The Student Room Group

AQA- English Literature at AS Level, Literature B

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by paigums
i seeeeeee.
The question states 'to what extent do you agree with..'
so give both sides (by giving different interpretations) and reinforce your argument with contextual info.
thank you humeraaaaa<3

your welcome
xxx
Reply 181
Original post by humera01
----read the paragraph that iv writen and try to emulate that style(notive how there are onyl vague references to context, its mroe abotu intepritations.

ps..if any one has any suggestions on how i could improve my wiritng style evne further,plese feel free to critisise what i have writen

Original post by paigums
i seeeeeee.
The question states 'to what extent do you agree with..'
so give both sides (by giving different interpretations) and reinforce your argument with contextual info.
thank you humeraaaaa<3

Don't give both sides of an argument equal weighting as it makes your essay less focused. Instead, choose to write the majority on the stronger argument, then reference the alternative interpretation whilst saying why it is weaker.
Reply 182
Original post by Groat
Don't give both sides of an argument equal weighting as it makes your essay less focused. Instead, choose to write the majority on the stronger argument, then reference the alternative interpretation whilst saying why it is weaker.

thankyou , can you give an example of what you think a good focussed paragraph would be like plese
Reply 183
Im going to go do some practice for enduing love, section B.Iv prity much covered all the aspects of narrative for enduign love, so if anyones got any questions on any of the aspects of nartive for enduing love i will be happy to help.
Reply 184
Im going to go do some practice for enduing love, section B.Iv prity much covered all the aspects of narrative for enduign love, so if anyones got any questions on any of the aspects of nartive for enduing love i will be happy to help.

Can you upload your notes please
no problem ,
no you can write most abotu the text you knwo more about as long as you can make it fit the question,but you must make sure you cover each text.
what texts are you doing?
If youve got any same as me ill hsow you how you write a sectionb repsonce :smile:

that's so weird my teachers have failed to mention that it doesn't need to be equally weighted haha :|
hardy, Rossetti and god of small things (novel which no one seems to have heard of haha)

do you mind me asking how you're revising for section a part b? I was planning on just looking at the significant themes of gatsby and looking at past questions coz I can't think of how else to do it
Reply 186
Original post by <3 inbetweener D
that's so weird my teachers have failed to mention that it doesn't need to be equally weighted haha :|
hardy, Rossetti and god of small things (novel which no one seems to have heard of haha)

do you mind me asking how you're revising for section a part b? I was planning on just looking at the significant themes of gatsby and looking at past questions coz I can't think of how else to do it

yeh goign throuhpass papers is a excelent idea, thats what iv been doing.once youve done think of themes that havent been questioned before and plan responces to them , in your plan incllude enough detail on relevent context , and intepritataions. than select a few of your plans (the ones where the theme hasent been questioned and seems likely to come up) and plan repsonces to them. also whilst your doign the exam responces you will find that there is some information that is relevent all the time, which is good. for section a (b) you dont need to elrn critics quatoes, the exminers reports say that people who do that end up going off task, lose focus and sunsequently lose marks for a01(as it is not relevent). just make sure that evry time you make a point you also include an alternative one by using hooks such as
on the on hand .............. can be intepriated as......on a deaper level still the poets facination with..... would suggest that an intepritataion of....as a ...... would be more appropriate as it reflects the poets perspective on the subject matter
conversly, it can be argued that
equaly...may represent...
a feminist reading may sugget (feminists are basicaly just critics who are concerned with the presentataion of women in texts...so a fmeinist reaidng would be very helpful when analysing the omwne int he great gatsby and hwo they are arguably presented as victim of men.. you could argue that tom and gatsby are trying to controle daisy and that menrender females as passive beings.. you would use daisy cycnical comment about her doughter to back this up'a pretty little fool')
hope this helps
Reply 187
yeh goign throuhpass papers is a excelent idea, thats what iv been doing.once youve done think of themes that havent been questioned before and plan responces to them , in your plan incllude enough detail on relevent context , and intepritataions. than select a few of your plans (the ones where the theme hasent been questioned and seems likely to come up) and plan repsonces to them. also whilst your doign the exam responces you will find that there is some information that is relevent all the time, which is good. for section a (b) you dont need to elrn critics quatoes, the exminers reports say that people who do that end up going off task, lose focus and sunsequently lose marks for a01(as it is not relevent). just make sure that evry time you make a point you also include an alternative one by using hooks such as
on the on hand .............. can be intepriated as......on a deaper level still the poets facination with..... would suggest that an intepritataion of....as a ...... would be more appropriate as it reflects the poets perspective on the subject matter
conversly, it can be argued that
equaly...may represent...
a feminist reading may sugget (feminists are basicaly just critics who are concerned with the presentataion of women in texts...so a fmeinist reaidng would be very helpful when analysing the omwne int he great gatsby and hwo they are arguably presented as victim of men.. you could argue that tom and gatsby are trying to controle daisy and that menrender females as passive beings.. you would use daisy cycnical comment about her doughter to back this up'a pretty little fool')
hope this helps

You do know your AO1 mark can bring your whole grade down! Sort your spelling out asap! :L
Reply 188
Original post by joe__
You do know your AO1 mark can bring your whole grade down! Sort your spelling out asap! :L

i know lol. Im going to have to learn all the main words thta i need, how tedius.
My spellings have always been we weekness.
Reply 189
I spent four hours this morning annotating poems. FOUR HOURS. Now I just need to do Great Gatsby and Enduring Love another day and then I am not touching English lit with a bargepole until after Easter.
Reply 190
Original post by racaha

Original post by racaha
I spent four hours this morning annotating poems. FOUR HOURS. Now I just need to do Great Gatsby and Enduring Love another day and then I am not touching English lit with a bargepole until after Easter.

Four hours! THAT is dedication :P I've done Tennyson poems and Enduring Love ish...just Rossetti and The Great Gatsby :P
Reply 191
Original post by lampshade1
Four hours! THAT is dedication :P I've done Tennyson poems and Enduring Love ish...just Rossetti and The Great Gatsby :P

I know, I was pretty impressed with myself. :biggrin: I was only supposed to spend an hour on it but kept going. Shame I've not done any history or psychology revision yet. :tongue: I've started Gatsby, got half way through chapter 1. :smile:
Reply 192
Original post by racaha
I know, I was pretty impressed with myself. :biggrin: I was only supposed to spend an hour on it but kept going. Shame I've not done any history or psychology revision yet. :tongue: I've started Gatsby, got half way through chapter 1. :smile:

I'm with you there on psychology revision.
That's my last exam though so I got a while yet!
Reply 193
Original post by paigums
I'm with you there on psychology revision.
That's my last exam though so I got a while yet!

:yep: my first is history but I felt less confident with English so that's why I've got more of that done. I have about 984974 pieces of homework though, which I've ignored for revision! Oh well, it'll be okay! :smile:
Reply 194
Original post by racaha

well atleast u got abig shcuk of your revision out of the way. yesterday i got big poster paper and put the titles of my poems on and then just left em..lol

what exam boards are you doing for history (what period are you studying) and psycology. Im doign these subjects to so perhaps we could help each other out
Reply 195
well atleast u got abig shcuk of your revision out of the way. yesterday i got big poster paper and put the titles of my poems on and then just left em..lol

what exam boards are you doing for history (what period are you studying) and psycology. Im doign these subjects to so perhaps we could help each other out

AQA for history doing French Revolution and the Impact of New Liberalism. And psychology is AQA too, doing the unit 1 which is attachment and memory. :smile:
Reply 196
Original post by racaha
AQA for history doing French Revolution and the Impact of New Liberalism. And psychology is AQA too, doing the unit 1 which is attachment and memory. :smile:

For history im doign the impact of new liberalism to (britain 1900-18). Is this going to be your souce based exam paper?

'unit 1 which is attachment and memory'. i did this in january and got an A so if you have any questions imbox me. Last year the 12 marker was on memory so this eyar it might be sometihng like attachments or prevation and deprevation, so mkae sure you revise them realy well.
Reply 197
For history im doign the impact of new liberalism to (britain 1900-18). Is this going to be your souce based exam paper?

'unit 1 which is attachment and memory'. i did this in january and got an A so if you have any questions imbox me. Last year the 12 marker was on memory so this eyar it might be sometihng like attachments or prevation and deprevation, so mkae sure you revise them realy well.

Yep, it's the source paper, urgh sources! Ooh so we have a few the same then! We should help eachother :biggrin:
Oooh thanks for that, I will do. Are you doing unit 2 this time then? Because I did that in January so I can help you too if you need it, got an A as well :smile:
Reply 198
Original post by racaha
Yep, it's the source paper, urgh sources! Ooh so we have a few the same then! We should help eachother :biggrin:
Oooh thanks for that, I will do. Are you doing unit 2 this time then? Because I did that in January so I can help you too if you need it, got an A as well :smile:

i know the sources questions are horible.(shall we do soem pass papers together through inbox)
Yeh im doing unit 2 this time:smile:. looks like we have both found ourselves a revision guide..lol
Imbox me and well start revising together(that way we wont make the thread confusing by postign psychology notes)
Reply 199
Original post by paigums

Original post by paigums
Ive actually just found a whole load of notes which I previously did in class covering narrative techniques for Gatsby, Browning and Haddon, so perfect for Section B answer!

-If anyone wants me to type some ideas up for them let me know.

yes please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending