The Student Room Group

Russian History Coursework (part B), very stuck

Making yet another 'help me' thread on the coursework :P My teacher is really bad at helping us so I've been turning to TSR.

My question is:
How significant was the work of the reforming leaders in changing the nature of Russian government and society in the years 1856-1964?

I am totally stuck, it's in for 2 weeks and I haven't done anything. I barely have any historiography on Lenin, Nicholas II and Khrushchev too. I'm totally screwed :/ I really need help on what the hell to include?!

Thanks!
Reply 1
Just bumping the thread!
Reply 2
Original post by mellie220
Making yet another 'help me' thread on the coursework :P My teacher is really bad at helping us so I've been turning to TSR.

My question is:
How significant was the work of the reforming leaders in changing the nature of Russian government and society in the years 1856-1964?

I am totally stuck, it's in for 2 weeks and I haven't done anything. I barely have any historiography on Lenin, Nicholas II and Khrushchev too. I'm totally screwed :/ I really need help on what the hell to include?!

Thanks!

I know this isn't usually recommended, but I suggest you check out wikipedia first on each of those leaders so that you have a background knowledge that'll form lines of argument for your essay because you sound like you have no clue about this topic at all - I could be wrong :tongue:). But anyway, I've just searched Lenin on wikipedia and its come up with loads of stuff he done with the government: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenin#Forming_a_government. As for answering the question, it asks for the significance of what each of those leaders have done. Well basically you have to look at the consequences of the changes they've made to Government and soceity and decide whether those changes were important or not. Deciding whether they were important is the analysis part of the essay (the bit that your essay will be marked on the most), for this I suggest you get historian's books that mentions these leaders and the changes they've made - after all this is what you're supposed to do for part B ! I cannot stress this any more, part B requires you to use historian's argument as part of your essay. So this will literally involve quoting a line from their book(s).

Wikipedia may have a bad rep (although from personal experience I think its a pretty reliable source of info), there are references for the content which you'll find to be at the bottom of the page. The little number ( like this: [12] ) at the end of a sentence will direct you to the original source of it.

Btw, I'm in same situation, so I'm stressing about this as well :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
The modernisation of Russia, 1856-1985 (ISBN - 0435327410)
Alexander II and the modernization of Russia (ISBN - 185043512X)
Russia in the age of modernisation and revolution, 1881-1917 (ISBN - 0582489121)
Khrushchev: the man and his era (ISBN - 0743275640)

Those books may be able to help you out. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by W.H.T
I know this isn't usually recommended, but I suggest you check out wikipedia first on each of those leaders so that you have a background knowledge that'll form lines of argument for your essay because you sound like you have no clue about this topic at all - I could be wrong :tongue:). But anyway, I've just searched Lenin on wikipedia and its come up with loads of stuff he done with the government: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenin#Forming_a_government. As for answering the question, it asks for the significance of what each of those leaders have done. Well basically you have to look at the consequences of the changes they've made to Government and soceity and decide whether those changes were important or not. Deciding whether they were important is the analysis part of the essay (the bit that your essay will be marked on the most), for this I suggest you get historian's books that mentions these leaders and the changes they've made - after all this is what you're supposed to do for part B ! I cannot stress this any more, part B requires you to use historian's argument as part of your essay. So this will literally involve quoting a line from their book(s).

Wikipedia may have a bad rep (although from personal experience I think its a pretty reliable source of info), there are references for the content which you'll find to be at the bottom of the page. The little number ( like this: [12] ) at the end of a sentence will direct you to the original source of it.

Btw, I'm in same situation, so I'm stressing about this as well :tongue:

Thanks for the source tips! :smile: I generally don't use wikipedia, but tbh it is a really good source of information :P
I do know about the leaders, just the sheer content is overwhelming to fit into 2000 words, I don't know how the hell to structure it. It's like I have all the information but no clue how to say it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending