The Student Room Group

Edexcel Chemistry unit 2 May 2011 (Exam discussion)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by alz333
didnt the question say if you increase pressure on the for rate of reaction

There was 2.
One on yeild with increase pressure and one on rate
Reply 61
what do you think the grade boundry would be i thought section b was quite tricky so i would think the grade boundry would be around the reigon of 55/56 for an A
Reply 62
for the gas i put carbon monoxide ???? also, i put 3 peaks . For the question on water and potassium iodede i put yellow colour forms. Also, for the question about about concentration why it increases the rate of reaction i put that the molecules are packaged togehter and vibrate so collide more with each other and that causes increase rate of reaction?
Reply 63
Grade boundaries hopefully 55-60 for an A ! Lots of tricky ones on section B . Even MCQ about 2-4 marks you had to struggle a lot.

A full UMS I am guessing you would need something around 70 +
I wrote chlorine in water as colorless.. is that okay or should i have put pale yellow.. CGP book says colorless =S
Reply 65
Original post by Great
for the gas i put carbon monoxide ???? also, i put 3 peaks . For the question on water and potassium iodede i put yellow colour forms. Also, for the question about about concentration why it increases the rate of reaction i put that the molecules are packaged togehter and vibrate so collide more with each other and that causes increase rate of reaction?

Omg Yeah I put carbon monoxide too for incomplete combustion ! and said it was a green house gas. Was the first color green- yellow and then it turns yellow right ?
Reply 66
yes exactly !!
Reply 67
What did people write for the redox question on section c
chlorine water is HOCl???
messed that one up, the one about the balancing the equation, it took me like 10 attempts, im being serious, and i still couldn't get it right. i got told after the exam by one of my peers that H2 was the final product, im hoping im still in the A bracket
Reply 69
I put nitrogen has been reduced and silver oxidation
Reply 70
Am I the only one who thought the gas given off in the ethanethiol question was H2S? What was the actual
question?
Reply 71
Is the colour pottasium chloride in the flame lilac
Original post by alz333
Is the colour pottasium chloride in the flame lilac

yes, potassium is always lilac
Original post by beelz
That's what I thought :O

isn't that part for the equilibrium? Then the next question is lower pressure for rate of reaction?
Reply 74
Original post by warkan
Yeah agreed with the reflux apparatus in book but in the exam paper it also said to collect the product. How would you collect the product in a reflux apparatus ?

the answer is the pparatus is similar to that of cracking,
add cotton wool mixed in both liquids, in testube, with bung and delivery tube and over cold water with inverted testtube. then apply heat to first test tube, gases are released and coolect in inverted test tube.
Reply 75
wasnt there or question on the flame colour of pottasium 17d if i am correct
Original post by xstrawberryswingx
I wrote chlorine in water as colorless.. is that okay or should i have put pale yellow.. CGP book says colorless =S

I put pale greenish yellow :frown:
What's the colour of iodine in chlorine water? I wrote brown. :frown:
Reply 78
Original post by Machimbawe
the answer is the pparatus is similar to that of cracking,
add cotton wool mixed in both liquids, in testube, with bung and delivery tube and over cold water with inverted testtube. then apply heat to first test tube, gases are released and coolect in inverted test tube.

I doubt if anyone drew that lol . Probably 70 % reflux and 20 % distillation and maybe 10 % this.
Original post by ACatCalledMeow
isn't that part for the equilibrium? Then the next question is lower pressure for rate of reaction?

no, increase in pressure increases the rate of the reaction as more collisions take place, hence rate increasing.

didn't you put that down??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending