The Student Room Group

2 GCSE's in 8 Weeks

Hey there, I've got some questions regarding taking GCSE privately.

I came from Germany last year and unfortunately I couldn’t use my previous qualifications to gain a place at a sixth form to study A levels. They've told me that the syllabus from my country and the GCSE's are very different and I may struggle in those rigorous science subjects I wish to take. So I looked for places where I can study GCSE’s and have now finished a one year intensive GCSE course where I studied 6 GCSE's including english lang, math, triple science and ict. I’ve gained 3A* and 3 As.

I would like to apply for medicine after my A levels and looking into the med applicants thread, I was shocked to see that the average students having 10 GCSE's which are mostly A*/As.

Now, to have a somehow competitive application, I would like to know if I should consider doing two more GCSEs in the summer holidays which I can teach myself easily using revision guides. I could then take them in November, so that they do not destruct me badly from my AS subjects.

My question is, is it possible to do 2 gcse's in 8 weeks and if yes, which GCSE apart from the ones I already have are easy when self teaching? And would Med schools have anything against it, if I take my GCSE in different time periods as I am about to do.

Thanks for reading my post, I hope you can assist me with some advice.
GCSEs are taught in roughly 150-170ish hours, however a lot of what is taught isn't in the exams and it won't be as intensive as if you are studying alone. Given you have 6 hours of study time a day, you will have approximately 336 hours of total study time in eight weeks. I'd say it's comfortably possible for you to cover the subjects, but you'll have to work hard to get the top grades :smile:
Original post by Giggy88
Hey there, I've got some questions regarding taking GCSE privately.

I came from Germany last year and unfortunately I couldn’t use my previous qualifications to gain a place at a sixth form to study A levels. They've told me that the syllabus from my country and the GCSE's are very different and I may struggle in those rigorous science subjects I wish to take. So I looked for places where I can study GCSE’s and have now finished a one year intensive GCSE course where I studied 6 GCSE's including english lang, math, triple science and ict. I’ve gained 3A* and 3 As.

I would like to apply for medicine after my A levels and looking into the med applicants thread, I was shocked to see that the average students having 10 GCSE's which are mostly A*/As.

Now, to have a somehow competitive application, I would like to know if I should consider doing two more GCSEs in the summer holidays which I can teach myself easily using revision guides. I could then take them in November, so that they do not destruct me badly from my AS subjects.

My question is, is it possible to do 2 gcse's in 8 weeks and if yes, which GCSE apart from the ones I already have are easy when self teaching? And would Med schools have anything against it, if I take my GCSE in different time periods as I am about to do.

Thanks for reading my post, I hope you can assist me with some advice.

I'd suggest (if you're good at maths) to take a further maths gcse... In terms of extra material there isn't really loads of content to learn... therefore if you're naturally quite good, it should be an easy A*.

I'm not so sure about the second gcse, perhaps something like R.E... I know it seems like a pointless subject but it's just to boost the number of gcses you have... Edexcel is probably the best exam board for this... what's more the short course doesn't have that much material and even though it technically counts as half a gcse, you could probably still count it as another a/a*... I know it's one of the easiest GCSEs out there... last year out of a year group of 200 people in my school, 70 people got A*s.

Edit: Couldn't you just take German and ace it easily?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest