The Student Room Group

Retake gcse maths

Would it be hard to retake gcse maths along side my 3 a levels i got a 5 and was 4 marks from a 6 also how many hours of revision would I need to be doing from January to get a 7/8
I'm going to be resitting 8 gcses and maths aswell, I got a grade worse than you did and was 2 marks of a 5. I did some research and spoke to my career advisor and they told me that in a span of 8 months, I'd need to do 8 hours of revision for 8 gcse's a day. So if you can fit in a minimum 90-120 minutes a day since there are only 5 months left till gcse's begin then you should be able to. If you revised for 90 minutes per day then you would have revised for a total of 231 hours which is good considering you wouldn't learn guided maths in school for more than 80 total hours across the 39 week year. You could do even less than this depending on how fast you learn. My doctor has also advised me to drink water to improve memory and lessen brain fog. Memory is a chemical process, memories can be triggered by cues which is why people say you should chew gum when you revise and chew it again during your exam. Pills like lions mane or pills including ingredients such as: magneisum l threonate, bacopa monneri, ginko biloba and l theanine are amazing supplements which help the brain to function in different ways, I personally use FocusFusion by Troo Healthcare which contains all of these and more, it's 13 pound and provides you with 1 month's usage, if you want to use less money then just opt for lions mane with fruiting bodies. (You can get it off amazon.) Anyways, hope you do well.
Original post by jellybeansar
I'm going to be resitting 8 gcses and maths aswell, I got a grade worse than you did and was 2 marks of a 5. I did some research and spoke to my career advisor and they told me that in a span of 8 months, I'd need to do 8 hours of revision for 8 gcse's a day. So if you can fit in a minimum 90-120 minutes a day since there are only 5 months left till gcse's begin then you should be able to. If you revised for 90 minutes per day then you would have revised for a total of 231 hours which is good considering you wouldn't learn guided maths in school for more than 80 total hours across the 39 week year. You could do even less than this depending on how fast you learn. My doctor has also advised me to drink water to improve memory and lessen brain fog. Memory is a chemical process, memories can be triggered by cues which is why people say you should chew gum when you revise and chew it again during your exam. Pills like lions mane or pills including ingredients such as: magneisum l threonate, bacopa monneri, ginko biloba and l theanine are amazing supplements which help the brain to function in different ways, I personally use FocusFusion by Troo Healthcare which contains all of these and more, it's 13 pound and provides you with 1 month's usage, if you want to use less money then just opt for lions mane with fruiting bodies. (You can get it off amazon.) Anyways, hope you do well.

I just realised that you want to start in January, if I was in your position I'd have done 2 hours a day from January but that's a lot and since you only want 7/8 and you aren't opting for a 9 then you could probably still manage with 90 minutes or less. I have ADHD so I can't concentrate well which is why I'd have to do more work to achieve better results. You should do fine, since you passed you're going to have to pay around 120-330 pound to resit the exam, you also are going to have to apply to sit the exam at a private exam centre soon, before Mid January or you're either going to be denied entree or be expected to pay a late fee unless your college is paying for it.
Reply 3

Thank you so much this helps a lot I’m definitely going to go forward with it then
Reply 4
I just realised that you want to start in January, if I was in your position I'd have done 2 hours a day from January but that's a lot and since you only want 7/8 and you aren't opting for a 9 then you could probably still manage with 90 minutes or less. I have ADHD so I can't concentrate well which is why I'd have to do more work to achieve better results. You should do fine, since you passed you're going to have to pay around 120-330 pound to resit the exam, you also are going to have to apply to sit the exam at a private exam centre soon, before Mid January or you're either going to be denied entree or be expected to pay a late fee unless your college is paying for it.

Oh yeah that makes sense good luck to you too hope you do well!

Quick Reply

Latest