The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 1 June 2011 Discussion.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
for the question about the hydrogen i used the data to answer the question but will i get some marks??
Reply 61
Original post by 5 star
for the question about the hydrogen i used the data to answer the question but will i get some marks??

Erm, I don't see why they should not give you the marks if you mentioned the data. You also needed to imply that due to this high energy, no H radiclas would form, and therefoe hno hydrogen would be present.

One other thing, 5 star, in what page is the enthalpy of -77 that you said?
Reply 62
I mean the page in the revision guide.
Reply 63
Original post by Unguilla
I mean the page in the revision guide.

Page 22
Reply 64
It wasn't a bad paper but I managed to make some silly mistakes. Oh well, unit 2 next!:afraid:
Reply 65
Could somebody explain how it could be exothermic, it doesn't make sense?
Reply 66
Original post by LuckyDuck
Page 22

XD, you're right!!! Din't see that coming ^^. I was worried that everyone around me just kept saying it was positive when I put it down as negative XD
Reply 67
Actually, oHellno, it doesn't make sense that it is negative, but the example in the revison guide is exactly the same as the one in the exam =S I'll try and copy it here for you.
Reply 68

Actually, oHellno, it doesn't make sense that it is negative, but the example in the revison guide is exactly the same as the one in the exam =S I'll try and copy it here for you.

No, and taking into account that the next question was aimed at an endothermic experiment, it makes no sense at all. :dontknow:
Reply 69
Original post by oHellno
Could somebody explain how it could be exothermic, it doesn't make sense?

oHellno, actually, it is positive, not negative. You were right, the example in the book is exactly the opposite to the one in the exam =S, so it is positive enthalpy, not negative, don't worry. ( I wish it were the other way round, I think I put it as negative :frown: ).
Reply 70
Do you know what's worst? That I think that I put the arows heading the wrong way, dammit =(
Reply 71
BUT unguilla IN THE BOOK IT SAID NEGATIVE DO YOU THINK THAT I AM CORRECT???? FOR THE FILLING IN THE BOXES I DREW TWO ARROWS COMING DOWN ONE FROM THE LEFT SIDE AND THE OTHER ON THE RIGHT SIDE? I FILLED IN SAYING CU(S)+5H2(G)+2O2(G)
Reply 72
By the way, the Q on the skeletal formulae, when naming compound B (a cross), I put down Tetramethyl methane XD. It would really be 2,2-dimethylpropane or just dimethylpropane. HOWEVER, I did look up Tetramethyl methane, and it is actually another way of naming it. Do you think it could be valid?
Reply 73
Original post by 5 star
BUT unguilla IN THE BOOK IT SAID NEGATIVE DO YOU THINK THAT I AM CORRECT???? FOR THE FILLING IN THE BOXES I DREW TWO ARROWS COMING DOWN ONE FROM THE LEFT SIDE AND THE OTHER ON THE RIGHT SIDE? I FILLED IN SAYING CU(S)+5H2(G)+2O2(G)

You put the wrong thing in at the bottom, it was enthalpy of reaction, I'm pretty sure you were supposed to put the product in.

By the way, the Q on the skeletal formulae, when naming compound B (a cross), I put down Tetramethyl methane XD. It would really be 2,2-dimethylpropane or just dimethylpropane. HOWEVER, I did look up Tetramethyl methane, and it is actually another way of naming it. Do you think it could be valid?

Ha, now that you mention it, I can see why you would say that. I guess it's not exactly wrong. Maybe.
Reply 74
Now Iam worried because I see the exam as hard and almost everyone from my center said the same, but people here on TSR says its easy?!
Reply 75
Original post by 5 star

"IN THE BOOK IT SAID NEGATIVE". The arrows are correct, however, in the exam the reaction was the reverse to what it is in the book. The box should be only "CuSO4(aq)". While the book's reaction is "CuSO4(s) + 5H20 --> CuSO4.5H20(s)" the exam's was "CuSO4.5H20(s)---->CuSO4(s) + 5H20".
Reply 76
I lost marks on that page full of energetics questions. Hopefully I'll get a few marks there. The q's on ionisation energy, free radical substitution and metallic bonding were good. The calculations were straight forward too. MCQ wasn't that bad either. The energetics questions managed to confuse me! :frown: Hoping for a decent grade this time.
I liked the paper overall
MCQ was OK but unit 1- MCQ is never easy for me
I got +77 but everyone else in my class got -77 :frown: and I think they're right as I saw the book
I think I messed up on the Q about making the salt as it was hydrated :frown: but at least the paper was better than Jan :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 78
Yeah, I also hope I get a decent grade (A is decent for me, can't afford to get any lower =S)
Reply 79
Original post by The Polar Dude
I liked the paper overall
MCQ was OK but unit - MCQ is never easy for me
I got +77 but everyone else in my class got -77 :frown: and u think they're as I saw the book
I think I messed up on the Q about making the salt as it was hydrated :frown: but at least the paper was better than Jan :smile:

Don't worry, If you look at the AS edexcel chemistry revision guide, P.22, there is a reaction opposite to the one in the exam, saying -77, so, in THEORY, the answer should be +77.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending