Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel A level Geography - Unit 3 Pre-release topic watch

• View Poll Results: What topic is the synoptic part of the paper going to be on?
    Energy security
    4.92%
    Water conflicts
    8.20%
    Biodiversity
    1.64%
    Superpowers
    4.92%
    Development
    55.74%
    The technological fix
    24.59%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben05)
    Bruntlands work "Our common future" in 1980 i think. First described what "sustainbaility" was really good for a small introduction
    ohh okk. thanks

ReputationRep:
    At what time is your exam? Im in Barcelona and we start at 2

ReputationRep:
    1.30 pm i think for everyone

ReputationRep:
    Love this thread!

I have another question about superpowers though, "Explain how a shift in global power towards Asia could have positive and negative consequences for the older core nations (e.g. USA)".

Positives - ability to appreciate other global cultures, research and development in the new BRICs could benefit all countries including older core nations (technological advances etc)
    Negatives - outsourcing of jobs as TNCs move to Asia = possible unemployment in the USA, lesser role in international decision making and trade, less control over other nations, general loss of power

Does anyone else have any ideas? Particularly for positives. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just :))
    Isn't this question aimed more towards bridging the development gap especially with the social aspect of it?

How would you go about planning this question?

Thanks in advance
    The question asks about the implications so its going to be the positives and negatives.

Env Costs- Pollution, Acid Rain,eutrophication (China, Siberian Tundra), loss of fish stock (biodiversity)
    Env Benefits- Biofuels- brazil use 53% Lexical cars, Russia has a biofuel plant whilst China has HEP power

Soc Costs-obesity due to globalisation, Mcdonalds, two speed world, TB, hyper urbanisation-->megacities, demand exceeding supply on water and shelter..
    Soc Benefits, educational programmes, favella barrio project to reduce megacities, FDI to reduce obesity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mischka_tay)
    Im scared of memory blanks on the actual exam! It's like you read the question and it freaks you out.
    And thats what happens when you go into the exam feeling confident.....lol
    That always happens to me...then I just end up waffling all over and loosing structure

Not good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc-123)
    how would you go about answering these two?
    for tourism i know you'd include things like multiplier effect, job opportunities, diversification of market etc. but how would you address the sustainable side of it?
    and for the superpowers question would you just talk about them as emerging powers/what could you say about social/environmental aspects?

thanks in advance x
    Economically sustainable- meeting the needs of todays economy whilst providing for future economies through investment.

Pos- FDI, employment,multiplier effect, 16.2% GDP increase
    Negs-Leakages (View 1, Thailand) , Season employment (Spain)

Conc: they need to it may help to join economic unions which can help give political stability and help to facilitate trade by diversifying their economy with remittances and Commodities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itmightbefriday)
    Love this thread!

I have another question about superpowers though, "Explain how a shift in global power towards Asia could have positive and negative consequences for the older core nations (e.g. USA)".

Positives - ability to appreciate other global cultures, research and development in the new BRICs could benefit all countries including older core nations (technological advances etc)
    Negatives - outsourcing of jobs as TNCs move to Asia = possible unemployment in the USA, lesser role in international decision making and trade, less control over other nations, general loss of power

Does anyone else have any ideas? Particularly for positives. Thanks
    Positives = Outsourcing to the USA, less money for aid. Less dependancy in IGO's. USA's growth will become more sustianable. Investment into the older core countries from the Brics. More focus on BRIC's politcal system could push for a more peaceful and democratic world.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any last minute ideas for technology fix

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingoftv)
    Economically sustainable- meeting the needs of todays economy whilst providing for future economies through investment.

Pos- FDI, employment,multiplier effect, 16.2% GDP increase
    Negs-Leakages (View 1, Thailand) , Season employment (Spain)

Conc: they need to it may help to join economic unions which can help give political stability and help to facilitate trade by diversifying their economy with remittances and Commodities
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    could someone PLEASEEE explain to me the different models/theories of development!!! I am so stuck, Just enough information to get you the marks in the exam!Thankksss x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lgam_x)
    My teacher just sent our class these attachments, they might be of help for some people

They are about Water & Superpowers for section A

Hope they are of some use!

:bubbles:
    Hey thanks alot.....Much appreciated.

If I get an A on this exam then All credit goes to this thread!

ReputationRep:
    how would you go about planning this question:

Assess the economic, social and environmental impacts of developing tourism in the Maghreb region (18 marks)

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rothwellp04)
    could someone PLEASEEE explain to me the different models/theories of development!!! I am so stuck, Just enough information to get you the marks in the exam!Thankksss x
    Rostow (takeoff) model: 5 stages, prior investment required for development. Some countries got into deby when their development failed to materialise.

Dependency Theory: Rich countries take from poor countries to prevent them deveoping (neo-colonialism), they provide aid. Asian tigers defied this theory.

Modernisation Theory: Development is linked to improving technologies, more of an description of the world situation than an explanation of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just :))
    how would you go about planning this question:

Assess the economic, social and environmental impacts of developing tourism in the Maghreb region (18 marks)

Thanks in advance
    Economically, if it works it will bring fresh income and lead to more FDI. If it doesnt work out country could get into debt. Also point out that tourism projects are being devleoped by other countires companies so there will be leakage of profits.

Socially, people in the Maghreb might get pissed off at all the tourists, especially those on the coast. However it could introduce them to new cultures, idea of globalisation.

Environmental, lots of fragile ecosystems in the region, water scarcity and desertification problems. Building golf courses isnt exactly smart for a country with water shortages. howver there is an attempt to make the tourism as sustainable as possible.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if these are of any use....
    Unit 3 Structure.docx

Unit 3 Case Studies 2.docx

ReputationRep:
    Heya guys....quick question...why is Mauritania in debt?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of any examples of aid the Maghreb region?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRockMaster)
    Heya guys....quick question...why is Mauritania in debt?
    it borrowed money that it couldn't afford to pay back

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.....I am currently in the process of answering a question which if people would like I would post on here?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 1, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.