The Student Room Group

Changing course at the same uni. Any advice?

Thinking about changing my course to study at the same Uni. Just not into the course as much as I thought and don't see the reasoning in continuing on with something I'm not happy doing. Any advice anyone? :biggrin:
If the course you want to transfer to has similar content to the one you wish to leave, you may be able to transfer to the next stage of that degree. At my uni you have to send a personal statement to the department that you want to change to so you may not need to go through ucas, however this year my uni was so full no other department had any spaces to allow a transfer and this year is going to be worse with the tuition fee rises and all.

You've missed the ucas deadline already so they may already be over subscribed. Best thing to do is just speak to the department you want to move to and find out what you need to do. Best case scenario you can transfer to the next stage of that degree so you don't have to repeat a year, next best would be getting in to the course next year starting from scratch, worse case has to be if you can't get in next year and have to reapply for 2012.

Every University will differ so contact the relevant department ASAP.

Good luck. :smile:
I second the above advice, but would include the fact that many universities want you to have done the compulsory modules from the first year in the subject you wish to transfer to, but if you get good marks in your first year this is less likely to be an issue.
I swapped courses at the same university in 2006. Different faculty meant I had to apply through UCAS the same way as I did the first time around, and I had to start from year 1 again.

Definitely a good decision.
talk to your tutor and the relevant people at your uni....

if its 2 very similar ones, it may just be a simple case of transferring classes, if not, then you would need to start again
Reply 5
I've made an appointment with my Guidance Tutor for tomorrow (: Thanks for the advice!
Reply 6
I changed courses after my first year and didn't have to go through UCAS again, although I did have to redo my first year. I went to speak to the head of the department I wanted to transfer to and everything was pretty much sorted out for me.

I don't regret transferring one bit, I'm much happier on the new course (which I'm now at the end of!). :smile:
Hi, im going through a similar thing aswell to 'Chaaaarlotte'. I basically want to change my course, but stay within the same uni. I am currently a second year.....yes second year student studying Accounting but wish to change to Law (@ Uni of Herts). So my question is, is it too late for me to change/transfer my course at this point in time? if not, what steps do i have to go through?

i really need to know the answer to this, before i can actually inform the faculty heads.

thanx
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending