The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

There's only one person who actually uses a laptop in our lectures, but nearly everyone has one to do their work on. It's really helpful to be able to take your computer to the library with you when you need to do research.
Yeah I see a lot of people with laptops in the library and around campus, but not many people use them in lectures or seminars. I've seen one or two using them. There's also a blind guy in one of my lectures who uses one. I assume he can touch-type and then uses some sort of speech program to listen to his notes.

I have a laptop but I never really take it around campus... it's just handy so that I can take it home if I'm going home for the weekend, or take it to my mate's house because I'm there quite often. No point lugging it around all day as there are perfectly good IT facilities, and they haven't managed to get wireless networking yet (though I get e-mails all the time saying "coming soon". Pfft.)
Reply 3
Virtually everyone seems to have one at Plymouth - but they don't use them in lectures...just the library etc..
I don't take mine to lectures, but I use it a lot elsewhere. In fact, I'm using it right now!!
Reply 5
I've got a laptop in my room, as have most people here. It is really useful. Only one person in my year takes their laptop to lectures, but that is because he has something wrong with him. Most people make notes on paper.
I bought a laptop instead of a desktop for uni, as I didn't have my own computer atall before. Im glad I did as it means I can take it into uni if I need it, and when i go home for a visit, I can just bung it in my bag and jump on the train/in the car etc and carry on with my work :smile:
Reply 7
My laptop saved the day today - we had a workshop but the room had a projector but no computer. I had mine in my bag so the lecturer used that lol.
Reply 8
I don't even own a desktop anymore. I'll just bring my laptop to uni, too.
My laptop is a godsend for when I go home for the weekend, I've done so many essays on the train...

I don't use it in lectures either though, it's annoying and distracting having someone tapping away on a keyboard next to you.
I was wondering this too, why wouldn't you use one in lectures? I think I might, nothing wrong with me but if the notes are types up, I can print them out and put them into a folder and they'll look far neater than scrawl and highlighter pen. I'll see how it goes I guess though!
Reply 11
I'm getting a laptop for uni, makes life so much easier, and I quite fancy working outside!
It would be easier using it in lectures, but I imagine it's really annoying, so I'll probably just type my notes up afterwards.
I have seen people doing it but it's not the norm. It's so much easier to take a pad of paper than lug a laptop to lectures!
Reply 13
supercat
I'm getting a laptop for uni, makes life so much easier, and I quite fancy working outside!

We did that once last year....had an essay to write and it was a lovely day so we went and sat outside with our laptops lol.
Reply 14
I have a laptop but I never take it into uni with me, however there is one guy who uses his to take notes in my lectures but he is the only one.
Reply 15
i'll be getting one...
i should be able to use it sprocessing power in physics, and will be handy for prgramming with BASIC on the go...
and also working on the train, etc...
Reply 16
Laptops are the best thing since sliced bread.
The only thing is that I can't understand is if you're going to type them up afterwards anyway why you don't just do it then!

They're no more stressy than a pad and pen, you actually have to remember the pen, the pad etc...!
Reply 18
so paper is fine??
Reply 19
James T
so paper is fine??

Yep.

Just a buy a huge wad. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending