The Student Room Group

Is this a good return?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TheArsenal
Hi im an AS level economics student and in our class we had to invest in shares in the FTSE 100 earlier in the year, with the person who makes the most getting a prize.

It is set to last until July, starting in Feb and currently i have made 6.2% investing in 6 companies. I have had 74 days so far and was basically wondering if this was a good attempt for someone who has never done this before and never really loooked at the markets. It was of course virtual. Thanks.

You need to adjust these returns based upon risk, and vs. a benchmark.

e.g. 6.2% would be an excellent return is the market as a whole (say the FTSE100) stayed about the same over this period. Conversely, if the FTSE100 went up by 10%, and you only produced 6.2%, then it's not so good...

Similarly, you need to look at how much of this was beta, and how much was alpha. If you're dealing with sensitive and volatile stocks (high beta), you can get great returns, similarly if things go wrong they can go very wrong: you bear extra risk.

As a side point, you mentioned you "liked" various stocks due to the company being good etc. You can't just "like" a stock, you have to "like" it at a certain price. It could be the best company in the world, but if it's overvalued you still shouldn't buy!
Reply 21
Original post by Nimiza
You need to adjust these returns based upon risk, and vs. a benchmark.

e.g. 6.2% would be an excellent return is the market as a whole (say the FTSE100) stayed about the same over this period. Conversely, if the FTSE100 went up by 10%, and you only produced 6.2%, then it's not so good...

Similarly, you need to look at how much of this was beta, and how much was alpha. If you're dealing with sensitive and volatile stocks (high beta), you can get great returns, similarly if things go wrong they can go very wrong: you bear extra risk.

As a side point, you mentioned you "liked" various stocks due to the company being good etc. You can't just "like" a stock, you have to "like" it at a certain price. It could be the best company in the world, but if it's overvalued you still shouldn't buy!

Ye thanks for the info mate, by "like" i didn't mean i thought the company was good i mean't i liked the price :smile:
Reply 22
Well a good way is to look at other companies in the industries of the companies your invested in.

If they perform better than the average in the individual industry, then yes that is good return.
Original post by TheArsenal
Sorry im an amature, what does forex mean? And is there an actual calculation to work out the risk involved? cheers

Standard Deviation.

Maybe do a bit of reading on the topic 'Portfolio Theory'
Original post by username547863
Thats a decent return. Trading forex i ussualy make between 5-20% a month return (if its a winning month of course)

Same here also make 10% on a pamm account
Reply 25
nice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending