The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
JKA
OP
JKA
Is anyone doing a BCL at Oxford? If yes, then what kind of grades are expected at undergraduate level? I am hoping to get a 2:1 (65%). Any suggestions.

hmmm......
Reply 2
What's a BCL?
Reply 3
kildare
What's a BCL?
I think everyone was thinking that...
Reply 4
JKA
OP
Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL).....the eq. of masters at Oxford....
Reply 5
JKA
Is anyone doing a BCL at Oxford? If yes, then what kind of grades are expected at undergraduate level? I am hoping to get a 2:1 (65%). Any suggestions.

More like 75%...sorry to be the one to tell you. The BCL is one of the most highly regarded degrees at Oxford, essentially a Law masters for those of you who are wondering.
Reply 6
More suited to those who wish to go down the academic route then, rather then those who just wish to work for a firm in the City, I suppose?
Reply 7
kildare
More suited to those who wish to go down the academic route then, rather then those who just wish to work for a firm in the City, I suppose?

In theory I think that's true. It's certainly the case that you'd benefit more from it if you were an aspiring academic. Although, it's prestige is such that it would help almost anyone along, even if they are not going into the legal prof., esp. someone wanting to become a Barrister-as it's gotten so competitive.
Reply 8
JKA
OP
Which degree is better in your opinion: BCL or LLM from Cambridge? any idea what is required for the latter?
Reply 9
BCL is definately regarded as being better - possibly the best of its type in the world.
Reply 10
JKA
OP
smashgro
BCL is definately regarded as being better - possibly the best of its type in the world.

Hmm...any idea of the entry requirement of the latter..i.e. LLM at Cambridge?
Reply 11
JKA
Hmm...any idea of the entry requirement of the latter..i.e. LLM at Cambridge?

Certainly a lot easier. Although I'd imagine you need a first. According to the faculty website, which you may consider looking at, it states a first or in exceptional circumstances a good 2:1. Be warned though that often for grad. study when Oxbridge ask for a high 2:1 they end up with something like 300/400 apps for about 30 odd places, so you can imagine where the offers go.

I don't think there's any real point doing an overly academic postgrad. course at an institution like Cambridge without a first, unless you're happy to merely pass their degree.
if you have a degree bcl is it ok to do a masters bcl even though then officially you will have 2 bcls.
also what percentage is a first?
Reply 13
roxy potter
if you have a degree bcl is it ok to do a masters bcl even though then officially you will have 2 bcls.
also what percentage is a first?

eh? The BCL is a post graduate degree offered by Oxford. Not a lot of point doing the same course twice. If you're thinking you get some sort of BCL for doing an undergraduate degree in Law at Oxford you're sadly mistaken, you get a BA. As other people have stated it's not easy to get in to do a BCL, a first is a minimum - no idea about the Cambridge equivalent. As for careers, I have a mate who finished his BCL 18 months ago, he's now working as a barrister in London, but currently he spends a lot of time going around the various county courts.

What percentage is a 1st? - Generally regarded as about 70% at Oxford, 60% is 2:1, 50% 2:2, 40% 3rd.
bcl is the name of the udergrad law degree you get in ireland?
roxy potter
bcl is the name of the udergrad law degree you get in ireland?

Quite right, roxy. The BCL (Bachelor of Civil Law) is one of the undergraduate law degrees at the National University. Trinity has an LLB course.
davey_boy
Generally regarded as about 70% at Oxford, 60% is 2:1, 50% 2:2, 40% 3rd.

Well that's a very rough guess, but I suppose so. I think 59% is usually still 2:1 (for humanities anyway).
Reply 17
hildabeast
Well that's a very rough guess, but I suppose so. I think 59% is usually still 2:1 (for humanities anyway).

Always knew Humanities were easier than Sciences :wink:
Reply 18
I was recently told that my application for the BCL had been accepted by the Facutly but was being circulated to the colleges for formal consideration. Does anyone know how much more competitive this college-stage of the process is?
I'm an undergrad lawyer but my understaning is that for the BCL you get accepted by the faculty then pretty much assigned a college. I don't know for sure so don't rely on this but I think that the college part is just a formality, it's not at all like Undergraduate admissions.

As for grades for Oxford students a high 2:1 or a first is needed along with a good reference from your tutors. Non-Oxford I believe a first is required but they do exercise discretion.

From what I've heard it is the best masters law degree, much better than Cambridge, reflected in the numbers of students who change from other Universities including Cambridge to do the BCL.

Latest

Trending

Trending