The Student Room Group

Is it worth getting a remark?

I got 97/200 on my exam this morning and got a C. The grade boundary for a B is 100/200. Is it worth getting it remarked?
Original post by malayabuena
I got 97/200 on my exam this morning and got a C. The grade boundary for a B is 100/200. Is it worth getting it remarked?

Will a change in grade affect your Uni application? Could be worth it if so
Definitely chat to your Teacher/School and get their advice on this too
Reply 2
I want to apply to Oxford for entry 2025/2026. I'm homeschooled so I don't have any teachers to ask for advice to. I'll be taking three subjects and an EPQ at sixth form, aiming for As and A*s, but I'm a little worried that the C will look very bad.
What level was the exam for? If you can it would be worth requesting the remark, but there is no guarantee this will be successful.
Reply 4
It was a law A-level. And I'd like to study law at university and be a lawyer, hence the apprehension on whether on not to keep the grade. I know that I could get a lower grade too which I'm a little nervous about too.
It was a law A-level. And I'd like to study law at university and be a lawyer, hence the apprehension on whether on not to keep the grade. I know that I could get a lower grade too which I'm a little nervous about too.

If you are looking at Law then it would probably be worth risking the retake as they will be looking for as high as possible in this.

If you can also get along to speak to them, and/or their admissions team that would help guide your decisions.

Yes, I think it's worth getting your exam remarked. You were only 3 marks away from a B, and the marking process is not always perfect. There is a chance that the marker may have made a mistake, or that your answer may have been misinterpreted.
You're closer to a B than you are to a D, so remarking makes sense.

Hope this helps :smile:

David :smile:
University of Kent Representative
Reply 7
Thank you. I think I'm going to try it!
Reply 8
What are the chances of a successful remark, edexcel economics, never got below A star for mocks but final exam I got a B 7 marks off of the A boundary the paper I thought I did worst on was my highest, 64/100, 79/100, 70/100 should I send the 2 papers in?
Reply 9
Sorry to add. I realised that I’d have to pay per paper but I didn’t receive my grade per paper. Would I need to send both papers off or is one of them fine? I can’t really afford to send off both but want to get the highest chance of being able to get the B if possible.
Original post by Asdf_idk
What are the chances of a successful remark, edexcel economics, never got below A star for mocks but final exam I got a B 7 marks off of the A boundary the paper I thought I did worst on was my highest, 64/100, 79/100, 70/100 should I send the 2 papers in?

I have exact same issue but for Edexcel politics - expecting A* but ended up being 5 marks off an A. Gutted - will defo request a remark. Issue is politics is an essay based subject so it's more subjective whereas there might be less room for interpretation in Economics? I would still contact your teacher though and see what they say.
If you remark your A levels can the mark go down too?
Apart from the conventional wisdom of asking for a remark if you are near a grade boundary, as an examiner, let me offer a few practical advice that I think could help future students:

Did you use any additional booklet? Examiners have to manually attach the booklet to a question and so sometimes it gets missed. If you used an additional booklet, then ask for a remark.

Similarly, did you answer some questions outside of the designated answer space (eg blank pages/spaces)? If you did, that may also be missed too. We're supposed to mark everything but sometimes we do miss it when we mark hundreds of scripts. We only see the designated answer space when marking and have to manually attach anything that's not in the designated answer space.

Handwriting. This isn't even if it your handwriting is good/bad, but is your handwriting legible. Oftentimes, if an examiner can't understand it, they may just skip it (this also applies if your writing is cramped, eg writing two lines when you've been given one line). If you have handwriting that's not legible, it may be worth a remark and see if a second examiner can understand everything you've written.

(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest