The Student Room Group

When the Libyan Intervention goes out of hand soon, I'll be like "I told you so"

The Libyan Intervention is based upon lies. We will soon find out the repercussions of this intervention in the coming weeks or months.
Until then, let this thread be proof that me and other sceptics of the Libyan Intervention, were right about this.

You can discuss why you think we should or should not stay in Libya.
Reply 1
no ones going to reply to this thread because mesa been a bad boy this week with all the postings on TSR threadings :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by darknessbehold

1. We are not in Libya... Special forces does not count.
2. It isn't out of hand for us, we are still within the bounds of UNSC 1973.
3. I'll be hear to say "I told you" so.
Reply 3
Original post by tehFrance
1. We are not in Libya... Special forces does not count.
2. It isn't out of hand for us, we are still within the bounds of UNSC 1973.
3. I'll be hear to say "I told you" so.

you're on, matey :bandit:
Reply 4
I agree, I'll be there to say I told you so when we see foreign troops on the ground.
The only troops who will ever be on the ground if it goes that far will be peacekeepers operating under the aegis of the UN or AU, and even then that will only happen if the current fighting remains inconclusive.
Reply 6
When is NATO going to start bombing the Ivory Coast?
Reply 7
Egypt has one of the largest militaries in the world, the largest in Africa and the middle east, they speak arabic, they under stand Arab culture, they are (since the removal of Mubarak) supposedly a nation in alignment with the wider arab protester/resistance movement, as far as I know they have no border disputes with Libya.
If Egypt gave the offer of heavy artillery brigades, maybe even tank divisions, to reenforce existing rebel forces, take orders from rebel commanders, and ultimately be under the command of the rebel council.
In this situation, Gaddafi forces (which are very very weak for a nation-state) would be fairly methodically defeated militarily. Enough of a momentum towards tripoli, and you'll have the mercenaries turning home (their pay-master soon won't be able to pay anyone, their own lives start to look more compromised), and more of the remainder of the libyan army deserting, either to disappear into the populace, or to the rebel factions.

What the libyans do not want is other countries taking over their war. They want to decide the priorities, where to attack, defend, re-enforce. And they do not want some ignorant American/British/Western meatheads rolling across the desert securing 'strategic assets' at their own digression.

We will never send in ground forces, we just NEVER will, it's just in noone's interest to do so. It will not happen.
Other people have mentioned special forces, that's always a possibility (not sure if it's an actuality quite yet).
Original post by creak
When is NATO going to start bombing the Ivory Coast?

The UN is already in Ivory Coast supporting, or at the very least protecting, anti-Gbagbo forces.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
It has broken out. The legitimate president has been refused office by the incumbent; the latter's forces are killing and abusing civilians and fighting rebel forces loyal to the former. Yet not a peep from Cameron, for example. I wonder why?
Reply 10
The Libyan Intervention is based upon lies. We will soon find out the repercussions of this intervention in the coming weeks or months.
Until then, let this thread be proof that me and other sceptics of the Libyan Intervention, were right about this.

Well I would discuss it but we are not IN Libya as it were. More flying above bombing strategic targets.

But still may as well go on record here in saying that if we do go further in I will not be happy despite my support so far.
Reply 11
You'll be proven right, just like the Iraq war sceptics were.

It's such a shame that so many more will die due to Western intervention (if only because it'll keep the battle going on long enough when otherwise Gadaffi would have crushed the rebellions in days) when the pointless task of air strikes and a no-fly zone was clear from the outset.
Original post by AnHuman

Original post by AnHuman
Egypt has one of the largest militaries in the world, the largest in Africa and the middle east, they speak arabic, they under stand Arab culture, they are (since the removal of Mubarak) supposedly a nation in alignment with the wider arab protester/resistance movement, as far as I know they have no border disputes with Libya.
If Egypt gave the offer of heavy artillery brigades, maybe even tank divisions, to reenforce existing rebel forces, take orders from rebel commanders, and ultimately be under the command of the rebel council.
In this situation, Gaddafi forces (which are very very weak for a nation-state) would be fairly methodically defeated militarily. Enough of a momentum towards tripoli, and you'll have the mercenaries turning home (their pay-master soon won't be able to pay anyone, their own lives start to look more compromised), and more of the remainder of the libyan army deserting, either to disappear into the populace, or to the rebel factions.

What the libyans do not want is other countries taking over their war. They want to decide the priorities, where to attack, defend, re-enforce. And they do not want some ignorant American/British/Western meatheads rolling across the desert securing 'strategic assets' at their own digression.

We will never send in ground forces, we just NEVER will, it's just in noone's interest to do so. It will not happen.
Other people have mentioned special forces, that's always a possibility (not sure if it's an actuality quite yet).

Egypt is under military rule and are in a post-revolutionary transitional period, it'd be stupid of them to get involved militarily in Libya given their domestic situation. Once a government is elected in Egypt, then they can plan an intervention if necessary with public accountability. The military don't have this atm. They are supplying arms to the rebels but they'd need an elected parliament to decide on an intervention.
Reply 13

I agree with you that intervening in Libya was wrong, but it would be good to know what are those "lies" you speak of?
If anything I would say the intervention was very reluctant, only powered by British hate of Gaddafi and the mutual feeling of the French and British who did not want to see a blood bath in Benghaz (for humanitarian reasons?)i. Please don't just say oil without having some serious justification, it is just too vague and common and I seriously think that given the reluctance of the West to intervene they knew it is just not worth it.

A video has surfaced apparently showing Libyan rebels interrogating then executing soldiers (whilst shouting God is great). Another appears to show them cutting a soldiers heart out, burning it then putting it on display in addition to hangings. Are these really "peaceful protesters fighting for freedom"? If these videos have any credibility at all then they're no better than Gaddafi themselves.

We know there is an extremest element within the ranks of the rebels and it's said to be small but these videos feature sizable crowds suggesting that this is supported behavior especially when you consider the general attitudes of north east Libya (the rebel epicenter). Do we really want to arm these people let alone thrust them into power?
Reply 15
'Humanitarian reasons' makes me laugh. It's the classic good vs evil battle played out in the media to make us think that we're the good guys.

Gadaffi has been on 'the list' of people we would rather be without for years, now we finally saw the opportunity and acted on it.
**** these conflicts. There's a hundred other ****hole nations on this planet with dictators. Its not up to us to solve everyones problems (if you can call this entire mess 'solving' anyway)
Reply 17
Not really, most people knew that this would get messy.

Original post by thisisnew
A video has surfaced apparently showing Libyan rebels interrogating then executing soldiers (whilst shouting God is great). Another appears to show them cutting a soldiers heart out, burning it then putting it on display in addition to hangings. Are these really "peaceful protesters fighting for freedom"? If these videos have any credibility at all then they're no better than Gaddafi themselves.

We know there is an extremest element within the ranks of the rebels and it's said to be small but these videos feature sizable crowds suggesting that this is supported behavior especially when you consider the general attitudes of north east Libya (the rebel epicenter). Do we really want to arm these people let alone thrust them into power?

100pc agree. No doubt it will instantly be ignored or even dismissed as Gaddafi orchestrated propaganda.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending