The Student Room Group

Independent Study for GCSE should be compulsory

Some Students in A Levels are struggling to cope up with independent studies because of a lot of independent study (50%) (13.5-18 hours). However, since GCSE’s consistent of roughly 9 or 10 subjects, it should be 8% of the time (2 hours) independent study and only doing 8 or 9 GCSE Subjects roughly. This will help for students when they go on to do A Levels, BTECS or apprenticeships as well as later on in life for Uni/Jobs.
(edited 12 months ago)
Independent studies? What's that?

Whatever you're on about, people do manage with the GCSEs. No point making things easier just because people complain.
Reply 2
Original post by Uni_student3132
Independent studies? What's that?

Whatever you're on about, people do manage with the GCSEs. No point making things easier just because people complain.

GCSE’s will always be easier but some don’t understand the importance of independent study in A Levels, and this teaches kids earlier on.
Reply 3
Quite a lot of people are messing up AS Mocks from lack of independent study, so a steady increase in independent study hours will help those struggling.
Original post by RP75
GCSE’s will always be easier but some don’t understand the importance of independent study in A Levels, and this teaches kids earlier on.

I agree with your general concept. Perhaps there should be 2 hours independent study for Y10, slightly increase that for Y11?

Then less independent study for Y12 than Y13, but Y12 has more than Y11? That way the transition is more gradual.

Original post by RP75
Quite a lot of people are messing up AS Mocks from lack of independent study, so a steady increase in independent study hours will help those struggling.

I agree, it was tough for me going from GCSE to A-level, with the massive amount of independent study required.

If students are doing the Ebaac, that cuts out elective options, and reduce the time spent for other activities.
Reply 5
Original post by justlearning1469
I agree with your general concept. Perhaps there should be 2 hours independent study for Y10, slightly increase that for Y11?

Then less independent study for Y12 than Y13, but Y12 has more than Y11? That way the transition is more gradual.

I agree, it was tough for me going from GCSE to A-level, with the massive amount of independent study required.

If students are doing the Ebaac, that cuts out elective options, and reduce the time spent for other activities.

Yes, that’s a good idea, I had to scrap the idea for longer school hours, but I believe starting in year 10 sounds more fair and gradually increasing for Y11 etc.
Original post by RP75
Yes, that’s a good idea, I had to scrap the idea for longer school hours, but I believe starting in year 10 sounds more fair and gradually increasing for Y11 etc.

Remember for new standards, the school week needs to be at least 32.5 hours. If you add in the time for homework, you're looking at a ~40 hour workload. Longer school hours would increase the hours spent, and is arguably hypocritical given the standard work week for adults is ~40 hours.

To smooth the transition even further, in KS3 there should be study skills sessions and time management sessions to prepare for this.

Maybe Y10 has 2 hours, Y11 5 hours, Y12 10 hours and Y13 15 hours of independent study? Would this work?
Reply 7
Original post by justlearning1469
Remember for new standards, the school week needs to be at least 32.5 hours. If you add in the time for homework, you're looking at a ~40 hour workload. Longer school hours would increase the hours spent, and is arguably hypocritical given the standard work week for adults is ~40 hours.

To smooth the transition even further, in KS3 there should be study skills sessions and time management sessions to prepare for this.

Maybe Y10 has 2 hours, Y11 5 hours, Y12 10 hours and Y13 15 hours of independent study? Would this work?

Yes, that does sound fair. My initial thought were 2, 4, 12, 16. But I guess that works as well.
(edited 12 months ago)
Original post by RP75
Yes, that does sound fair. My initial thought were 2, 4, 12, 16. But I guess that works as well.

Both has pros and cons. Your style is easier to organise, but my style has a smoother transition between Y11 and Y12.

Quick Reply

Latest