The Student Room Group

Student funding

Hiya guys! I've been offered a place at uni and have accepted for September! Very excited. Looking into the specifics regarding funding now. The NHS grant, £5000 year - does this go straight to the university? Or does it go to the student? Is it to pay for some of the course? , also has anyone applied for a maintenance loan? How much is the maintenance loan? I live with my mum, she works part time, but I am hoping to find a room to rent a couple nights a week closer to my university. Any advice on funding would be helpful! Thanks!
Original post by Alicew199684
Hiya guys! I've been offered a place at uni and have accepted for September! Very excited. Looking into the specifics regarding funding now. The NHS grant, £5000 year - does this go straight to the university? Or does it go to the student? Is it to pay for some of the course? , also has anyone applied for a maintenance loan? How much is the maintenance loan? I live with my mum, she works part time, but I am hoping to find a room to rent a couple nights a week closer to my university. Any advice on funding would be helpful! Thanks!

Hi @Alicew199684,

I have a friend who received teh NHS grant last year. They paid it directly to them in 3 instalments throughout the year. It doesn't go to the university. Once you have been approved for the grant, you should be able to see the dates you will be paid and how much you will get in each instalment.

You should be able to find out more about the NHS grant here: https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf

In terms of the maintainence loan, you will be able to apply from the end of March. How much you get will depend on your living situation (living with a parent or in accomadation) and your household income (your mum's income). For the year 2024/2025, and living with your parent, you can receive up to £8,610. If you were to live in accomodation, it could be up to £10,227 (these are based on living outside of London)

You can find out more information about student finance here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/new-fulltime-students?step-by-step-nav=18045f76-ac04-41b7-b147-5687d8fbb64a

You can also estimate the amount of maintenance loan you may get through the Student Finance calculator: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/new-fulltime-students?step-by-step-nav=18045f76-ac04-41b7-b147-5687d8fbb64a

I hope this helps 🙂

Susannah (ARU)
(edited 2 months ago)

Hi Alice,

Congratulations on being offered a place at university! That's an amazing first step.

Yes, the NHS grant is an amazing initiative and gets paid in 3 instalments into the students account. It is usually allocated once the university confirms attendance from the student and you'll be given set dates to expect the payments. These payments do not pay for the course as that will more than be why you should apply for a tuition loan to cover your tuition fees.

In regards to the maintenance loan, this is assessed on an individual bases and takes into account the students financial circumstances swell as their parents in certain situations. Through this they will assess the appropriate loan amount for each individual and you will also receive this in instalments like the NHS bursary. This will also be payed directly into your bank account. The only loan/bursary that doesn't come directly to you is the tuition loan which will be payed directly to the university to cover your fees.

I hope this is of some assistance,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing
Reply 3
Original post by LSBU
Hi Alice,

Congratulations on being offered a place at university! That's an amazing first step.

Yes, the NHS grant is an amazing initiative and gets paid in 3 instalments into the students account. It is usually allocated once the university confirms attendance from the student and you'll be given set dates to expect the payments. These payments do not pay for the course as that will more than be why you should apply for a tuition loan to cover your tuition fees.

In regards to the maintenance loan, this is assessed on an individual bases and takes into account the students financial circumstances swell as their parents in certain situations. Through this they will assess the appropriate loan amount for each individual and you will also receive this in instalments like the NHS bursary. This will also be payed directly into your bank account. The only loan/bursary that doesn't come directly to you is the tuition loan which will be payed directly to the university to cover your fees.

Mary

Ahh great. Thank you!!!! Am I able to get the NHS grant and the maintenance loan? Or is it only one or the other?

Thank you.
Ahh great. Thank you!!!! Am I able to get the NHS grant and the maintenance loan? Or is it only one or the other?

Thank you.

Hi Alice,

As long as you are a UK resident you will be eligible for both at the same time.

Mary

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending