The Student Room Group

Edexcel A level Geography - Unit 3 Pre-release topic

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by ben05
Bruntlands work "Our common future" in 1980 i think. First described what "sustainbaility" was :smile: really good for a small introduction

ohh okk. thanks :smile:
Reply 341
At what time is your exam? Im in Barcelona and we start at 2 :biggrin:
Reply 342
1.30 pm i think for everyone
Love this thread!

I have another question about superpowers though, "Explain how a shift in global power towards Asia could have positive and negative consequences for the older core nations (e.g. USA)".

Positives - ability to appreciate other global cultures, research and development in the new BRICs could benefit all countries including older core nations (technological advances etc)
Negatives - outsourcing of jobs as TNCs move to Asia = possible unemployment in the USA, lesser role in international decision making and trade, less control over other nations, general loss of power

Does anyone else have any ideas? Particularly for positives. Thanks :smile:
Reply 344
Original post by just :)
Isn't this question aimed more towards bridging the development gap especially with the social aspect of it?

How would you go about planning this question?

Thanks in advance :smile:

The question asks about the implications so its going to be the positives and negatives.

Env Costs- Pollution, Acid Rain,eutrophication (China, Siberian Tundra), loss of fish stock (biodiversity)
Env Benefits- Biofuels- brazil use 53% Lexical cars, Russia has a biofuel plant whilst China has HEP power

Soc Costs-obesity due to globalisation, Mcdonalds, two speed world, TB, hyper urbanisation-->megacities, demand exceeding supply on water and shelter..
Soc Benefits, educational programmes, favella barrio project to reduce megacities, FDI to reduce obesity
Original post by mischka_tay
Im scared of memory blanks on the actual exam! It's like you read the question and it freaks you out.

And thats what happens when you go into the exam feeling confident.....lol
That always happens to me...then I just end up waffling all over and loosing structure :smile:

Not good :s-smilie:
Reply 346
Original post by abc-123
how would you go about answering these two?
for tourism i know you'd include things like multiplier effect, job opportunities, diversification of market etc. but how would you address the sustainable side of it?
and for the superpowers question would you just talk about them as emerging powers/what could you say about social/environmental aspects? :s-smilie:

thanks in advance x

Economically sustainable- meeting the needs of todays economy whilst providing for future economies through investment.

Pos- FDI, employment,multiplier effect, 16.2% GDP increase
Negs-Leakages (View 1, Thailand) , Season employment (Spain)

Conc: they need to it may help to join economic unions which can help give political stability and help to facilitate trade by diversifying their economy with remittances and Commodities
Reply 347
Original post by itmightbefriday
Love this thread!

I have another question about superpowers though, "Explain how a shift in global power towards Asia could have positive and negative consequences for the older core nations (e.g. USA)".

Positives - ability to appreciate other global cultures, research and development in the new BRICs could benefit all countries including older core nations (technological advances etc)
Negatives - outsourcing of jobs as TNCs move to Asia = possible unemployment in the USA, lesser role in international decision making and trade, less control over other nations, general loss of power

Does anyone else have any ideas? Particularly for positives. Thanks :smile:

Positives = Outsourcing to the USA, less money for aid. Less dependancy in IGO's. USA's growth will become more sustianable. Investment into the older core countries from the Brics. More focus on BRIC's politcal system could push for a more peaceful and democratic world.
Anyone got any last minute ideas for technology fix
Reply 349
Original post by kingoftv
Economically sustainable- meeting the needs of todays economy whilst providing for future economies through investment.

Pos- FDI, employment,multiplier effect, 16.2% GDP increase
Negs-Leakages (View 1, Thailand) , Season employment (Spain)

Conc: they need to it may help to join economic unions which can help give political stability and help to facilitate trade by diversifying their economy with remittances and Commodities

could someone PLEASEEE explain to me the different models/theories of development!!! I am so stuck, Just enough information to get you the marks in the exam!Thankksss x
Original post by lgam_x
My teacher just sent our class these attachments, they might be of help for some people :biggrin:

They are about Water & Superpowers for section A

Hope they are of some use! :smile:

:bubbles:

Hey thanks alot.....Much appreciated.

If I get an A on this exam then All credit goes to this thread!
Reply 352
how would you go about planning this question:

Assess the economic, social and environmental impacts of developing tourism in the Maghreb region (18 marks)

Original post by rothwellp04
could someone PLEASEEE explain to me the different models/theories of development!!! I am so stuck, Just enough information to get you the marks in the exam!Thankksss x

Rostow (takeoff) model: 5 stages, prior investment required for development. Some countries got into deby when their development failed to materialise.

Dependency Theory: Rich countries take from poor countries to prevent them deveoping (neo-colonialism), they provide aid. Asian tigers defied this theory.

Modernisation Theory: Development is linked to improving technologies, more of an description of the world situation than an explanation of it
Original post by just :)
how would you go about planning this question:

Assess the economic, social and environmental impacts of developing tourism in the Maghreb region (18 marks)

Economically, if it works it will bring fresh income and lead to more FDI. If it doesnt work out country could get into debt. Also point out that tourism projects are being devleoped by other countires companies so there will be leakage of profits.

Socially, people in the Maghreb might get pissed off at all the tourists, especially those on the coast. However it could introduce them to new cultures, idea of globalisation.

Environmental, lots of fragile ecosystems in the region, water scarcity and desertification problems. Building golf courses isnt exactly smart for a country with water shortages. howver there is an attempt to make the tourism as sustainable as possible.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 355
I don't know if these are of any use....
Unit 3 Structure.docx

Unit 3 Case Studies 2.docx
Heya guys....quick question...why is Mauritania in debt?
Reply 357
Does anyone know of any examples of aid the Maghreb region?
Original post by TheRockMaster
Heya guys....quick question...why is Mauritania in debt?

it borrowed money that it couldn't afford to pay back
Hey guys.....I am currently in the process of answering a question which if people would like I would post on here?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending