The Student Room Group

Edexcel Chemistry unit 2 May 2011 (Exam discussion)

Poll

Grade boundaries for this paper!!

This paper seemed tricky to lots of students . Section B was the hardest. Grade boundaries seems to be something around 50-55/80 for an A !

I am just pasting all the discussed answers in this thread with few edits. Thanks to Sailingslipelick. Please feel free to point out any mistakes. If you do remember any more questions quote me . I will add those questions with the answers.

1.Reaction of solid Mg with steam. Mg (s) + H20 (g) - MgO + H2
2. Sulfate/Hydroxide solubility. Sulfate decreases down group 2, hydroxide increases
3. Thermal stability of nitrate/carbonate Both increase
4.ionisation energy/electronegativity. I.e. decreases down and electronegativity decreases down
5. Bond angle of BCl3- 120
6.Bond angle of something else
7. Which molecule is linear? CO2
8.Which molecule is non polar? Ccl4
9. Which molecule is not a greenhouse gas? The one which was something 2. maybe N2
10. Mass spectrum. I think answer was 3 (c). b/c 79-79 81-81 and 79-81
11. Margarine Hydrogenation. Addition and reduction.
12. Which has an atom economy of 56% - B
13. Which produces a gas which has immediate effect on the environment? Confusion between Hcl and co2.
14. Reacting CH3Br with ammonia (in ethanol). What product would not form? B seems to be the answer. Ethylamine they all say but i put Nh4I :s
15. Percentage error. 0.4%
16. Cream ppte. AgBr
17.) How would you differentiate between two organic compounds in Mass spectra . I think it was D (ch3 ch2 ch2 - 43 )
18 and 19.)partial oxidization of a primary and secondary alcohol - they were ketone & aldehyde.
20.)There was a question about how many electrons were in a covalent bond of a compound . Cant exactly remember what..i think i put either 2 or 4 ?

Section B

Colour of chlorine in water- Colourless/pale greenish yellow (1)
Reacting chlorine with potassium iodide solution. Colour in solution. Brown/yellow(1)
Ionic equation of chlorine vs. iodide ions and state symbols
Cl2 + 2I- -> I2 + 2CL-(2)
Indicator used and colours. starch solution. Blue black-colourless(2)
Ionic equation of iodine and thiosulfate ions. I2 + 2S203 2- -> 2I- + S406 2-(2)
Moles- a few marks-cant remember the nitty gritty. But i think end result was (concentration)4.525x10^-3(4?)- Average titre - 9.05.
What is observed when reacting Cl2 with H2so4? Steamy fumes(1)
Why? Well it's HCl...(1)
What reactant do you use to turn an alcohol into a chloronoalkane? PCl5 (1)
Reaction with Na. Suggest one thing you would see? Sodium disappearing/bubbles/ppte appearing(1)
Diagram- Reflux/Distillation/lots of different asnwers for this one. Someones got the actual answer in post 689 !! Looks like most people might just scrape one mark for the round bottomed flask .(3)

Ethanethiol question.
Dot and cross diagram(2)
Bond angle around Csh and why? Two lone pairs, two bond pairs. Repel each other to a position of max sep/min rep. 104.5?(3)
Why is 0H0 180 degrees?(2)

color of flame was given(1)
how are Van Der Waals forces formed(2)
Suggest formula of reagent used to convert halogenoalkane to ethanethiol?(1)
Gas produced with ethanethiol-but not an alcohol. So2 and why it is bad?Acid rain.(2)
type of reaction and mechanism (nuleophilic substitution)(2)

Section C
Definition of free rad: a species with an unpaired electron(1)
Suggest dot and cross of no- The no. of electrons stays the same. If it lost an electron the molecule would be an ion. So nitrogen has 5 e's and o has 6. Someone posted a diagram earlier^^^^See post 352 for the answer^^^ (2)

Oxidation and reduction no.s Ag getting oxidised and N getting reduced(4?)
Ag and HN03-balancing Wasnt it: 3Ag + 4HNO3 - NO + 3AgNo3 + 2H2O(2)
If temperature was increased what direction would it go in (2)
Pressure question on yield -same no. of moles(2)
pressure question on rate of reaction. ( I though this was increasing pressure- so increased frequency....etc)(2)
NO on jet engines and cars. From jet engines it will reach the ozone layer quicker and wont have time to break down....(2)
NO equations (3) and then mentioning 2moles of O3 to 3 moles of O2, No is a catalytical radical, blah blah.(5)
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I put hardening of margarine as addition reaction, I though it was adding hydrogens to it to make it saturated

I drew a reflux and for the NO free radical, who knows how that was supposed to look :tongue: I guess that the covalent bond just has three electrons

I totally guess for the fumes at the test tube question

For the last question I think I did the same equation as you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CJRyan
I put hardening of margarine as addition reaction, I though it was adding hydrogens to it to make it saturated

I drew a reflux and for the NO free radical, who knows how that was supposed to look :tongue: I guess that the covalent bond just has three electrons

I totally guess for the fumes at the test tube question

For the last question I think I did the same equation as you :smile:

I guess your right with your first answer. And how would you collect the product using a reflux apparatus ? :confused:
My covalent bond had 4 electrons and in nitrogen I had one less electron in the orbital lol .
How was the paper overall ?
Reply 3
Original post by warkan
I guess your right with your first answer. And how would you collect the product using a reflux apparatus ? :confused:
My covalent bond had 4 electrons and in nitrogen I had one less electron in the orbital lol .
How was the paper overall ?

That free radical makes more sense :tongue:

I thought the paper wasn't too bad, it could've been worse, there was some weird questions thought.

Why are hydrogen bonds 180 degrees? I said something to minimise repulsion of other atoms in molecules that aren't in the hydrogen bond :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by CJRyan
That free radical makes more sense :tongue:

I thought the paper wasn't too bad, it could've been worse, there was some wired questions thought.

Why are hydrogen bonds 180 degrees? I said something to minimise repulsion of other atoms in molecules that aren't in the hydrogen bond :confused:

Definitely lots of new questions compared to past papers !
And well I wrote something similar to yours . To minimize repulsion of two atoms they try and stay as far apart possible and hence 180 degrees is the best angle . :tongue: I even drew two ethanol molecules to show it in the end cuz i was so bored lol
Reply 5
Original post by warkan
Definitely lots of new questions compared to past papers !
And well I wrote something similar to yours . To minimize repulsion of two atoms they try and stay as far apart possible and hence 180 degrees is the best angle . :tongue: I even drew two ethanol molecules to show it in the end cuz i was so bored lol

The paper did seem pretty short, some of my friends also said it seemed short, I had time to check my answers like 3 times and still had time left over :confused: For the Jan Unit 1 I barely had enough time to check my paper once
Reply 6
I just hated the paper !! Like seriously....what this really a chemistry paper? Goshh,... im soo failing it :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by CJRyan
The paper did seem pretty short, some of my friends also said it seemed short, I had time to check my answers like 3 times and still had time left over :confused: For the Jan Unit 1 I barely had enough time to check my paper once

Yeah true that. Not many big questions where you had to write lots. Mostly was one line answers . What did you write for that Jet plane question ? I wrote that from the jet plane the molecules will reach the ozone layer quicker and wont have enough time to breakdown. :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by warkan
Yeah true that. Not many big questions where you had to write lots. Mostly was one line answers . What did you write for that Jet plane question ? I wrote that from the jet plane the molecules will reach the ozone layer quicker and wont have enough time to breakdown. :s-smilie:

Yeah I said due to the plane's altitude it would start react quickly, and in cars the NO might not reach the ozone layer. I also said that planes might produce NO at a higher temperature so they have more energy :confused:
Reply 9
Original post by CJRyan
Yeah I said due to the plane's altitude it would start react quickly, and in cars the NO might not reach the ozone layer. I also said that planes might produce NO at a higher temperature so they have more energy :confused:

But the question said to assume both produce the same amount right ? Would that mean same temperature as well ? :s . Oh well.. Grade boundaries for this paper? Lower than Jan ? perhaps 58/80 for an A ?
Reply 10
i said..
the jet will release NO at a higher distance from the ground ,so the NO will react with the ozone layer more rapidly compared to cars...and since the cars release the NO at low altitude it needs time to reach the ozone layer (and i kept on repeating those two lines untill they made no sense at all) :/
Reply 11
Original post by warkan
SO how was the paper guys ? I found few multiple choice questions challenging ! For the first one the product was Mg(OH)(aq) Twice right ? Then it was the trends in group 2 which was quite simple . The question about the number of peaks I put 3 but not quite sure why though lol.
One more confusing one was the hardening the margirine where I marked substitution reduction.

What apparatus did you guys draw? was it reflux or distillation? In the book it says reflux the mixture but then in the exam it said to show how you would collect the product , so I just drew distillation.

How did your dot and cross diagram for the Nitrogen oxide free radical look like ?

Also what were we supposed to write for how does the fumes form in the top of the test tube ? I Just wrote down the equation. lol

For the last 5 mark question
NO. + O(three) ------>NO(two) + O(two)
NO(two) + O. -----> NO. + O(two)
Combining them both I got O(three) + O. ----> 2O(two)

For the first question the product was MgO (s) because it was reaction with magnesium and steam. Magnesium hydoxide is formed when magnesium reacts with cold water.

In the margarine question i marked addition and reduction because hydrogen causes reduction, gain of hydrogen. I don't remember any example in which hydrogen reacts in a substitution reaction so i think it should be addition.

I drew the reflux apparatus rather than distillation. The question asked how to prepare and collect so the reflux apparatus seems correct. Distillation is used for purification of the substance and this wasn't asked.

For the niitrogen monoxide free radical i drew a triple bond between nitrogen and oxygen in which i drew oxygen with 5 electrons rather than 6 because we had to draw a free radical. I counted electrons on both nitrogen and oxygen and both were 8 electrons.

Your last answer about reaction with ozone looks correct.

On the whole the paper wasn't tough. Might have made a few mistakes but will get atleast greater than 70 out of 80. So hoping my marks turn out to be 120/120 as was the case in unit 1 which i gave in jan 2011 and scored full.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by raheem94
For the first question the product was MgO (s) because it was reaction with magnesium and steam. Magnesium hydoxide is formed when magnesium reacts with cold water.

In the margarine question i marked addition and reduction because hydrogen causes reduction, gain of hydrogen. I don't remember any example in which hydrogen reacts in a substitution reaction so i think it should be addition.

I drew the reflux apparatus rather than distillation. The question asked how to prepare and collect so the reflux apparatus seems correct. Distillation is used for purification of the substance and this wasn't asked.

For the niitrogen monoxide free radical i drew a triple bond between nitrogen and oxygen in which i drew oxygen with 5 electrons rather than 6 because we had to draw a free radical. I counted electrons on both nitrogen and oxygen and both were 8 electrons.

Your last answer about reaction with ozone looks correct.

On the whole the paper wasn't tough. Might have made a few mistakes but will get atleast greater than 70 out of 80. So hoping my marks turn out to be 120/120 as was the case in unit 1 which i gave in jan 2011 and scored full.

Wow looks like I have lost quite a few marks there :tongue: . But how would you collect the product in a reflux apparatus? That word made me change the diagram from reflux to distillation :/
What did you write for the jet plane question ? And also the multiple choice with the number of peaks ?
Grade boundaries for 120/120 ? How much is it usually around ?
Reply 13
lol,i spent more than 10 minutes on the balancing equation and still couldnt get it right (i read the passage and he mentioned something about NO2 in the article so i wrote it down instead of H2O) and there goes 2 more marks :frown:
Reply 14
I actually wrote that jet aircraft leads to an increase in contrails( condensation trails) produced by them. This causes water vapour to condense at high altitudes. And water vapour is a greenhouse gas, so it further contributes to global warming in addition to nitrogen monoxide. :/ not too sure bout this.
Reply 15
i didnt have time to think about the question of the number of peaks so i jst picked the largest (i think it was four) :biggrin:
it was a a distillation diagram btw :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by Erycuna
i didnt have time to think about the question of the number of peaks so i jst picked the largest (i think it was four) :biggrin:
it was a a distillation diagram btw :wink:

Lol I have seen a similar question before . you could get 79 79 or 79 81 or 81 81 . So i picked three.
How do you know its distillation? I am so confused now ! :/
Reply 17
listen i asked all my frnds (including 4 ppl with 120 in unit 1) three ppl said distillation because u need to collect the alkene and 1 said u can draw both,and some other frnds told me that u need to draw a collection tube etc...
Reply 18
what was the question after the one about KCl reacting with H2SO4?
I thought the MCQ's were alright but the paper o_O.. sure as heck didnt look like a chemistry one =/
For the MCQ's I also wrote MgO (s) as the product..erm only One peak ? coz they asked for the M peak and in the CGP book it says thats only one so? also what was the percentage error? i got 0.4% i think. the error x2 divided by 20? For the margarine i wrote addition and reduction as well. Oxidation just seemed weird and it made more sense that if hydrogen was being added that it would be addition.
The balancing equation -_- i spent ages on it and still couldnt get it right! i just put H20 in that other blank line and stuck random numbers.
For the diagram.. i put reflux. initially i drew distillation because it said and collect products.. but i remember so strongly that that reaction HAD to be done under reflux so i just ended up drawing that.
For that pressure question was there no change? coz the moles on both sides were balanced.
For the titration.. what were we supposed to take for the mean titre. i just took 9.. coz we're always supposed to ignore the first rough reading right =/ and i put the indicator as starch.
For the reaction between ethanethiol and sodium.. i just substituted the H with Na+ and put 1/2 H2 as the product with it.
For observation for that i wrote fizzing?
Also for that oxidation and reduction question.. i completely blanked out =/ what was the answer for that.. i just wrote Ag as being oxidised =S

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending