The Student Room Group

Psychology A Unit 3 AQA - 17th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
Original post by Converse
Anyone got any biological rhythms and sleep notes?

There you go :smile:
biological rhythms.doc
it's basically notes shorten down from Nelson Thrones' book
Original post by worthyg
If it's easy enough could you make some key points of these other theories for me, please? It would be great!

Ok, can only find Lee (1984):
he did a survey of 112 breakups of premarital romantic relationships. he found that the relationships that had been the strongest took the longest time to work through the five stages:
1) dissatisfaction - partners discover problems in the relationship
2) exposure - the problems are identified and brought out into the open
3) negotiation - some discussion about the issues raised during the exposure period
4) resolution attempts - partners try to find ways of solving the problems
5) termination - if the resolution attempts are unsuccessful, then the relationship breaks down.

couple of evaluation points:
Lee mainly looks at events leading up to dissolution but Duck looks at processes afterwards
neither model explains why relationships breakdown
Lee's model doesnt look at the impact of the termination of the 'dumped' and the 'dumper'
doesnt consider sex differences
more optimistic than Duck as Lee gives a chance for resolution but still deterministic
ethical issue - socially sensitive

think thats about it but im sure theres more evaluative points, they're just what i have written in from of me at the moment! hope that helps :smile:
Original post by worthyg
There you go :smile:
biological rhythms.doc
it's basically notes shorten down from Nelson Thrones' book

Thank you. Have some metaphorical positive rep.
You may have saved my life:smile:
Reply 1043
Original post by Larfs
Outline Gardner’s theory of multiple intelligences. (5 marks)
0 9 Outline and evaluate the role of genetic factors in intelligence test performance.
(4 marks + 16 marks)

Discuss evolutionary explanations of human aggression. (9 marks + 16 marks)

aw thankyouuu, what do you reckon will come up for intelligence in this one then?
Reply 1044
Original post by Finolarose
Ok, can only find Lee (1984):
he did a survey of 112 breakups of premarital romantic relationships. he found that the relationships that had been the strongest took the longest time to work through the five stages:
1) dissatisfaction - partners discover problems in the relationship
2) exposure - the problems are identified and brought out into the open
3) negotiation - some discussion about the issues raised during the exposure period
4) resolution attempts - partners try to find ways of solving the problems
5) termination - if the resolution attempts are unsuccessful, then the relationship breaks down.

couple of evaluation points:
Lee mainly looks at events leading up to dissolution but Duck looks at processes afterwards
neither model explains why relationships breakdown
Lee's model doesnt look at the impact of the termination of the 'dumped' and the 'dumper'
doesnt consider sex differences
more optimistic than Duck as Lee gives a chance for resolution but still deterministic
ethical issue - socially sensitive

think thats about it but im sure theres more evaluative points, they're just what i have written in from of me at the moment! hope that helps :smile:

thank you very much! sounds fairly straight forward :smile: although i still hope they're not thinking of making it a 25 mark. would rather expect a 5 mark on it as there is not too many studies to support..
What is the nature of sleep ? Im confused how to get a 25 mark out of that
Reply 1046
Original post by themanwhoishere
What is the nature of sleep ? Im confused how to get a 25 mark out of that

Unlikely that it is going to be a 25marker. It's all knowledge and understanding. Sleep states, NREM, REM, EEG recordings.
My textbook says that 'if you are asked a question on the nature of sleep, you can talk about ultradian rhythms, lifespan changes, functions of sleep and EVEN sleep disorders', I find sleep disorders and functions of sleep the easiest...

for example if they ask 'outline the nature of sleep', how would i approach the question through talking about sleep disorders and functions of sleep??thanks :smile:
what issues and debates could you put in for disrupting biological rhythms? E.G.

Reductionism
Psychology as a science
Nature/nurture
Determinism/freewill
Cultural bias
Gender bias
Ethical issues

Not sure how any of these would apply.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1049
I am soooo confused right now with the disrupting biological rhythms question. In specimen paper there is a question on role of endogenous pacemakers and exogenous zeitgebers in sleep/waking cycle - is jet lag and shift work not a part of it? plus there is not too many issues and debates in shift work and jet lag - just consequences and factors affecting the severity/approaches to cope. I wonder, if tomorrow's question will be on disrupting biological rhythms, what way would they word it and if not - what else could they ask?

I was thinking, restoration models as a function od sleep may be also asked. Quite a great detail in it. Also evolutionary explanations were never asked, just general question on discussing one or more function of sleep. Can't do it anymoreeeee :frown:((
How likely do people think it is that life span changes in sleep or evolutionary explanations of aggression would come up ? Would I be able to get away with not revising these ? Thanks
Reply 1051
Original post by tomandsnow2
How likely do people think it is that life span changes in sleep or evolutionary explanations of aggression would come up ? Would I be able to get away with not revising these ? Thanks

Lifespan changes came up twice. As long as you know the basics of it (in an unlikely case they would actually ask it) you will be grand :smile: Although, I don't bother with revising it.
Actually, I suppose you could mention nature/nurture in terms of the endogenous pacemakers and exogenous zeitgebers, since a combination of both I.E. nature and nurture combine resulting in jetlag. Hmmm
Reply 1053
Original post by IFondledAGibbon
Actually, I suppose you could mention nature/nurture in terms of the endogenous pacemakers and exogenous zeitgebers, since a combination of both I.E. nature and nurture combine resulting in jetlag. Hmmm

I was wondering there, maybe you could mention that gender differences were not investigated (beta bias) - jet lag and shift work may affect women or men more depending on sexual dimorphisicm? Although, I'm not 100% sure, just thought of there now..
Original post by worthyg
I was wondering there, maybe you could mention that gender differences were not investigated (beta bias) - jet lag and shift work may affect women or men more depending on sexual dimorphisicm? Although, I'm not 100% sure, just thought of there now..

Yeah, I think those would work. Although I haven't bothered learning much shift work stuff. Seems like there's enough on jetlag to write an essay. Do you think that would be a mistake?
I've posted my essay plans on page 45 of this thread if any one would like to use them, mixture of Eating, Bio.Rhythms and Aggression!
Also, this is another aggression one that i've just done. :-)

I'm starting to dread this exam, thought everything was going ok until it hit me that my predictions might not actually come up.. then i'd literally be screwed!
Good luck everyone!
Relationship notes, anyone? Specifically:
The relationship between sexual selection and human reproductive behaviour
Evolutionary explanations of parental investment: for example, sex differences,
parent-offspring conflict
The influence of childhood and adolescent experiences on adult relationships,
including parent-child relationships and interaction with peer
Anyone got any idea what might come up for Gender?
I know January's one was on Kohlberg (awful!)
Reply 1058
Both my Business Studies and English exams came up with the questions that I really didn't want to come up... Thus I am forced to think that Group Display will come up for aggression.
I want to cry :'(

*back to revision*..
Bye Bye Uni!
any predictions about what will come up for sleep, relationships or eating behaviours!?

IM SERIOUSLY STRESSED!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending