The Student Room Group

AS Further Maths ?

So this year i'm doing AS Maths, and next year A2 Maths but also opted to do AS Further Maths.

That being said,

I will have:

C1
C2
C3
C4
S1
(Another extra module like M1/D1/S2)

For my maths grade

And in addition I will do:

FP1
(Another extra module like M1/D1/S2) x 2

For my further maths,

But how is my Further Maths AS graded? Does it use anything like C1/C2 etc?

Thanks,

Jorge x
Yeah it requires some knowledge from C1/C2 for fp1 anyway
FP2 and 3 require C3/C4 knowledge
FP4 requires mostly C4 knowledge of vectors

and further AS maths you just do 3 modules but if you do better in your M2/S2 than you do in your M1/S1 for normal maths you can swap the module results so your better score counts for your A2
Reply 2
So let's say I got 100/100 UMS in S1 this summer, then took Further Maths AS next year... I could use that S1 score as part of my Further Maths AS?

And alternatively, if I got 70/100 UMS then did S2 and got 100/100 I could switch that in to improve my maths grade?

So, apart from the time consumption, Further Maths benefits my Maths :biggrin:

To check, Further Maths AS is simply graded on FP1 + 2 side modules only? :smile:
Reply 3
Can anyone confirm this? :smile:

Thanks,

Jorge x
Reply 4
For the FM you must have FP1 and then two others which have not already been used for the a level. So if your maths a level uses the M1 and S1, then you're last two will be given to the fm as level. They will always make your A level in maths better than your fmaths. So..

maths: C1,2,3,4 and either M1,2 or S1,2 or M1,S1.
f.maths: FP1 and then two more of whatever is left over.
Reply 5
Ah ok, thanks !

Is FP1 difficult in relation to C2 perhaps?
Reply 6
FP1 is quite easy if you are good at maths, it gets much harder at FP2.
Reply 7
I think I can cope with AS Further Maths then :smile:

Only taken Core1 so far and got 91/100 UMS and feeling good for C2/S1 in summer !
Reply 8
I don't know if its the same for every exam board, but for MEI, they make up your maths a level first - using the modules which will give you the highest grade with the lowets UMS. So if in one module you got 90/100 and another you got 60/100, and you could still get an A with the 60, that one would be used.

ts a good system - means your grade is automatically maxmised :biggrin:

EDIT: And for the actual subject, FP1 is quite different - introduces a lot of new techniques which I found a bit difficult to understand at first. But it was realtively easy after doing plenty of questions etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Ah expect nothing less from mathematicians !

Hopefully I can solve that by getting over 80 UMS in everything !

Thanks guys x

Quick Reply

Latest