The Student Room Group

My tuition fee loan is on the 18th but my bank is asking for the money on the 2nd

I'm stressing bad! I am on both the Tuition and Maintenance Loan. I got my maintenance a few days ago so that's sorted and so I was expecting my Tuition to be paid on the 18th of October, but I got a notification from my bank this morning about a direct debit request scheduled for the 2nd of October from my University.

This is my first year so I have no idea how SFE works, I assumed this would be handled between the University and SFE, how come I'm being asked to pay the money? And so much more time in advance too? Is this how it usually work or has there been some sort of error in the system?

I have already contacted Student Finance which have redirected me to contacting my bank (I am currently in the caller queue) as they believe the bank may have made a mistake

I do have enough money to pay for the Tuition Fee in the student account I have (I have a student account and my normal current account, they are requesting money from the latter) so I was contemplating transferring the money necessary to the current account in case this isn't resolved by Monday which begs another question: If I do that will I be able to get my money back as there is still a payment being scheduled for the 18th of October for my Tuition?

I have also talked to my mentor who suggested not doing so as they would simply not collect the money but would lead to worsening my credit score (So I won't be doing that lol)

I did ask Student Finance about this idea and they were in support, they said I'd be redirected to the repayment hub or something of the sort where they'd give me my money back

I'm writing this in case someone has had to go through something like this too? If so what did you do?
Original post by don.aj444
I'm stressing bad! I am on both the Tuition and Maintenance Loan. I got my maintenance a few days ago so that's sorted and so I was expecting my Tuition to be paid on the 18th of October, but I got a notification from my bank this morning about a direct debit request scheduled for the 2nd of October from my University.

This is my first year so I have no idea how SFE works, I assumed this would be handled between the University and SFE, how come I'm being asked to pay the money? And so much more time in advance too? Is this how it usually work or has there been some sort of error in the system?

I have already contacted Student Finance which have redirected me to contacting my bank (I am currently in the caller queue) as they believe the bank may have made a mistake

I do have enough money to pay for the Tuition Fee in the student account I have (I have a student account and my normal current account, they are requesting money from the latter) so I was contemplating transferring the money necessary to the current account in case this isn't resolved by Monday which begs another question: If I do that will I be able to get my money back as there is still a payment being scheduled for the 18th of October for my Tuition?

I have also talked to my mentor who suggested not doing so as they would simply not collect the money but would lead to worsening my credit score (So I won't be doing that lol)

I did ask Student Finance about this idea and they were in support, they said I'd be redirected to the repayment hub or something of the sort where they'd give me my money back

I'm writing this in case someone has had to go through something like this too? If so what did you do?

Hi there,

We pay the Tuition Fee Loan directly to your university. So, it's never something that you should need to do yourself.

How did this direct debit get set up, do you know? Has your university told you why they expect you to pay anything?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

We pay the Tuition Fee Loan directly to your university. So, it's never something that you should need to do yourself.

How did this direct debit get set up, do you know? Has your university told you why they expect you to pay anything?

Thanks, Graeme

Hello! Turns out I mixed up two separate payments, the balance requested for the correct one is almost the exact same as the one for my Tuition fee save for one digit which is why I was confused! It's all sorted now :biggrin:
Original post by don.aj444
Hello! Turns out I mixed up two separate payments, the balance requested for the correct one is almost the exact same as the one for my Tuition fee save for one digit which is why I was confused! It's all sorted now :biggrin:

Thanks for advising us. Any further questions then do let us know. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending