The Student Room Group

Applying for Uni Two Years After Finishing

After spending a gap year traveling and one employed I've finally made my applications for uni in Scotland, through clearing. Just wondering what other people's experiences were going starting on in their studies and any advice on applying a few years away from full-time education.
Original post by MKtheBruce
After spending a gap year traveling and one employed I've finally made my applications for uni in Scotland, through clearing. Just wondering what other people's experiences were going starting on in their studies and any advice on applying a few years away from full-time education.

Hey there :smile:
I've popped your thread into university life :yep:
Hopefully it helps you get a few more replies
:bump:
Cheese

Hi @MKtheBruce,

Starting university after a gap can feel both exciting and challenging. It will help to set clear goals to begin with in order to regain your motivation and sense of purpose when transitioning back into full-time studies. Recognize that there might be an adjustment period as you get back into the academic routine! Be patient with yourself :smile: Take some time to review any foundational knowledge or skills related to your chosen course of study and perhaps develop a study schedule that accommodates your classes, study time, and other commitments. Balance is key!

Ensure you build relationships with professors, classmates, and others in your program. Doesn’t matter how late you come into your studies, you can always make friends and connect with others! Networking can also lead to valuable opportunities down the road. Lastly, don’t forget to acknowledge and celebrate your milestones, no matter how small. Every step forward is an accomplishment.

Remember that you're not alone in this journey. Many students return to education after a gap, and universities are equipped to support your success. Take it one step at a time and embrace the learning experience.

All the best,
Ellie

Hi there,
Firstly, best of luck with your uni applications. I actually took two years off before start university myself. I have to say that the extra life experience did come in handy - I was much more confident making friends, joining societies, speaking to people in my accommodation and asking my lecturers for help. I would definitely say that the age gap is not that big when it comes to yourself and other first years, so don't worry about that. In terms of applying, use your gap years to your advantage - show all the skills you've learned and experiences that you've had.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Reply 4
Thanks, you've answered my lingering questions perfectly. entering back into study seemed daunting but those words have definitely made me realize some fears that I had won't be such an issue, after evaluating my skills and the self-improvements I've grown with my time and experiences abroad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending