The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Sociology Unit 4 20th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bubbles0ox
lack ecological vality
hawthorn effect
not sure if they're right

I also used the Hawthorne effect. Also wrote that the media may amplify the problem to attract viewers and therefore create a moral panic
Original post by jacko53bfc
I also used the Hawthorne effect. Also wrote that the media may amplify the problem to attract viewers and therefore create a moral panic

ah good no one ive talked to so far wrote hawthorne effect so thats promising :smile:
Reply 1382
Original post by philosophizingnerd
what did you guys put for the experiments question?

I put about it being a broad subject and that it's deceitful if using juveniles they can get violent/angry lol wtf
can i just clarify?
dobash and dobash they used unstructured questionnaires to study domestic violent right?
OK paper UNTIL the value free question.
Totally blanked out on Marxism too. Experiments question tripped me. Just had a bad day.

ah good no one ive talked to so far wrote hawthorne effect so thats promising :smile:

I did too!
Original post by lemzii
apparently a lot of people in my college didn't even do the 33 marker :|
I thought it was quite cool once I remembered what value freedom was and about positivism and interpretivism :')
what did everyone write for the first one? I did left/right realism but I dont know if that was right

Yeah I put left and right realism plus I discussed Herishi(social bonds) and also social policies plus the effectiveness of government in stuff like Asbos
Reply 1386
Original post by jacko53bfc
Value freedom did anyone just use arguement between Kuhn/Popper and Positivist/interepretist?

Values is basically WEBER
Reply 1387
What a crap paperr deffo not getting into uni i didnt even have time to revise value free and how did everyone thought they done as everyone thought social policy would come up?
Okay totally mixed up Popper with Kuhn. Forgot about Weber. Yay :biggrin:
Original post by GiddensFTW

I did too!

goood :biggrin:

Yeah I put left and right realism plus I discussed Herishi(social bonds) and also social policies plus the effectiveness of government in stuff like Asbos

ah i mentioned left realism then freaked out and put marxism in or something wierd :/ really messed that up
Reply 1390
can i just clarify?
dobash and dobash they used unstructured questionnaires to study domestic violent right?

As far as I'm aware, yeah - I'll never forget them with a name like that studying domestic violence! :biggrin:
Original post by paulmch
As far as I'm aware, yeah - I'll never forget them with a name like that studying domestic violence! :biggrin:

YAY!
haha yeah its good!
in that case i really liked that question
Value freedom, OMG.
Was not expecting that oooone.
I put stuff about value freedom (positivists) and then committed sociology, but then i was absolutely stuck and so tried to link in sociology as a science? And from that like Weber and interpretivists, etccc.

Don't think it was a bad exam, on the whole.
what a bitch of a paper LOL
actually no just the 33mark was the bitch
Ahhh 33 marker threw me a bit!

Is this right?

Positivism
Comte, Durkheim
Popper

Feyerbend and Kaplan

Interpretivists
Interactionists
Feminist methodology

Postmodernists
Structuralists!

Wrote 13 pages overall, now cannt feel my hand!

Hope everyone found it ok xx
Original post by TAyres
who found that 33marker tricky? it was on something my school hadnt even covered!

Yeah we hadn't covered it in class, I'd rapidly read some notes before the exam so I vaguely remembered what it was about :/ I wrote just over a side : ( EPIC FAIL.

Original post by MonkeyMonger
I have a feeling that the grade boundaries will move towards normal ones now as it didn't seem too hard.

Yeah, I agree the questions were sort of like a god send to me (minus the last one!) But I hope I still get my C!

what did you guys put for the experiments question?

I put something about not able to do a longitudinal study so cannot see changes over time as it's just one snapshot of a moment blablabla... :s-smilie:
And then I said how people are unlikely to act themselves especially in a lab experiment so it doesn't reflect real differences and relate to the real world...blablabla....

Original post by lemzii
apparently a lot of people in my college didn't even do the 33 marker :|
I thought it was quite cool once I remembered what value freedom was and about positivism and interpretivism :')
what did everyone write for the first one? I did left/right realism but I dont know if that was right

For the first one, do you mean crime prevention strategies? Well once I realised that I would most def fail the last question I gave every other question all I could haha and wrote two and a half sides on situational and environmental crime prevention strategies, wanted to include social and community but ran out of time!
Someone help!? was this remotely right? will i get any marks?
Value freedom
Can be value free
Comte - positivist view point e.g. left realists and their results on cultural deprivation
Postivist view - just random general stuff
Durkheim - suicide - although not completely value free as it was a personal subject
Popper - wrote something wierd cant even remember

no value freedom
kuhn - paradigms - undermines science
erm..
Researchers have values on what they choose to study eg. feminists chose to study domestic violence
Researchers interpret things differently e.g crime stats - mentioned how marxism and left relaism has different opinions

Can't remember what i wrote but that is most of it
then i evalutaed through out with post modernism and real life examples
is that going down the right route?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by allaboutdrama
Ahhh 33 marker threw me a bit!

Is this right?

Positivism
Comte, Durkheim
Popper

Feyerbend and Kaplan

Interpretivists
Interactionists
Feminist methodology

Postmodernists
Structuralists!

Wrote 13 pages overall, now cannt feel my hand!

Hope everyone found it ok xx

when you mean struturalists; do you mean functionalists and marxists?
Reply 1399
Well, that went better than I expected. Was kinda hoping for an A in the paper, as a back up if I didnt get an A in my R.S

It went well, but maybe not A material -- but then again, grade boundries are actually lower for sociology than you would think.

Last question threw me a little o.O

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending