The Student Room Group

HELP! I need revision materials for WJEC Geology A2

Help! My teacher is terrible and hasnt given us much to go on, and since there is no real text book for this course, i need something to revise from. Does anyone have any revision materials for GL4 and GL5 of WJEC Geology? My exams are in a few weeks. Please come to my aid in this desperate time of need. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FredFTW
Help! My teacher is terrible and hasnt given us much to go on, and since there is no real text book for this course, i need something to revise from. Does anyone have any revision materials for GL4 and GL5 of WJEC Geology? My exams are in a few weeks. Please come to my aid in this desperate time of need. :frown:

Hey!

Finally I found someone doing this course on TSR.
I dont have any electronic notes but do you have the OCR Geology book? and the Geoscience one aswell. Both are really good books.

I will see what I can do :smile:
Reply 2
wow, i was beginning to think I was the only person doing the course! I've been given the ocr book but it doesnt seem very relevant to the syllabus, it has the general ideas but not the detail im supposed to know :frown:
Reply 3
shameless bump, due to the deadline creeping slowly closer and my stree levels creepy slowly higher
Original post by FredFTW
shameless bump, due to the deadline creeping slowly closer and my stree levels creepy slowly higher

Sorry vut all my notes are notes.....no way I can get them up eectronically :frown:
Reply 5
Thats ok, thanks for the help mate, im sure theres more that 2 people doing WJEC Geology right?
Reply 6
Nope, I'm also doing A-level geology.
Exam on Wednesday, ahh.
As there are no study guides, I just looked at the spec and researched.
Geopix is pretty good, they have some WJEC stuff.
What are you guys stuck on?
Original post by Goi
Nope, I'm also doing A-level geology.
Exam on Wednesday, ahh.
As there are no study guides, I just looked at the spec and researched.
Geopix is pretty good, they have some WJEC stuff.
What are you guys stuck on?

I think its the other dude who need help. For me everything is ok, just a little cut for time in GL5 essays. What topics you doing?

Would it hurt them to give 15 more minutes? by looking at the mark schemes for the essays they sure do seem to want a fair amount of info in like 30mins...Oh well just hope I can make it. The I have a whole lifetime of geology- Yup Earth Science at uni lol
Reply 8
Original post by TheRockMaster
I think its the other dude who need help. For me everything is ok, just a little cut for time in GL5 essays. What topics you doing?

Would it hurt them to give 15 more minutes? by looking at the mark schemes for the essays they sure do seem to want a fair amount of info in like 30mins...Oh well just hope I can make it. The I have a whole lifetime of geology- Yup Earth Science at uni lol

Yeh, me too.
I know, the length of time is pretty short. I hope I won't have to bullet point.
Quarternary and Geology of the Lithosphere.
How about you?
Original post by Goi
Yeh, me too.
I know, the length of time is pretty short. I hope I won't have to bullet point.
Quarternary and Geology of the Lithosphere.
How about you?

Geology of the Lithosphere (which I love!) and Geology of Natural Resources (which is too long winded, but interesting never the less).

So what Uni have you applied to for ES then?
Good luck Guys for tomorrows exam...do let me know how it went for you!
Reply 11
Yeah i think overall it was quite a good paper.

The only thing was that horrible geological map drawing, i just got completely confused and i think i did it really badly, but just couldn't think of anyway of improving it!
Anyway i hope i made up for it in the other sections.

Yes map was alright, bit of a different last question as usually it is alway on mining/resevoirs/pollution from them.

A mark scheme would be appreciated to try and put my self at ease!
Are you a student or teacher then?
Reply 12
Original post by FredFTW

Did you get everything in the end; was GL4 OK for you?
Reply 13
Geology of the Lithosphere (which I love!) and Geology of Natural Resources (which is too long winded, but interesting never the less).

So what Uni have you applied to for ES then?

How did you find GL4?
I'm not sure yet, see how I do in the exams first.
How about you?
Geology of the Lithosphere is good, what would you say was really important? I do not really get orogeny.
Original post by Crowaled
Lmfao do I come accross as a teacher? :L Im a student. :smile:

Yeah that was unusual with no reservoir, landfill site or a mine etc for a last bit of the map.

Urm If I have time I will make a mark scheme but I have to work hard for GL5 now :s

Some answers I put down in the exams were:

1. (+M) was at either side of sill, Not sure where I put O now, where did you put it?

2. Trilobite, low energy environment that encouraged deposition that changed to a higher energy environment, or got buried a party destroyed by diagenesis. Can't remember the question and if I was right lol.

3. Yeah the map was difficult, I got reverse fault which im sure is Correct, cant remember the critically evaluate part.

4. ~100,000 years for eccentricity of orbit, ~41,000 years was change in tilt from 21.5 - 24.5, ~23,000 years for procession.

All I can remember at the moment, If anyone thinks I have something incorrect please tell me I would like to know too :biggrin:

Hey,

Wow your sure remember your stuff!

I think it was average....never know for geology untill I get the grade :frown: Hoping for 80% but I feel so much lower is expected :frown:(( But its over so I think forgetting it and moving on to GL5 would be the wisest thing to do!

For the Oxygen Isotopes one I completely messed up! I dont know why but I got confused with the topic...I did revise it but I think I just did not get it as much!

And the geological map when we had to draw!!!!! Horrible! What did yours come out looking like then??

I left the whole right hand side of the fault D blank! Crazy crazy crazy :s-smilie:

And what about the folds what did you think they were?
I got Anticline and Syncline and plunge directions for both were NW for the syncline and Nw for anticline....Dont tell me that I get them wrong...I'll end up hating myself!
Original post by Goi
How did you find GL4?
I'm not sure yet, see how I do in the exams first.
How about you?
Geology of the Lithosphere is good, what would you say was really important? I do not really get orogeny.

Average.....The geological map part where we draw stuff on then we got thrown off.
Reply 16
Average.....The geological map part where we draw stuff on then we got thrown off.

Hey, you know your doing Geology of the Lithosphere?
What kinds of cleavage in folds do we have to know? If you could help me, that would be great :smile: ; I only seem to have old terms.
I'm sure GL4 will be A-OK for all of you, good luck for GL5!
Reply 17
I didn't think it was too bad, I went back to question 3 after attempting it and confusing myself and think I figured it out. For the confused person I think on the right of fault d the down thrown side of the anticline has a wider outcrop in the middle as it has not been eroded down like the left side. That's why the showed where there were outcrops of shale and sandstone :smile:. Definitely not looking forward to writing two 25 mark essays on friday :/
Original post by mickiesal
I didn't think it was too bad, I went back to question 3 after attempting it and confusing myself and think I figured it out. For the confused person I think on the right of fault d the down thrown side of the anticline has a wider outcrop in the middle as it has not been eroded down like the left side. That's why the showed where there were outcrops of shale and sandstone :smile:. Definitely not looking forward to writing two 25 mark essays on friday :/

Hey...I am the confused person!

Bad dream....If you ask me anything about geology I know it all....go into a WJEC exam...damn I forgot. I think I also messed up on the O16 and O18 isotopes thing..forgot to revise so have only myself to blame. Cross fingers for at least 70%, not what I expected or needed but hey:wink:

What topics are you doing for GL5?
Original post by Goi
Hey, you know your doing Geology of the Lithosphere?
What kinds of cleavage in folds do we have to know? If you could help me, that would be great :smile: ; I only seem to have old terms.
I'm sure GL4 will be A-OK for all of you, good luck for GL5!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Axial plane/ planar cleavage
Slaty cleavage
and shear faulting which is due to the slaty cleavage

If you need a definition of those terms then Ill help:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending