thanks for this. It's nice to know others do or at least have felt similar things in life. Whether or not it's a mid life crisis, im yet to know for sure, but at this very moment, i just don't think it is because ive been feeling this way all my life to be honest...

Without going into too much detail and boring you, I dropped out of school early and got into a trade, thinking at the time, that's what i really wanted to do.

I was successful in my trade for over 20 years. The last few years, ive basically been in and out of jobs, trying to find something im passiononate about but that passion just isnt coming.

Ive done everything else right in life, I got into a good trade, bought a house, met a partner, started a family etc... So on paper, ive succeeded in life, right?

But it just doesn't feel that way.

Anyway, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. All the best to you, too.
Reply 8
Clearly I don't know you but from reading what you've written in this thread it seems like you're using being a doctor as a proxy marker for success and personal satisfaction. Which it isn't - you can definitely be a very unsatisfied doctor and indeed most doctors would probably tell you that satisfaction in medicine is a long term investment and doesn't really come until you're settled for some years in the job.

Qualifying from medical school is a great feeling but it's actually the start of working out how to put that learning into practice. Unless you're only interested in getting the degree as a personal accomplishment and never using it, you're going to find the years after medical school are also full of ups, downs, personal doubts, and many of the same feelings you've already described.

It seems to me that there are much quicker and more direct ways to addressing your doubts about your achievements rather than entering into a profession where you're unlikely to gain the satisfaction you're seeking for at least another 10 years.

I haven't even got into the practicalities of how you'd feel about night shifts and exams in your late 40s and being punted all around the place for training and jobs.
Reply 9
Original post by Democracy
Clearly I don't know you but from reading what you've written in this thread it seems like you're using being a doctor as a proxy marker for success and personal satisfaction. Which it isn't - you can definitely be a very unsatisfied doctor and indeed most doctors would probably tell you that satisfaction in medicine is a long term investment and doesn't really come until you're settled for some years in the job.

Qualifying from medical school is a great feeling but it's actually the start of working out how to put that learning into practice. Unless you're only interested in getting the degree as a personal accomplishment and never using it, you're going to find the years after medical school are also full of ups, downs, personal doubts, and many of the same feelings you've already described.

It seems to me that there are much quicker and more direct ways to addressing your doubts about your achievements rather than entering into a profession where you're unlikely to gain the satisfaction you're seeking for at least another 10 years.

I haven't even got into the practicalities of how you'd feel about night shifts and exams in your late 40s and being punted all around the place for training and jobs.

I fully understand what you're saying and of course, you are right are right in many ways. Im aware it'll be no picnic.

But it's kinda like that quote "it's the journey that counts, not the destination"

So, when you say it'll take me another 10 years to gain the satisfaction im seeking, that may not be necessarily true.

Just getting into medical school is an achievement itself, then, being on that journey, amongst other medical students, experiencing all the sweat and tears via the hard work we're is doing etc, all these things (the journey) would contribute towards that euphoric satisfied feeling im obviously craving.

The only other way i can describe it is, gaining that feeling of knowing you ARE capable, you ARE worthy, You DO have the discipline to achieve something as prestigious as becoming a Doctor etc... and then to look back on your death bed and know, you MADE IT. You did it. I honestly can't imagine a feeling like it. What must it feel it? I kinda NEED to know how ot feels.

If i truely believed there was another way to achieve such a feeling, i would jump at the chance. But im not sure there is. Ive tried, for many years to find the answer and something keeps drawing me back to 'becoming a doctor'

Anyway, i understand it's a huge decision i have to make myself and im grateful for you taking the time out to reply to me.
Just getting into medical school is an achievement itself, then, being on that journey, amongst other medical students, experiencing all the sweat and tears via the hard work we're is doing etc, all these things (the journey) would contribute towards that euphoric satisfied feeling im obviously craving.

You've said that at one time going into a particular trade was what you really wanted, but that hasn't brought you lasting satisfaction, so how can you know that med school would? This is why you need reasons to apply other than "to fill a void" or "to feel euphoric and satisfied". Your mention of euphoria stood out for me, because by definition it's not a feeling that people experience very often. Doctors don't live on a euphoric high any more than other people do. Your posts do make it sound as if you're idealising medical school and envisioning it as the solution to all your problems, and this actually puts you at risk of feeling even worse when (not if) the reality doesn't match up to your expectations. The benchmark of competence is likely to shift and keep on shifting ("I'll be happy if I get into the most competitive specialty", "I'll be happy if I do a PhD", "I'll be happy if I get into Harvard for the PhD"), with the result that you spend more and more time chasing chimeras and getting progressively unhappier with yourself.

Now, of course, I understand there is alot more to medicine than flattering my own ego, but let's not forget, that's practically all that these pharmaceutical companies are doing, arnt they? It's a business to them. They want everyone on medicine and that's all they teach in medical school really. Let's be honest here. It's all about ego.

Funny how medical school only teaches students the remedy (medicine) and not the actual root cause... because if the root cause was resolved (in most cases through diet, fitness, and other silly lifestyle choices) then there would be no need for most/some medicines.

This is not true. We do study the reasons underlying different pathologies, as well as how and why the systems of a healthy body work the way they do. Assessing lifestyle factors and supporting patients to make the best choices they can is also part of things. Pharmacology is important, but it certainly doesn't make up the bulk of our curriculum. For context, our current case focuses on the musculoskeletal system and associated conditions, and out of 55 learning outcomes only 6 involve pharmacology and medication. For the previous case (dementias), we had 31 learning outcomes, with 2 on the relevant drug treatments. You may have set your heart on a certain idea of medical school, rather than medical school as it actually is.

Yesterday I happened to say how at one point I'd worried that my previous psychodynamic training would go to waste on a medical degree (I used to work in adolescent mental health), but that I couldn't have been more wrong - I draw on it all the time, in ways I didn't even expect. A doctor replied, "Good medicine is often doing as much nothing as possible, and psychodynamic training makes you good at identifying why you, patients, and colleagues, want to do *something*." That resonated with me. "As much nothing as possible" is probably the most succinct description of medicine that I've ever read, and it's one of the things that makes its practice so emotionally challenging - recognising the limitations of what can be done and should be done, trusting your clinical judgement enough not to order defensive tests that might cause patients a lot of discomfort for little to no gain, etc. This is why I'm doubtful that medicine would give you what you're looking for. People often have a mental image of doctors confidently striding about fixing problems all day every day, when in reality they have to navigate an awful lot of uncertainty and aren't constantly experiencing eureka moments in the manner of House. We've been learning about medical error and how to cope with it, and our GP tutor shared some very frank reflections about mistakes he's made that had him awake at nights and doubting his abilities. He warned us that there will be many times when we feel that way ourselves. Then there is the uncertainty that isn't connected to error, just to the nature of illness - sometimes there really is no clear right answer. This is difficult for anyone to tolerate, but I think it would be exceptionally difficult if you struggle with self-worth and you're set on getting tangible proof that you're "capable" and "worthy". Worthy of what?

This is not to say that you absolutely shouldn't do medicine, but you definitely need to have other reasons for it than the ones you've given, plus an understanding that you can't rely on med school to cure how you're feeling about your life.
Original post by TheMedicOwl
You've said that at one time going into a particular trade was what you really wanted, but that hasn't brought you lasting satisfaction, so how can you know that med school would? This is why you need reasons to apply other than "to fill a void" or "to feel euphoric and satisfied". Your mention of euphoria stood out for me, because by definition it's not a feeling that people experience very often. Doctors don't live on a euphoric high any more than other people do. Your posts do make it sound as if you're idealising medical school and envisioning it as the solution to all your problems, and this actually puts you at risk of feeling even worse when (not if) the reality doesn't match up to your expectations. The benchmark of competence is likely to shift and keep on shifting ("I'll be happy if I get into the most competitive specialty", "I'll be happy if I do a PhD", "I'll be happy if I get into Harvard for the PhD"), with the result that you spend more and more time chasing chimeras and getting progressively unhappier with yourself.

This is not true. We do study the reasons underlying different pathologies, as well as how and why the systems of a healthy body work the way they do. Assessing lifestyle factors and supporting patients to make the best choices they can is also part of things. Pharmacology is important, but it certainly doesn't make up the bulk of our curriculum. For context, our current case focuses on the musculoskeletal system and associated conditions, and out of 55 learning outcomes only 6 involve pharmacology and medication. For the previous case (dementias), we had 31 learning outcomes, with 2 on the relevant drug treatments. You may have set your heart on a certain idea of medical school, rather than medical school as it actually is.

Yesterday I happened to say how at one point I'd worried that my previous psychodynamic training would go to waste on a medical degree (I used to work in adolescent mental health), but that I couldn't have been more wrong - I draw on it all the time, in ways I didn't even expect. A doctor replied, "Good medicine is often doing as much nothing as possible, and psychodynamic training makes you good at identifying why you, patients, and colleagues, want to do *something*." That resonated with me. "As much nothing as possible" is probably the most succinct description of medicine that I've ever read, and it's one of the things that makes its practice so emotionally challenging - recognising the limitations of what can be done and should be done, trusting your clinical judgement enough not to order defensive tests that might cause patients a lot of discomfort for little to no gain, etc. This is why I'm doubtful that medicine would give you what you're looking for. People often have a mental image of doctors confidently striding about fixing problems all day every day, when in reality they have to navigate an awful lot of uncertainty and aren't constantly experiencing eureka moments in the manner of House. We've been learning about medical error and how to cope with it, and our GP tutor shared some very frank reflections about mistakes he's made that had him awake at nights and doubting his abilities. He warned us that there will be many times when we feel that way ourselves. Then there is the uncertainty that isn't connected to error, just to the nature of illness - sometimes there really is no clear right answer. This is difficult for anyone to tolerate, but I think it would be exceptionally difficult if you struggle with self-worth and you're set on getting tangible proof that you're "capable" and "worthy". Worthy of what?

This is not to say that you absolutely shouldn't do medicine, but you definitely need to have other reasons for it than the ones you've given, plus an understanding that you can't rely on med school to cure how you're feeling about your life.

Wow! If I could rep this post multiple times I would. Top drawer.
:congrats:
Reply 12

Firstly, i want to thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I appreciate it alot.

I suppose when I talk about euphoria and the relation it has (for me) with being a doctor, I guess I mean; considering it is widely regarded as one of (if not the) best careers someone can do, surely that would provide a certain level of self satisfaction and worth that many people will never ever ascertain.

I suppose another way of looking at it is like thinking of someone who wants to become a famous singer but can't fully articulate the reasons 'why' they believe becoming a singer would fulfill their inner satisfaction. (Im excluding the ones who just wanna be famous of course)

For some people out there, they have this burning desire - an itch - to become a professional musician/artist, and they truely believe that succeeding in that aspiration is the only way for them to achieve their personal inner 'euphoric satisfaction' etc... (similar to the one I talk of with becoming a doctor)

(Yes, at one time i thought my initial trade would satisfy me, but i was very young, and had little life experience and also bare in mind i did also state that i have had this void for 'most' of my life, indicating that i may have known on some deep level that my 'trade' wasn't for me, yet i truely knew it until i 'grew up')

Anyway, i can't talk for everyone (although i know many other people do feel the same) but becoming a doctor IS THE pinnacle of livelihood, and although this does not guarantee true happiness, it probably would bring a sense of pride and satisfaction, would it not?) and for some people, that is what life is all about.... Becoming the very best, in a field that is 'considered' the very best.

Don't get me wrong, Im fully aware that any career itself won't solve any underlying problems that one may have. This is why i fully understand i have to take some time to truely reflect, but considering ive felt like this for close to 20 years, im pretty confident it's not just some 'mid life crisis' etc..

Thanks again for replying to me. I will definately be taking your post into consideration.
Reply 13

As Voltaire said “The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.”
Reply 14
Original post by GANFYD
As Voltaire said “The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.”

I love this quote.
Reply 15
Original post by GGIN
I love this quote.

My patients all seem to find me very amusing! 😂😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending