The Student Room Group

Edexcel Chemistry unit 2 May 2011 (Exam discussion)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by beelz
Am I the only one who thought the gas given off in the ethanethiol question was H2S? What was the actual
question?

Wasn't it something about incomplete combustion ? so I just put Carbon monoxide. :s-smilie:
Reply 81
Original post by Machimbawe
the answer is the pparatus is similar to that of cracking,
add cotton wool mixed in both liquids, in testube, with bung and delivery tube and over cold water with inverted testtube. then apply heat to first test tube, gases are released and coolect in inverted test tube.

no you must use a syringe to collect the gas not an inverted test tube, that would cause most of the gas to escape by the time you turn it around. It is a normal distillation reaction with the tube connected to a syringe and with an extra tap on the flask to prevent anygas from escaping when you add the reactants. Chlorine water is colourless and the colour turns to brown when adding potassium iodide.
Reply 82
I drew a reflux with a condernser. Also, i put hcl gas given off andi wrote that you can see fumes coming out of the test tube. Also, for the question about free radical i wrote that they have lone pairs do you think they will accpet that i forgot to say unparied??
Original post by warkan
Wasn't it something about incomplete combustion ? so I just put Carbon monoxide. :s-smilie:

yeah it was carbon monoxide. silly me, when i first saw the question i didnt even think about carbon monoxide as carbon dioxide is a more popular greenhouse gas so i put that down instead, arghhh man im so annoyed, but i should salvage a hard earned A from that, you?
Reply 84
Original post by warkan
Wow looks like I have lost quite a few marks there :tongue: . But how would you collect the product in a reflux apparatus? That word made me change the diagram from reflux to distillation :/
What did you write for the jet plane question ? And also the multiple choice with the number of peaks ?
Grade boundaries for 120/120 ? How much is it usually around ?

The substances in the flask will react and move into the condenser where they will be condensed to liquid and will return in the flask. So we could collect the product from flask. If we have to separate the products than we have to carry out distillation but for preparation reflux should be used according to my knowledge. So i don't think that a 3 marks question expects to draw both, distillation and reflux.

The NO released by jet plane will be closer to the ozone layer so it will affect it more while the NO released by cars may not be able to reach ozone because it is too high so it may disslove in rain water forming acid rain.

I answer 3 peaks. The compound contained two bromine atoms so their could be three molecular ion peaks one containing both bromine with RAM of 79, one containing one bromine of RAM 79 and other of 81 and another containing both bromine with RAM 81.

I don't have much idea of unit 2 grade boundaries but i think that about 75/80 will be fine for 120.
Reply 85
Original post by James A
yeah it was carbon monoxide. silly me, when i first saw the question i didnt even think about carbon monoxide as carbon dioxide is a more popular greenhouse gas so i put that down instead, arghhh man im so annoyed, but i should salvage a hard earned A from that, you?

what question is this?
Original post by James A
no, increase in pressure increases the rate of the reaction as more collisions take place, hence rate increasing.

didn't you put that down??

Huh? If i'm not mistaken, there were 2 questions on pressure. the first part is the effect, if any, of increasing the pressure on the equilibrium. The next question was the effect of lowering the pressure on the rate of reaction. :s-smilie:

Can anyone verify this? :s-smilie:
i put that the jet engines are produced near the stratosphere, hence a faster break down of the ozone.

Also, i messed up the mean titre, for most past papers you have to use the final reading right ?? i took a mean of that which was like 40 something. i think its wrong but the thing i wanna ask you guys is wether i will get carry on marks.
Reply 88
Original post by ACatCalledMeow
Huh? If i'm not mistaken, there were 2 questions on pressure. the first part is the effect, if any, of increasing the pressure on the equilibrium. The next question was the effect of lowering the pressure on the rate of reaction. :s-smilie:

they both were related to an increase in pressure, the second one was not a decrase.
Reply 89
It's okay, I put chlorine water as colourless as well, because that's what it says in the CGP, it's colourless in water and hexane.
I put reflux cause it said to a high temperature, but maybe it was a delivery tube? :/
I made such a stupid mistake, I wrote NO2 free radicals at first and I thought that NO2 is stable, so I changed it to NO4 lol WTF?
do you think they'll mark the question as a whole or just give you a mark if you have points like NO is regenerated and starts off a chain reaction. and my overall equation was right too.
got the uncertainty MCQ wrong, what about the one about atom economy is 56%, was it B, and was electrophillic addition A or D?
ahh and I couldn't balance that Ag equation cause I wrote H2 -facepalm-
2 marks there.
I wanted a 105-110 in this, don't think it's going to happen.
Reply 90
Original post by Alakamind
no you must use a syringe to collect the gas not an inverted test tube, that would cause most of the gas to escape by the time you turn it around. It is a normal distillation reaction with the tube connected to a syringe and with an extra tap on the flask to prevent anygas from escaping when you add the reactants. Chlorine water is colourless and the colour turns to brown when adding potassium iodide.

My book says when chlorine is dissolved in water it forms a yellow green solution :redface:

the first question your right, however the second question said 'how would the pressure affect the rate of reaction'. i dont think it specifically said 'decrease in pressure' , again could someone confirm im right, thanks.
Reply 92
Original post by James A

it wasnt carbon monoxide because it said the it was complete combustion and it would relase sulfur based oxides which will leads to acid rain acidify lake corrode buildings and statues etc..

Yes I remember that, except I think it was the effect of increasing pressure on rate. At lest that's what I answered :s-smilie:
Original post by Alakamind
they both were related to an increase in pressure, the second one was not a decrase.

ahhh true, increase in pressure for both question. But one is equlibrium another is the rate! :colondollar:
Original post by alz333
it wasnt carbon monoxide because it said the it was complete combustion and it would relase sulfur based oxides which will leads to acid rain acidify lake corrode buildings and statues etc..

oh rightt, yeah some of my friends told me that after, dammmmitttttt, yeah your right:smile:
Reply 96
No i dont think we had to draw both condenser and reflux we had to draw one which was the reflux and label them correctly it was only 3 marks!
Reply 97
Original post by James A

which question was this? section 3?
ahhh true, increase in pressure for both question. But one is equlibrium another is the rate! :colondollar:

again, the first question there is no affect on the equilibrium as increasing the pressure will have no effect ( same amount of moles of gas on each side of the equation which cancel out ), again someone confirm this lol
Original post by Naima100
which question was this? section 3?

not sure man, i think it was the end of section B

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending