The Student Room Group

What are typical Cambridge offers???

I was wondering what the typical cambridge offer is? I've heard its AAB and STEP grades but what kind of step grades do they expect?

I do F.Mathsso i have to do Levels 2 and 3. I saw a STEP level 2 and it was ridiculously hard. couldnt do one. Only a part of one. Not even Chinese ppl could have done that. Can't imagine what level 3 is like.

Plz some1 tell me what kind of STEP results Cambridge look 4.
Reply 1
Big_Man_Juambo
I was wondering what the typical cambridge offer is? I've heard its AAB and STEP grades but what kind of step grades do they expect?

I do F.Mathsso i have to do Levels 2 and 3. I saw a STEP level 2 and it was ridiculously hard. couldnt do one. Only a part of one. Not even Chinese ppl could have done that. Can't imagine what level 3 is like.

Plz some1 tell me what kind of STEP results Cambridge look 4.
:rolleyes:
AAB + 1, 1 STEP 1&2 is an offer I know a Trinity Mathmo got last year.
Reply 2
Most STEP offers will be at least 2,2, if not 1,2, and some colleges are asking for 1,1 now.
Reply 3
Yeah that sounds right.
Reply 4
maths is one of the subjects with the widest differences of offers between colleges (albeit varying AAA +1,1 to AAB 2,1 in step one, two and three)now so its best to check out individual college websites to see what they are asking for
Big_Man_Juambo

Yup, Cambridge has no Mathmos because all of them miss their STEP offer... :rolleyes:

You're unlikely to be asked for an S,S and you're likely to be asked for at least a 1,2.
Reply 6
minimo
:rolleyes:
AAB + 1, 1 STEP 1&2 is an offer I know a Trinity Mathmo got last year.

Do you mean me or do you know someone else who only had single maths? Anyway, 2 and 3 do not vary that much in difficulty. Actually, 3 is sometimes a bit easier than 2 because you need to know more material whereas 2 consists of very hard questions based on just the single maths syllabus.

Don't worry about the A-Level part if you have STEP to take.
Reply 7
I meant you (I think) - don't know much about STEP :redface:
Reply 8
there are three step papers, 1, 2 and 3 funnily enough. those doing single maths will be asked for grades in 1 and 2, those doing further will be asked for grades in 2 and 3. its just to do with the content. most offers seem to be around AAA + 1,1 or 1,2 although i saw the emmanuel's typical offer was AAAA + 1,1, seemed a little harsh, lol.
STEP at first glance does look very hard, mostly because the style of question is completely different from A Level. If you spend a lot of time doing past papers they look less scary. I spent almost all my revision time for A Level doing STEP past papers. Infact, I stopped going to Chemistry and Physics lessons and sat in our 6th form common room chipping away at STEP because I knew it was the main hurdle to getting into Cambridge.

Give it 6 months and a fair bit of work and while not looking easy, they'll look a fair bit less intimidating.

Then give it another year and you'll wonder how you ever found them hard :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending