The Student Room Group

Are there any modern language degrees for english students-europe (france or italy)?

Okay... I'm sick of the way british unis teach. Languages seem like a difficult thing to study in one's native country so i'd rather get fully immersed.

However, I am no way at the level to starting writing essays in italian and my french is starting from zilch. Is there anywhere that it is possibile to do a modern language degree in france or italy, as they are taught here in britain almost, but with french or italian ways of testing (ie. oral exams) and and full immersion?

There must be?
Reply 2

I'm pretty sure Polytechnique offers this as a part of their degree and not as a stand-alone degree. Normal universities, on the other hand, like La Sorbonne or Rennes 2-CIREFE have programmes for foreigners wanting to learn French, and I'm sure you'll be able to pick a second language (CIREFE lets you do that once you reach B2).
La Sorbonne? I'd love to attend that school... Is it a degree or?

I'm doing a gap year now, as I changed my degree from anthropology to italian and want to combine it with french, but need to first re-learn some french! 6 months in france, 6 in italy at least.

If you could guide me about application procedures, funding and courses that have recognition or credits, please do!
Reply 4
Original post by lizfairy
La Sorbonne? I'd love to attend that school... Is it a degree or?

I'm doing a gap year now, as I changed my degree from anthropology to italian and want to combine it with french, but need to first re-learn some french! 6 months in france, 6 in italy at least.

If you could guide me about application procedures, funding and courses that have recognition or credits, please do!

I don't know much, I wouldn't touch French degrees with a bargepole. For La Sorbonne, here's the list of courses on offer. I read in another thread that you were worried about finances, I suggest you don't waste your money on one of those oversubscribed courses in Paris, everything is ridiculously expensive there. Go for somewhere like Strasbourg, Lyon, Rennes, they're all lovely cities with plenty of (French) students, far more affordable and not too far from Paris (Rennes is 3h away by train, Lyon 3/4h). Oh, and there's no funding or accommodation provided, you have to deal with it by yourself.
Original post by Anatheme
I don't know much, I wouldn't touch French degrees with a bargepole. For La Sorbonne, here's the list of courses on offer. I read in another thread that you were worried about finances, I suggest you don't waste your money on one of those oversubscribed courses in Paris, everything is ridiculously expensive there. Go for somewhere like Strasbourg, Lyon, Rennes, they're all lovely cities with plenty of (French) students, far more affordable and not too far from Paris (Rennes is 3h away by train, Lyon 3/4h). Oh, and there's no funding or accommodation provided, you have to deal with it by yourself.

Thank you, this is useful. As a mattere of interest, what's wrong with french degrees?
Reply 6
Original post by lizfairy
Thank you, this is useful. As a mattere of interest, what's wrong with french degrees?

It's not necessarily French degrees, rather the whole French university experience. Everyone treats university as the continuation of school, because that's what it is, and people generally stick together after school and attend their local university. There's no society, no sport club, no real union, you don't get a voice, you can't change things, there is no real support, you just go to your lectures and that's it, your lecturers don't know you, and don't really care either. And when I see the level of students doing English at uni, and compare it to the level I had when I finished school, I'm glad I managed not to end up there.
Reply 7
The French course at La Sorbonne is not a degree, and very, very expensive. To study at any university in France (with the exception of two of the Science Po campuses) at undergraduate level you need at least B2 (a fairly advanced level) in French, and you can't study French itself apart from Français Langue Etrangère, which is for those who speak French to a native or near native level and want to teach it to foreigners.

ULIP (University of London in Paris) offers French degrees, but only at post A- Levek standard.
Reply 8
The French course at La Sorbonne is not a degree, and very, very expensive. To study at any university in France (with the exception of two of the Science Po campuses) at undergraduate level you need at least B2 (a fairly advanced level) in French, and you can't study French itself apart from Français Langue Etrangère, which is for those who speak French to a native or near native level and want to teach it to foreigners.

ULIP (University of London in Paris) offers French degrees, but only at post A- Levek standard.
Reply 9
I have no idea about France or Italy or the type of degree the OP is looking for, but I studied a degree in Translation and Interpretation in Portugal. The thing is...I really had no prior knowledge of Portuguese before going there so I had to pick up the language in about one semester (before the exams). Although I have to admit that I had an advanced level in Spanish at that time (exchange year in Mexico during my upper secondary school) but still, Portuguese and Spanish are different languages (I bet you all knew this :biggrin:). I am native Finnish, by the way. Thanks to my Spanish, I was able to do some research in Internet and seek for Portuguese websites so I was pretty confident although a bit scared before actually going there.

I was in a smaller university and the groups were really tiny, there were not more than 10 students in class so I got direct feedback from the professors and I didn't get lost in mass lectures. So whatever you may want to choose for your degree, I may suggest choosing a small university over a big one, it's much easier to pick up the language and get feedback and make friends right away and so on. You can always take language courses before and during your studies(although you'll need more money for this). It also takes more time but is well worth it. I'd say don't be afraid, just go for it! I wouldn't have learned Portuguese so well if I had stayed in a university in Finland so I definitely recommend a full immersion.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending