Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The other thread is four years old and pretty out of date. A few new halls have been built since it was written. So I figured I'd make a nice new accommodation thread. Thread style shamelessly copied from the St Andrews accommodation thread by ImperceptibleNinja as I liked it.

Disclaimer

The boring but sensible "covering my back" part...

I am just a student at Loughborough, I do not represent the university (or the accommodation centre, Imago, Unite, or anyone else) in any other capacity. I've tried to keep all information accurate, but it is all subject to change and neither me, nor any of the aforementioned parties, nor TSR or any of it's users or staff, can be held responsible if any of this information is incorrect.

"Approximate fees" shown for halls show the prices for the cheapest and most expensive rooms, rounded to the nearest £100, for 2011-2012 entry.

First

Have a look at the accommodation centre website. It covers just about everything you might want to know.

What's in the rooms

- Bed and mattress (no bedding)
    - Desk and drawers
    - Chair
    - Wardrobe (no coathangers)
    - Bin
    - Noticeboard
    - The obvious basic stuff like curtains, carpet, radiator, power sockets (at least 4, possibly 6), lights
    - Potentially a bit more, depending on the hall, but all halls should have the things listed above.

First year accommodation and applying for accommodation

If Loughborough is your firm choice and you complete the accommodation application process properly, you are guaranteed a room. You are not guaranteed your first choice of room.

You will be informed of when you can apply for accommodation. The process of applying for and allocating accommodation takes places over three days; All room types are split into thirds, so one third of each room type (eg ensuite in hall X, wash hand basin in hall Y, etc) is available on each of these three days. It is then first-come first-served, but if the room type you want is unavailable, you can try to get it on one of the other two days.

Unconditional offer holders can apply for accommodation in mid May. Conditional offer holders can apply starting May 31st.

Insurance offer holders / Clearing or Adjustment entry

If Loughborough is your insurance choice, or you get your place through Clearing or Adjustment, you are not guaranteed to be provided with a place in halls. The accommodation centre will do their best to help you, and you may be offered a room subject to availability, but your choice will be limited.

Choosing a hall

Catered or self-catered

Firstly, it's important to note that "catered" does not necessarily mean all your meals are provided for you. The 10 or 15 meals per week options only provide food on Monday to Friday, for meals at weekends, you will need to choose a hall that provides 19 meals per week. Cooking facilities in catered halls can be limited, but as a minimum you can expect a microwave, kettle, toaster, and fridge.

Catered halls have set meal times, which could be a problem if they clash with lectures or tutorials. If you are unable to make it to lunch, you can order a packed lunch in advance and collect it that morning. There is no extra cost for this. There are also baguette options for if you haven't got time to sit down for a meal. Generallt three hot meal options are provided, including a vegetarian option. Meals are on a three-week rotation.

Self-catered halls give you more flexibility, but obviously you will need to do all your own shopping and cooking. All self-catered halls have full cooking facilities including an oven, hob, and freezer, as well as those provided in catered halls. Even if you are completely unable to cook, it doesn't take much effort to reach a level where you can cater for yourself.

Standard/Wash hand basin/Ensuite

A standard room contains no washing facilities at all.
    A room with a "wash hand basin" contains a sink.
    An ensuite room has a separate small bathroom with a toilet, sink, and shower.

Rooms without an ensuite have a toilet and shower (separate rooms) shared by everyone in the flat.

An ensuite room will be more expensive; whether you want one or not is really a matter of personal preference. Some people swear by them, some are perfectly happy without.

Don't choose a hall just because it's close to your department. Except possibly for practical subjects such as engineering or sciences where labs are involved, many subjects do not use their departments for teaching. Business students, for example, will rarely need to go to the business school. Either way, the campus can be crossed in 20-30 minutes (much less on a bike) so there are more important factors.

West park
    Near engineering and the library. Only David Collett hall is in this area.

Village park
    In the middle of the campus. One end is close to engineering and the library, while the other end is near the main lecture halls of James France and the Edward Herbert Building (EHB).

East park
    Near many of the main sports facilities, and closer to the town centre.

Off campus
    There are a few off campus halls, see below for their approximate locations. None are far off campus, in fact some are closer to important buildings than many on campus halls.

Private housing (incomplete)

Don't really know as I've never stayed in it, and I assume most people using this thread are applicants or prospective applicants. Very few first years stay in private housing.

Extra fees

To secure your room, you will be required to pay a room bond (roughly £150). This counts towards the normal accommodation bill, but must be paid within eight days of being offered a room in order to secure it. It can be paid online.

You will also be required to pay "Hall subs". These can be from £60 to over £100 (less for returners) and are set by the hall committee and used to fund socials, sports training, etc. They are compulsory and do not count towards your accommodation bill, they are extra. It can be paid on arriving or shortly after, either by cash or cheque.

You will also be charged an extra £50-£70 (roughly) for accommodation during freshers' week. This will be added onto your first accommodation bill.

Short guide to each hall (incomplete)

Name: Butler Court
    Usually known as: N/A
    Catered/self-catered: Self-catered
    Approximate fees: £3000-£4700
    Ensuites available: Yes
    Notes:
    - Most rooms are ensuite, but also the only hall to offer shared rooms.
    - Well equipped common room.
    Students' views:

Name: Cayley
    Catered/self-catered: Catered, 15 meals per week. Breakfast, lunch, dinner; Monday to Friday
    Approximate fees: £4000-£5100
    Notes:
    Students' views:

Name: David Collett
    Usually known as: DC
    Catered/self-catered: Catered, 19 meals per week. Breakfast, lunch, dinner Monday to Friday; lunch and dinner Saturday and Sunday
    Approximate fees: £5000
    Ensuites available: No
    Notes:
    Students' views:

Name: Elvyn Richards
    Usually known as: Elvyn
    Catered/self-catered: Catered - 10 meals per week. Lunch and dinner; Monday to Friday
    Approximate fees: £5600
    Ensuites available: Yes, all rooms
    Notes:
    - New buildings for 2009-2010.
    - 6-8 people share a large kitchen/dining area.
    - Oversubscribed. Can be hard to get a place.
    - 4ft beds in all rooms.
    Students' views:
    polka_dott: It is usually 8 people sharing a kitchen with two complete ovens. Each person gets a compartment in the freezer and there is a cupboard for each person too. The fees are at least £5700 for next year btw. The kitchen gets cleaned every week and the room + ensuite bathroom every 2 weeks. There is a table to sit at in the kitchen - it is very roomy.
    We have our own dining hall which is used for socials and other things
    Rigg Rutt and Bakewell are exactly the same, except you have to buy the meal package seperately.

Name: Falkner Eggington
    Usually known as: Falk Egg
    Approximate fees: £2700
    Location: Off campus to the southeast, close to main lecture areas (not engineering).
    Notes:
    Students' views:

Name: Faraday
    Catered/self-catered: Catered, 15 meals per week. Breakfast, lunch, dinner; Monday to Friday
    Approximate fees: £4800-£5600
    Notes:
    Students' views:

Name: Forest Court
    Approximate fees: £3100
    Notes:
    - Typically postgrad only.
    Students' views:

Name: Harry French
    Approximate fees: £3100-£5400
    Notes:
    Students' views:

Name: Hazlerigg-Rutland
    Usually known as: Rigg-Rut
    Catered/self-catered: Self-catered (Dining package available - see Elvyn Richards)
    Approximate fees: £4500 (self catered); £5600 (catered)
    Notes:
    - New buildings for 2009-2010.
    - 4ft beds in all rooms.
    Students' views:

Name: John Philips
    Catered/self-catered: Self-catered (Catered package available - see Elvyn Richards)
    Notes:
    - Typically postgrad only.
    - New hall for 2009-2010.
    - 4ft beds in all rooms.
    Students' views:

Name: Robert Bakewell
    Usually known as: Bakewell
    Catered/self-catered: Self-catered (Catered package available - see Elvyn Richards)
    Location: West end of village park, near engineering and library.
    Notes:
    - New hall for 2009-2010.
    - 4ft beds in all rooms.
    Students' views:
    Vican: Bakewell was my first (and really, only) choice and I am so glad I got a room here. Huge beds, huge desk, huge wardrobe, loads of shelf space, lovely en suite, great kitchens and amazing people. There's 400 people living here - you're bound to find quite a few friends very quickly.

And while it may be situated at one end of the campus, it will literally take you two minutes to walk up to the library (believe me, this is a good thing), and if you're going into the Engineering, Maths or Information Science departments, all three are right next door. 3 minute walk to one of the on-campus shops, 10 minute walk to the Union. Loughborough is a huge campus - you walk everywhere anyway, so this won't bother you for long at all.

And if you want to get into town, there are bus-stops outside the library and the Engineering department, and you'll be sitting in McDonald's within 15 minutes (without having to walk there).

Bakewell is really popular, so if you're going to apply, do it quickly. Just like Bill Mo, rooms go fast, and this year there has been an over-abundance of returners applying to get back in, which as vienna224 pointed out, says a lot about the hall.

Plus, the building is at this point only 3 years old, so everything is still fresh and nice. I don't know about you, but I love knowing that only person has lived in my room before me.

Bakewell really is an amazing place to live, and I definitely recommend it

Name: Royce
    Approximate fees: £4400-£5200
    Notes:
    Students' views:
    Melting Sugar.: In Royce there are three types of room: standard WHB, ensuite, ensuite 4ft (some may say these are the nicest, they're the biggest out of the three).

You won't be sharing with more than 8 to 2 showers and 2 toilets in Royce and i've never had to queue when being in standard accommodation

Name: Rutherford
    Approximate fees: £4800-£5600
    Notes:
    Students' views:

Name: Telford
    Approximate fees: £3000-£4000
    Notes:
    Students' views:

Name: The Holt
    Approximate fees: £5000
    Location: Off campus, southeast. Not far from main lecture halls (not engineering).
    Notes:
    - Refurbished for 2010-2011.
    - Quiet off-campus location but not far from main lecture halls (EHB, James France, etc).
    - 3-6 people share a large kitchen/dining area.
    Students' views:

Name: Towers
    Catered/self-catered: Catered, 19 meals per week. Breakfast, lunch, dinner Monday to Friday; lunch and dinner Saturday and Sunday
    Approximate fees: £5100-£5800
    Notes:
    - Refurbished for 2010-2011.
    Students' views:

Name: William Morris
    Usually known as: Bill Mo
    Approximate fees: £3400-£5400
    Notes:
    - 4ft beds in all rooms.
    Students' views:
    Phobia27: William Morris is awesome :sexface: It's pretty much the perfect distance from everything, town is easily walkable, and so is the library/Wolfson, and os the closest hall to the union. Very social hall and amazing prices. I've been in the en suite this year which has been good, but overall I would recommend the WHBs, much cheaper and for some bizarre reason people with WHB get weekly cleaners to clean their kitchens, toilets and showers whilst ensuite do not.

Which halls have ensuite/WHB rooms?

Ensuite:
    - Butler Court
    - Robert Bakewell
    - Cayley
    - Elvyn Richards
    - Faraday
    - Hazlerigg Rutland
    - Royce
    - Rutherford
    - Telford
    - The Holt

WHB:
    - Butler Court
    - Cayley
    - David Collett
    - Faraday
    - Harry French
    - Royce
    - Rutherford
    - Telford
    - Towers
    - William Morris

Can I bring a car?

First years cannot bring a car if staying in halls due to insufficient parking space.
    Update: It's not completely unheard of for first years to be allowed a car if there's space, but they much have "exceptional circumstances".

Returning students staying in halls may bring a car, subject to availability of parking for their hall. There is an annual charge for this, payable to the security office.

FAQ

Read this, and if your question is not answered there, feel free to post it in this thread.

Will add more to this if/when I think of what, and when it's not 1am.

Obviously this is incomplete at the moment, so, current students, I need your help. Anything you want added, particularly to "Notes" and "Students' views" for each hall, either post it here or PM it to me and I'll edit it in. For the "Students' views" part, please only give your opinion on the hall if you have stayed in it in either 2009-2010 or 2010-2011, so the information is up to date. Also, if there's anything I've missed out or got wrong, tell me and I'll add or change it.

People who've helped with this thread:

Melting Sugar.
    Michel Foucault
    Phobia27
    polka_dott
    ragman_wonder
    thomasp
    Vican
    Wednesday Bass

ReputationRep:
    The new for 2014 entry "what hall should I choose" table.

If you know if you want catered or self catered, an en-suite or not, being on campus or off campus, and your approximate budget, this should hopefully be a nice quick way to narrow it down :yep:

http://i.imgur.com/BHJxOn7.jpg

ReputationRep:
    William Morris is awesome :sexface: It's pretty much the perfect distance from everything, town is easily walkable, and so is the library/Wolfson, and os the closest hall to the union. Very social hall and amazing prices. I've been in the en suite this year which has been good, but overall I would recommend the WHBs, much cheaper and for some bizarre reason people with WHB get weekly cleaners to clean their kitchens, toilets and showers whilst ensuite do not. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Great thread! Just as a side note, Forest Court and John Phillips (aka JP) are postgrad-only halls, typically. And Forest Court is about 5mins away from campus.

ReputationRep:
    Should probably add a note that the majority of rooms in Butler are en-suite, but there are shared rooms available.

ReputationRep:
    Updated, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah forgot to mention all Bill Mo rooms have double beds :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phobia27)
    Oh yeah forgot to mention all Bill Mo rooms have double beds :sexface:
    Do you mean actual double beds, or 4ft beds which aren't technically doubles?

ReputationRep:
    In Royce there are three types of room: standard WHB, ensuite, ensuite 4ft (some may say these are the nicest, they're the biggest out of the three).

You won't be sharing with more than 8 to 2 showers and 2 toilets in Royce and i've never had to queue when being in standard accommodation

Butler have insane facilities in their common room.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, added.

ReputationRep:
    Probably also worth adding that Butler's the only hall on campus that offers twin rooms (two beds, one room). The Deluxe rooms are the same size, but with only one bed in them (single occupancy in other words)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Do you mean actual double beds, or 4ft beds which aren't technically doubles?
    4ft, but they're about 20cm off being a double and everyone bring double bed sheets anyway so I just call them double. You'd have a tough time finding sheets and bedding for 4ft beds :ahee:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's worth noting that there are "hall subs" which you must pay in addition to your rent. These vary from £60-£100+ depending on the hall. They are set by the hall committee and are compulsory.

Failure to pay hall subs is considered a debt against the university which will prevent you from graduating.

These subs help to fund hall socials, sport, etc. The more you get involved in your hall, the more you get back from your subs, note though, that even if you do no hall socials, no hall sport, never use the common room, you are still required to pay the subs.

ReputationRep:
    On top of your hall subs you also get charged a room bond AND you'll be sent another request for money when they let you know there was an additional fee for the week you spent here during freshers week which isn't included in the overall price (in royce for standard rooms last year this was about £50ish - it appeared where the freshers subs were originally in the prices pdf)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks both of you, added a new section, "Extra fees".

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, does anyone know when do we apply for accommodation ? I already firmed Loughborough x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LY9)
    Hey guys, does anyone know when do we apply for accommodation ? I already firmed Loughborough x
    You'll be told in early May exactly when you can apply. If you're offer is unconditional, it's late May. If you're offer is conditional, it's early June.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for making this thread, it's a great help I swear every time I think about accommodation my decisions change and I think 'Ooh but MAYBE...THIS would be beter' etc lol.

Do the wardens make sure UGs are put together in flats etc or is it normal for you to be next door to a few 2nd/3rd years? e.g. as Rigg-Rut has very few rooms compared to most other halls, if they get filled up with returners and unconditional students and there are only a few spaces for conditionals, and would that not be as sociable or is it generally not a problem? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel_Leah)
    Thanks for making this thread, it's a great help I swear every time I think about accommodation my decisions change and I think 'Ooh but MAYBE...THIS would be beter' etc lol.

Do the wardens make sure UGs are put together in flats etc or is it normal for you to be next door to a few 2nd/3rd years? e.g. as Rigg-Rut has very few rooms compared to most other halls, if they get filled up with returners and unconditional students and there are only a few spaces for conditionals, and would that not be as sociable or is it generally not a problem? x
    As far as I know, the wardens try to keep freshers together as they're all in the same boat of not knowing anyone. When you've applied you fill out a fire safety questionnaire and fill in a few details (things like hobbies and interests) and the warden tries to match you up with other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    As far as I know, the wardens try to keep freshers together as they're all in the same boat of not knowing anyone. When you've applied you fill out a fire safety questionnaire and fill in a few details (things like hobbies and interests) and the warden tries to match you up with other people.
    Ahh that's pretty cool. I'm trying not to get excited or too curious because if I don't get the grades in August I'll be gutted. Thanks for the reply x

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.