The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Sociology Unit 4 20th June

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by ashleighwhitehouse
ah well good luck!! i'm sure you'll be happy with it :smile:

i got 76, 113 and 64 ums so far, need a D/C for an A so PRAYING i got enough!!

Wow...good grades! Yeahh I'm pretty sure you defo got an A :smile:
Original post by jayjay3rd
All structuralists claim that sociology can be value free, therefore marxists do too :tongue:

I know they claim it can be, but I put that they dont want it to be because they think sociology should be radical and look from the viewpoint of the underdog focussing on the powerfull. But even that I dont know if it is right... just hope to do well on the others I guess.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ashleighwhitehouse
ah well good luck!! i'm sure you'll be happy with it :smile:

i got 76, 113 and 64 ums so far, need a D/C for an A so PRAYING i got enough!!

pretty much the same as me ! I blew the last question though so dont know if il get it.
Reply 1583
For the 33 marker, credit will go to people wo actually answered the question can sociology be value free, instead of the people who flipped the queation to is sociology a science. That wasnt the question.
Reply 1584
Thankx

Anyone that says sociology and psychology are soft mickey mouse subjects....can shutup because the don't have a clue
(edited 12 years ago)
I pray Ive done enough for an A. Mucked up the 33 marker
Original post by Lightman123
Majority of people couldnt even attempt the question so 1 and a half pages is respectable. I had no idea what to write myself so I just guessed what I was meant to do and managed to pull out 4 pages worth.

I just acknowledged that different sociologists have different opinions on whether or not sociology can be value free. Then I gave a detailed critique on positivist methodology and how there methods can and cannot lead to value free sociological research. Then I gave another smaller critique on interpretivist methods and how there research can and cannot be value free. I mentioned very breifly the idea of Weber and also a study by Oakley . I then did one paragraph talking about how functionalists argue for a value free sociology whilst Marxists and others argue sociology should not be value free.

Didn't know any of the chapter in the text book specifically. Don't know if I will gain any marks for what iv done but..eh..

You sound like you have it right pretty much, yeah your right about not many people answering it loads of people at my college struggled with it too, I thought apart from that question the exam was alright, grade boundaries will probably be low though now.
Original post by Daniel123
I pray Ive done enough for an A. Mucked up the 33 marker

I am sure you do :wink: Everyone mucked up that question hehe, I am just hoping for a B now...
that 33 marker was so bad :/ the rest of the paper was brilliant though :/
For the 33 marker I basically talked about positivists - durkheim and suicide and how science can be scientific and why it is seen as value free and should be studied objectively with no opinion into the research. I also talked about interactionism and why it shouldn't be value free and then weber and social action theories and how we need some level of interaction in order to understand peoples actions
I also talked about kuhn and the scientific paradigm and why sociology should be objective and in some ways scientific by having a shared consensus of what sociology is about much like the natural sciences and there are too many conflicting viewpoints in sociology and this means that it would be very difficult for sociolgy to be value free because of the interpretations of the different viewpoints. I also talked about ethnomethodology and how social reality is a construct meaning that some level of interpretation is needed in order to understand society to sociology should be valued using micro-scale study and therefore cannot be value free.
I really didn't understand this question is any of this right??? Just hope I get some marks for it. I really need an A for university. Don't think that will be happening now.
Reply 1589
Original post by xxkatexx
For the 33 marker, credit will go to people wo actually answered the question can sociology be value free, instead of the people who flipped the queation to is sociology a science. That wasnt the question.

i misinterpreted the question :frown: but they do actually link a lot, so i'm just hoping i'll at least get some marks.
Original post by bexstar6789
that 33 marker was so bad :/ the rest of the paper was brilliant though :/
For the 33 marker I basically talked about positivists - durkheim and suicide and how science can be scientific and why it is seen as value free and should be studied objectively with no opinion into the research. I also talked about interactionism and why it shouldn't be value free and then weber and social action theories and how we need some level of interaction in order to understand peoples actions
I also talked about kuhn and the scientific paradigm and why sociology should be objective and in some ways scientific by having a shared consensus of what sociology is about much like the natural sciences and there are too many conflicting viewpoints in sociology and this means that it would be very difficult for sociolgy to be value free because of the interpretations of the different viewpoints. I also talked about ethnomethodology and how social reality is a construct meaning that some level of interpretation is needed in order to understand society to sociology should be valued using micro-scale study and therefore cannot be value free.
I really didn't understand this question is any of this right??? Just hope I get some marks for it. I really need an A for university. Don't think that will be happening now.

that sounds good. Much better than I put anyway
33 marker wasnt bad...just basically a debate between positivism and interpretivism. Durkheim and positvists believ sociology can be objective and free from values. They try to use scientific methods to get quantitative and objective data. Weber also believed sociology could be value free even though he's an interpretivist. He said that once a topic is conceptualised then it can be possible to be value free.
On the opposite side of the debate, sociology cannot avoid values (value relevance) as values interfere with every stage of research process from choosing a topic to analysing findings. Becker (interpretivist) said it cannot be value free, but research should aim for validity through interpreting social action and we cannot avoid taking sides because we should see from the viewpoint of the actor (versthen).
The political alignment of theories such as feminism also means it cant be value free as their research is bias to meet their political agenda (the end patriarchy).
Social constructionism argues there is no objective knowledge because everything is bound up by discourse (a way of seeing the world)
Gouldner argues sociology has domain assumptions (but like a paradigm and what social constructionists say)
Gomm also criticises value freedom and Giddens argues sociology cannot be neutral because sociology influences the behaviour it tries to explain.
In conclusion, sociologists should recognise how their values influence their work, but should net let their values and sympathies for others render their research invalid

BOOM
Original post by allaboutdrama
SO glad someone else included Goffman's dramaturgical analogy!

lol yaay us!!
Original post by TallulahStaple
I think you and I wrote almost exactly the same...
I'm hoping that's a good thing!!!!

I also finish on Thursday - economics. Can't wait...

Good luck!

goodluck..i hope we get "A's" ps: was using my phone last night so i'm not sure if i already replied you..anyways we'll be fine :smile:
Original post by Nana_A
Thankx

Anyone that says sociology and psychology are soft mickey mouse subjects....can shutup because the don't have a clue

sociology is by far the easiest subject!
Whoever said if you linked it to if sociology is a science you wont get marks because that wasn't the question, cheeeers. I'm now ****ting myself.
i thought the question on mass media|experiments|juvenile delinquency was well dodgy! i mean, c'mon. what the hell?
Original post by TheSmithsIndeed
I can join this party then, need roughly the same ums as you two. I genuinely don't think I'll get them though, I'm so angry with myself!

Me too im so pissed off. I might retake the exam next year without retaking the year if thats possible :frown:
Original post by bravoechoxray
i thought the question on mass media|experiments|juvenile delinquency was well dodgy! i mean, c'mon. what the hell?

Nooo that wasn't that bad I quite liked that question :tongue: I just went on about moral panics etc.
Original post by allaboutdrama
Whoever said if you linked it to if sociology is a science you wont get marks because that wasn't the question, cheeeers. I'm now ****ting myself.

You will get marks, value-free sociology & sociology as a science crosses over so much.
As long as it was linked back to the question i.e. science is objective & positivists favour it's research then you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending