The Student Room Group

Question about money

Hi all,

For those existing students, how much money do you spend in a typical month?

I'm a mature student re-entering education in September after a decade or so in the working world, and think it will come as a bit of a shock going back to a student lifestyle!

How much would you spend, not including accommodation, in a typical month?

Thanks!
Original post by islanders
Hi all,

I'm a mature student re-entering education in September after a decade or so in the working world, and think it will come as a bit of a shock going back to a student lifestyle!

Thanks!

I spend £240 a month. Or £60 a week. £20 for food, £20 for the pub, £20 for any events etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Jack7Richards
I spend £240 a month. Or £60 a week. £20 for food, £20 for the pub, £20 for any events etc.

Incredibly useful, thank you
I spend about 160 a month not including accommodation :smile:
Reply 4
I spent whatever I had.
Reply 5
Original post by islanders
Hi all,

Thanks!

I've done some rough calculations including accommodation and it comes to around £7500 a year.
Per week: £20 food, £5 clothes/shoes similar, £15 bus fares to clinical placement in yrs 3-5, approx £15 energy/water/tv license, average £5 books/stationery, £10 going out, £4 internet

I think that covered most of it. In my first few years I was happy to live off Tesco value food, so food bills cost a lot less. As I got nearer to the end I got fed up with plastic food and would indulge a bit more. There are a lot of ways to save as a student though - in Birmingham there's a big market in the middle of town where I used to get a lot of my fruit and veg so much cheaper than the supermarket, and also loo rolls / cleaning stuff / that kind of thing.
Reply 7
Original post by junior.doctor
Per week: £20 food, £5 clothes/shoes similar, £15 bus fares to clinical placement in yrs 3-5, approx £15 energy/water/tv license, average £5 books/stationery, £10 going out, £4 internet

I think that covered most of it. In my first few years I was happy to live off Tesco value food, so food bills cost a lot less. As I got nearer to the end I got fed up with plastic food and would indulge a bit more. There are a lot of ways to save as a student though - in Birmingham there's a big market in the middle of town where I used to get a lot of my fruit and veg so much cheaper than the supermarket, and also loo rolls / cleaning stuff / that kind of thing.

Thanks all, really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending