The Student Room Group

Am I the only one who works throughout the night at the university?

At my uni, I'm consistently in the computer rooms doing my work throughout the night. There are a lot more people during the day, and occasionally some people throughout the night, but I always feel like I'm the only person who does it consistently. I actually feel like I'm really slow if I have to stay behind later than everybody else. I also notice I'm the only girl who ever sticks around. It makes me feel uncomfortable because I know I work slow a lot of the time, but I'd expect university students to be around at night, and well, I'm alone and it sucks, haha.

Scroll to see replies

most people own a laptop or have heard of remote access
And the rest go out
I do, but in my room. My campus isn't open overnight unfortunately :frown:
Original post by AzureRay
At my uni, I'm consistently in the computer rooms doing my work throughout the night. There are a lot more people during the day, and occasionally some people throughout the night, but I always feel like I'm the only person who does it consistently. I actually feel like I'm really slow if I have to stay behind later than everybody else. I also notice I'm the only girl who ever sticks around. It makes me feel uncomfortable because I know I work slow a lot of the time, but I'd expect university students to be around at night, and well, I'm alone and it sucks, haha.

Can't you get a laptop? Being in your own room would make you more comfortable, potentially safer, and you wouldn't feel as weird.
I think most students have a laptop. I don't like working in the library if I can help it, more comfy at home. It will get busier around exam time, well it does at my uni anyway. In normal term there isn't much need to work through the night and if you do it's only going to be the odd time, I doubt many people make a habit of it!
Reply 6

YES! Me too. I only ever work at night in the computer lab when there's no-one to distract me. I work Most efficiently between 2-6am, and when i have a ton of work I alter my sleep pattern so I'm getting up around 4pm. Nice litre of coffee in a flask with me in the lab, and I'm sorted :smile:.

Which uni are you at, out of interest?
Reply 7
I find studying alone after 7 pm (when the library is relatively empty) quite relaxing. There's no hassle and its easier to concentrate. Also you're not slow because you do extra reading/revision, you might just suffer from a lack of academic confidence which makes you feel that you need that extra effort. But to be fair, its better to underestimate than overestimate your ability.
Original post by mc1000
YES! Me too. I only ever work at night in the computer lab when there's no-one to distract me. I work Most efficiently between 2-6am, and when i have a ton of work I alter my sleep pattern so I'm getting up around 4pm. Nice litre of coffee in a flask with me in the lab, and I'm sorted :smile:.

Which uni are you at, out of interest?

I thought I was a total weirdo for being like this; I'm exactly the same. I've got four deadlines coming up over the next few days, so I've been going to bed about 6am and getting up at about 2 for the past week. I just can't work as effectively during the day.
Reply 9

You trying to pick someone up?

Me too, I change my sleeping pattern when assignment season comes around. Wake up at like 8pm and work until 10am...works wonders.
Well i do most of my work in the graveyard shift normally best time is 4am as it suits me im more awake then even after a full day awake.

However as the uni is that far away from me and dont have transport (rely on busses) at the moment. I prefer to do most of my work at home on my netbook in front of the computer which I normally put a movie in so I can see it out of the corner of my eye but can focus looking at my work.
Uh... laptop. i think that's it. I see a lot of people that are in the campus library on the computers, however I notice that they are mostly upper classmen and only on the computers during downtime between classes, rarely do I ever see people doing actual work on them; mostly facebook and things like that.

Of course there are a few but from what I see, people do most of their studying in their dorms or off campus at home, then come to the campus to attend class or form study groups with others.

I don't think I could function the way that I do relying on a school computer and their utilities like printing, document composition, and research.
I do, but at home. The night is the best because it's quiet and there is **** all else to do than work.
Unfortunately I have a 9:30am exam next week so I am currently shifting my sleeping around with a pattern of 26 hour "days" so eventually I will be getting up at the right time.
26 hour days work well for me. 17 hours awake plus 9 hours sleep = awesome.
Right I'm off to bed...
My boyfriend stays up 'til about 7am doing his work, he just works better throughout the night...
I know a couple of people who say this, do an all nighter the night before, pump themselves full of red bull and claim they were more efficient in the exam compared to if they had a full night's sleep without the load of stimulants.

I have nothing against people who study in the night, it's just how can you be efficient during an exam if you're practically like Will from the inbetweeners right before he takes a ****?
Reply 16
I'm the only white guy in there at night but I like to sit in the corner alone and play Minecraft so it doesn't really bother me who's in there.
Original post by wanderlust.xx
I know a couple of people who say this, do an all nighter the night before, pump themselves full of red bull and claim they were more efficient in the exam compared to if they had a full night's sleep without the load of stimulants.

I have nothing against people who study in the night, it's just how can you be efficient during an exam if you're practically like Will from the inbetweeners right before he takes a ****?

Not everyone turns out like Will! I used to do this regularly in school/first year uni and I was fine.
Reply 18
I do have a laptop, it's just I find I work more efficiently in the university than at home, there are less distractions for me.

I slept throughout the day today (how depressing) and now I am going into the university to be alone to work on the rest of my essays. Sigh! I'll try to find people about so that I'm not so alone... It's nice to know others are working beside you.
Never really understood this - to me, the night is for sleeping and the day is for working. :dontknow: Still, obviously you're not alone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending