The Student Room Group

UNRELIABLE EDEXCEL MARKERS - My remark went up by 10 MARKS

Scroll to see replies

I got a C in edexcel history and was kind of expecting an A, as i got As in all my mocks.
Almost everyone on edexcel history seems to have massively underperformed this year.
I was actually wondering whether to bother getting a remark but seeing as the exam boards seem to have make a lot of mistakes i think i will. =)

I mean some of the undermarking that goes on is disgusting.
And the fact that they charge so much for remarking is like they're trying to put people off having their papers remarked...
Reply 121
Original post by JumpforJoystick

Original post by JumpforJoystick
Just a few questions:

I was one mark off of an A in History AS (159 points) which I was pretty pleased with but when I look at the individual test marks there is a 31 mark gulf between the first paper and second paper. I felt I wrote consistently well throughout so I am considering a re-mark. However, the questions are, will I keep my first mark if it is marked down, will only the lower paper (Paper 2) be sent off and, before I choose to have it re-marked, is it possible to go through and discuss the paper with my teacher to see whether it was given the right grade?

Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic but I'd prefer AAA than AAB when applying.

Thanks

What ever happens to your mark, i.e. it goes up or down, the second mark will stick. You have to pay for each individual module, so yes you can only send one of them off. It's worth doing it as if there is a gap of 31 marks there is plenty of room to gain one mark to get you the prediction of an A
Reply 122
I only got a mid-B on my edexcel physics unit 2. I cant see where I lost all my marks. The only reason I can see is if the boundaries were really high. Also, my coursework was extremely low considering my teacher and tutor both said it would be close, if not full marks. Can you have the coursework remarked too?
Chemistry was also very low. I knew I hadnt done well and would have had to resit anyway so wont bother with a remark, but it was even lower than expected.
The remark system is all a money making scheme. I'm sure this year it is £52 to have a remark so if thousands do such a thing then the money will roll in. That's all it is to them and all students are to them are statistics. I think it's a disgrace making money off vulnerable students who'll do anything to try and get a few more marks which could see them get more UCAS points.
Original post by MrJenkins
I only got a mid-B on my edexcel physics unit 2. I cant see where I lost all my marks. The only reason I can see is if the boundaries were really high. Also, my coursework was extremely low considering my teacher and tutor both said it would be close, if not full marks. Can you have the coursework remarked too?

I did Physics with edexcel as well...and I have the same issue...I got a D in my unit 2, when I found the paper quite straight forward and was happy with the way I answered. :frown:
Also, my coursework was said to be definite top B grade if not an A, but my results show it to be really low and came out as a C.
so not sure what went wrong....should i have a remark?
Original post by Scribbles1
I got a C in edexcel history and was kind of expecting an A, as i got As in all my mocks.
Almost everyone on edexcel history seems to have massively underperformed this year.
I was actually wondering whether to bother getting a remark but seeing as the exam boards seem to have make a lot of mistakes i think i will. =)

I mean some of the undermarking that goes on is disgusting.
And the fact that they charge so much for remarking is like they're trying to put people off having their papers remarked...

This.
i've gone for a remark though as i know i havent done so badly to get a C! I got 4 As in my other essay subjects so how does that work...
Oh my gosh! My coursework grade for Edexcel History went down from 74/80 which was classed as an A* to 61/80 when I was chosen as part of a moderated sample. For a teacher who was told that he marked coursework too harshly last year, I doubt that his marking skills were 13 marks off- so glad he's sent our coursework back for a remark.
I was 2 marks off a C in my history with Edexcel and 7 points off a C in my general studies, out of the four papers for GS it went A,B,C then a big fat U ? Surely i can't be good at 3 and not at the other ? Anyway i've sent off for both to be priority remarked which cost me £104 and it can take up to 18days to do :| I really want to get into my first choice so much, and if ive been through all the stress of clearing for this to work out and to get a place i should of originally had i'll be so annoyed :|
Reply 128
Sent my AQA English Lit paper back for remark at AS last year and it went up 16 marks. Quite a few people on TSR had the same issue that year.. madness
Original post by Casshern1456
I think it's the individual unit grade if it goes up or down (changes) you don't pay.

thank you :biggrin:
i resubmitted some coursework for my applied business course, managed to get my grades bumped upto a C from a D and a B from a D. After moderation from the edexel board both my coursework grades are now a D and D again. Surely, there must be something wrong with this?

They ended up giving me a C on a resit paper ... thats exactly what i got last year. I had thought i'd done really well in this paper as i found the questions were quite easy. Is there anything i can do about this?
Reply 131
Anyone know how long edexcel and aqa usually take to re-mark papers?
Reply 132
In Politics unit 4 I needed 76/100 ums to get an A overall. In class I never got less than an A. I thought the exam went pretty good >>turned out I got 54/100 a D grade. It's getting remarked though so hopefully I get the 22 ums for an A overall :smile:
For Gov&Pol A2 I got 312 overall (2 off an A). It made me miss my offer :frown:. It was so strange as G&P had been my strongest subject and the one I revised the most for and I'd been getting As consistently in mocks. Got the remark back and they were both the exact same mark. The same thing happened to my friend who'd also been predicted an A* and ended up with a B. Is it kind of strange that the new examiners came up with the exact same marks with a mark-scheme as vague as G&P or am I just being silly? I think it's probably the latter :smile:
Reply 134
Hmm, been debating whether I should have my OCR A2 Economics paper remarked, don't get me wrong I found the paper was a little tricky as it was my last exam and there wasn't a great amount of time between my exams for revision. But I was confident I'd at least passed it to a D or a C which suited me fine as it would get me my firm choice but on results day I was horrified to see i'd got a U (34/100!) :frown: seriously of the 4 exams over the 2 years I got a D A B and a U (the D i didn't really revise for tbh as it was early days oops :tongue:) but that U made me miss my firm by one grade, when I saw my results I actually thought 'well that cannot be right' :| I rang up my firm but the course was oversubscribed so there was nothing at all they could do :frown:
Reply 135
Original marker should be fired nuff' said
Reply 136
Here is what I saw from sticky thread:

How can I gain access to my scripts?

You can request either the original transcript or a photocopy of your script, this can be to help you decide whether or not to apply for an EAR or to see how your marks were awarded in your papers.

If you want to see your script in order to decide whether or not to request a remark then you need to order a photocopy of your script, it's important you don't ask for the original if you may want to have a remark. Once you are sent your original script you will not be able to request EARs as there is the potential for tampering with the papers.
---------------
Does that mean I could pay for reviewing my exam paper first and then decide whether I go for a remark?????

really appreciate if someone could clear me up...
Original post by larainea

---------------
Does that mean I could pay for reviewing my exam paper first and then decide whether I go for a remark?????

really appreciate if someone could clear me up...

yes you can
Reply 138
Original post by GreenDiff
I had my AS Unit 1 Edexcel Economics remarked, and it went up by 10 marks!

Obviously I'm happy but I think it's disgusting that an examiner can get it so terribly wrong. Other people could be walking around and applying for university with results that don't actually mirror their true potential.

Anyone faced similar situations?

Few ppl in my skl had the same situation got a B in English GCSE and remarked and got an A* :L Conclusion? AQA is ****.
Got my Edexcel Politics script back and it looked completely wrong. Forwarded it to my teachers and they agreed. My marks went 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 in that order! It's incredibly bizarre.

Quick Reply

Latest