The Student Room Group

Considering 4 A Levels

I'm a Year 12 student, currently taking 4 A levels, Maths, Further, Physics and Design Technology. On the brink of applying for University, I'd like to pursue Computer Science - I have wanted to for the last 5 or so years. I've taken my AS exams, and now I'm considering dropping a subject, DT, for the last year. My focus has always been Cambridge, but I'm aware that most students who apply to Cambridge for computer science tend to take 4. Will it impact my application if I drop DT?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a Year 12 student, currently taking 4 A levels, Maths, Further, Physics and Design Technology. On the brink of applying for University, I'd like to pursue Computer Science - I have wanted to for the last 5 or so years. I've taken my AS exams, and now I'm considering dropping a subject, DT, for the last year. My focus has always been Cambridge, but I'm aware that most students who apply to Cambridge for computer science tend to take 4. Will it impact my application if I drop DT?

People who take 4 A-Levels typically take a relevant subject - there are far more aspects of your application that will affect your admission, especially for an extremely competitive subject like computer science. So no, dropping DT is unlikely to affect your application - also Cambridge are known to give ridiculously high entry requirements for 4 A-Levels, so if you only do 3 your requirement will be for 1 less A-Level so if you do get an offer it could work out nicer. (A*A*A as opposed to A*A*A*A if not worse)
Reply 2

Drop DT otherwise you will literally go insane doing exam season in year 13, no reason to put more pressure on yourself for nothing. Trust me I have learnt this the hard way
Reply 3
Drop DT otherwise you will literally go insane doing exam season in year 13, no reason to put more pressure on yourself for nothing. Trust me I have learnt this the hard way

i can also vouch for what anon here has said

I have non-stop exams right now with no time to prepare between lol
Reply 4

DT at AS-Level will be fine. Also, the fact you're offering Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A-Level is the best preparation for the Year 1 Maths content.

Here is a useful website for choosing a Cambridge University College: https://www.applytocambridge.com/colleges

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending