The Student Room Group

Student Finance for Cambridge/Bristol/Southampton

Hi there. I am an offer holder for Cambridge (Pembroke College), Bristol and Southampton for Engineering and was curious about finance at these universities. I plan on taking a student loan.

I understand that Cambridge has a bursary system where students are automatically considered and given a bursary depending on their background. I was wondering what roughly would this amount be typically and is this a consistent amount per year? They also estimate that my expenses for the year excluding the course fees would be around £10,000, would you say this is accurate?

Regarding Bristol and Southampton, are there similar bursary and scholarships schemes? And are sponsorships a thing? For context I’m currently a private school student who has been on a bursary for my entire time there.

Any information about this or any additional information will be appreciated
Original post by Katara1204
Hi there. I am an offer holder for Cambridge (Pembroke College), Bristol and Southampton for Engineering and was curious about finance at these universities. I plan on taking a student loan.

I understand that Cambridge has a bursary system where students are automatically considered and given a bursary depending on their background. I was wondering what roughly would this amount be typically and is this a consistent amount per year? They also estimate that my expenses for the year excluding the course fees would be around £10,000, would you say this is accurate?

Regarding Bristol and Southampton, are there similar bursary and scholarships schemes? And are sponsorships a thing? For context I’m currently a private school student who has been on a bursary for my entire time there.

To be eligible for the bursary at any of the unis you mention, you will need to apply for student finance and have your household income assessed. Each uni sets its own criteria in terms of what it pays and household income thresholds. Details are on the uni websites:

https://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/cambridge-bursary

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/students/support/finances/scholarships/uob-bursary/

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/funding/undergraduate/bursaries.page

You also need to search uni websites for details of any scholarships that may be available.

Student finance applications open on Monday for Student Finance England and Student Finance Wales. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Katara1204

One of my friends is currently at Cambridge, so by my knowledge, £10000 is probably about right, maybe a little high, but would be in roughly the right area.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending