The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 1 June 2011 Discussion.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mobius323
Thought it was a very easy paper. The MCQ's were pretty straightforward - the only tricky one was the atomisation enthalpy of Sulphur.

Question 18 was a bit tricky, but they made up for it with that question on Metallic Bonding - those were free marks.

I got C for that mcq, what did you get?
I said that you cant be sure when the reaction has fully completed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jukeboxing
I said that you can be sure when the reaction has fully completed.

suppp jukeboxing, everyone on question 18 reckons that we did it right :smile: remember we're going from crystals to an aqueous copper sulphate solution. so we have to break down the crystals by heating it xD, on the first page of the enthalpy question 18 it said that delta 1, which was the reaction we had to carry out, ( that it is endothermic ) so we put heat in to turn it into a solution, not turn it into another crystal as i think you mentioned yesterday lol !
Original post by James A
suppp jukeboxing, everyone on question 18 reckons that we did it right :smile: remember we're going from crystals to an aqueous copper sulphate solution. so we have to break down the crystals by heating it xD, on the first page of the enthalpy question 18 it said that delta 1, which was the reaction we had to carry out, ( that it is endothermic ) so we put heat in to turn it into a solution, not turn it into another crystal as i think you mentioned yesterday lol !

cool James, I know it was wrong I just needed to write something lol.
Reply 24
Original post by James A
i said use a beaker, lol stupid me, the beaker is a poor insulator LOL

james<3
I said beaker too... + insulation :awesome:
so were we not 100% incorrect with calorimetry then yayyyy?

people - why ionisation energy increases across a period generally?
- increased nuclear charge - extra electron only being added to the same outer shell, therefore no extra shielding/distance from the nucleus - decreasing atomic radius
?
Reply 25
I chose 750cm cubed for the multiple choice question on volume. Because its at constant pressure and temp., there are 4 moles on the left side which produce 1000cm cubed so the 3 moles on he right side would produce 750cm cubed.
Reply 26
Original post by Alakamind
I chose 750cm cubed for the multiple choice question on volume. Because its at constant pressure and temp., there are 4 moles on the left side which produce 1000cm cubed so the 3 moles on he right side would produce 750cm cubed.

wasn't it at 1atm but 650degrees... hence not at standard conditions? :K:
Reply 27
Original post by Mally-xo
wasn't it at 1atm but 650degrees... hence not at standard conditions? :K:

yeah but it was constant for both sides of the formula so any effect applied to the right hand would be applied to the left hand, I am not sure though lol. And you got the ionization energy question right )
Reply 28
i put 750cm3
and also put 278 for the bond enthlpy of S
Reply 29
i thought it was ok
multiple choice was slightly tricky but the rest of the people was just simple stuff like free radical substitution etcc.
Reply 30
yeah but it was constant for both sides of the formula so any effect applied to the right hand would be applied to the left hand, I am not sure though lol. And you got the ionization energy question right )

ahh I see, damn :tongue: yay! will try to remember some more questions to post here for when I get back from college!
Reply 31
Original post by Mally-xo
ahh I see, damn :tongue: yay! will try to remember some more questions to post here for when I get back from college!

:smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Machimbawe
i put 750cm3
and also put 278 for the bond enthlpy of S

nice, that's what I got too.
nice, that's what I got too.

Damn, put this originally but it seemed to easy so i changed it to D.
were we supposed to draw normal arrows or half arrows for the initiation reaction on the free rad question??
Original post by Fezzes_Are_Cool
were we supposed to draw normal arrows or half arrows for the initiation reaction on the free rad question??

I drew half arrows :P
Reply 36

half
Reply 37

Half because you transfer 1 electron each.
Reply 38
Was okay. Multiple choice was okay, apart from that atomization question, literally had no clue.

Section B was okay, couldn't really think of three reasons as to why the value was different.
Reply 39
hi guys for the crystal question i describe how it is formed will they at leat give me some marks i said filter leave crystals to dry , leave them to cool? will i get at least 1 mark or 2?? for the three eeasons I PUT LOSS OF HEAT TO SURROUNDINGS , EVAPORATION OF WATER AND I SAID EVAPORATION OF CRYSTALS ??? AND WHERE IT SAID WHY YOU CANNOT MEASURE IT DIRECTLY I SAID BECAUSE WE CANNOT USE A CALORIMETER?? ARE THESE CORRECT AND FOR THE ENTHALPY CALCULATION I GOT A NEGATIVE NUMBER BECAUSE I TAKE AWAYED THEM?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending