The Student Room Group

Does it matter if a university is a small one or a big one.... ?

I was thinking about this yesterday, I have applied to 5 choices and 2 of them are small Universities ( below 10,000 Student population ) and the other other's are bigger Universities ( Between 18 - 30,000 students ). Anyway, I was just curious as to whether the size of the University matters in terms of overall experience, or are bigger Universities split into Smaller areas anyway? My friend applied to university last year in London, but the Campus was in Kent. She said it was only a small campus, but she liked the closeness of all the students there, because it was smaller. What do you guys think..?
Reply 1
Original post by TheEnigmaUK
I was thinking about this yesterday, I have applied to 5 choices and 2 of them are small Universities ( below 10,000 Student population ) and the other other's are bigger Universities ( Between 18 - 30,000 students ). Anyway, I was just curious as to whether the size of the University matters in terms of overall experience, or are bigger Universities split into Smaller areas anyway? My friend applied to university last year in London, but the Campus was in Kent. She said it was only a small campus, but she liked the closeness of all the students there, because it was smaller. What do you guys think..?

The more people there are obviously the more likely it will be to find someone perfect for you. Both for friendship and relationships.

Its pretty much up to you, whether you enjoy it or not.
I don't think it would matter cos you'd get the closeness from people you live with and the sense of being in a big community from walking around campus.
It depends what you personally prefer; neither is intrinsically "better" than the other.
Reply 4
But are bigger Universities split into different campuses? If so, then it would be about the same amount of students on that campus, right?
Original post by TheEnigmaUK
But are bigger Universities split into different campuses? If so, then it would be about the same amount of students on that campus, right?

This depends on the uni. As you've only applied to 3 big unis you can check. If it doesn't say in their prospectus there is probably a map at the back which will make it obvious.
Bigger uni = more places
Reply 7
Original post by Imperial Blitz

Bigger uni = more places

But that doesn't necessarily mean more places for your subject. They may be able to do more obscure subjects, or to do combinations. If you want to do Economics but they have a place for Economics and Russian that won't help.
Original post by Juno
But that doesn't necessarily mean more places for your subject. They may be able to do more obscure subjects, or to do combinations. If you want to do Economics but they have a place for Economics and Russian that won't help.

I was being broad in my statement!
Reply 9

I was being broad in my statement!

Wonderful. Next time, try to be helpful too.
Reply 10
It depends on preferences really. It also depends if you'd prefer to be in a more rural or urban environment. But you can be in a rural type campus which is close to a city.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending