Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does it matter if a university is a small one or a big one.... ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about this yesterday, I have applied to 5 choices and 2 of them are small Universities ( below 10,000 Student population ) and the other other's are bigger Universities ( Between 18 - 30,000 students ). Anyway, I was just curious as to whether the size of the University matters in terms of overall experience, or are bigger Universities split into Smaller areas anyway? My friend applied to university last year in London, but the Campus was in Kent. She said it was only a small campus, but she liked the closeness of all the students there, because it was smaller. What do you guys think..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEnigmaUK)
    I was thinking about this yesterday, I have applied to 5 choices and 2 of them are small Universities ( below 10,000 Student population ) and the other other's are bigger Universities ( Between 18 - 30,000 students ). Anyway, I was just curious as to whether the size of the University matters in terms of overall experience, or are bigger Universities split into Smaller areas anyway? My friend applied to university last year in London, but the Campus was in Kent. She said it was only a small campus, but she liked the closeness of all the students there, because it was smaller. What do you guys think..?
    The more people there are obviously the more likely it will be to find someone perfect for you. Both for friendship and relationships.

Its pretty much up to you, whether you enjoy it or not.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would matter cos you'd get the closeness from people you live with and the sense of being in a big community from walking around campus.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It depends what you personally prefer; neither is intrinsically "better" than the other.

ReputationRep:
    But are bigger Universities split into different campuses? If so, then it would be about the same amount of students on that campus, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEnigmaUK)
    But are bigger Universities split into different campuses? If so, then it would be about the same amount of students on that campus, right?
    This depends on the uni. As you've only applied to 3 big unis you can check. If it doesn't say in their prospectus there is probably a map at the back which will make it obvious.

ReputationRep:
    Bigger uni = more places
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Imperial Blitz)
    Bigger uni = more places
    But that doesn't necessarily mean more places for your subject. They may be able to do more obscure subjects, or to do combinations. If you want to do Economics but they have a place for Economics and Russian that won't help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    But that doesn't necessarily mean more places for your subject. They may be able to do more obscure subjects, or to do combinations. If you want to do Economics but they have a place for Economics and Russian that won't help.
    I was being broad in my statement!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Imperial Blitz)
    I was being broad in my statement!
    Wonderful. Next time, try to be helpful too.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on preferences really. It also depends if you'd prefer to be in a more rural or urban environment. But you can be in a rural type campus which is close to a city.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.