The Student Room Group

People who revise the night before.

Scroll to see replies

I revise the few hours before so I guess that counts

I don't really worry about A levels too much because I know I can revise for a few days straight if I really needed too.
Reply 41
Original post by supernova92
I'm sorry but why the **** would you want to purposefully get 0 marks and U's ? :lolwut:

'Cause I got an F in the coursework and I'm not going to waste time on a subject that'll do **** all for me in the future. Unlike the vast majority of TSR, I actually have some perspective and can see when something's just taking the piss.

And even if I got 100% in the theory exam, I'd still not get a C 'cause of the coursework. So a U is better.

EMZ.
Reply 42
Original post by Emor
Are you guys worried about having to do proper revision come A-Level?

I've never revised for prolonged periods in my life. I revise like half an hour the night before exams and do fine.

I'm somewhat worried, but I do think I should do okay without much revision, though I'm not sure. When I read something I just remember it so I don't really see why I would need to revise more than I currently am at A-Level, but then again, a lot of people on here seem to say the revising the night before and memorising the revision guide won't work.

Maybe the emphasis is more on the application of your knowledge as opposed to merely showing that you know random facts?

(I'm doing maths, f. maths, chemistry, biology and maybe physics/economics btw).

EMZ=]

I revise the day before for GCSEs but because A levels are so much more important, I'm not going to have a life during exam seasons from now on :biggrin:
I I'm not worried, because I'm going to change my habits. Also 2 of my A levels are languages and you can't really cram for those, you have to do it over a period of time.
depends on your goals, the subjects in question and how hard you've worked during the year tbh

I didn't revise very much for C1, C2 or S1 (did a few past papers, and that was more to boost my confidence than anything), but did a lot for history etc :colonhash: You just have be intelligent about it.
Reply 44
Original post by Emor

I've never revised for prolonged periods in my life. I revise like half an hour the night before exams and do fine.

I'm somewhat worried, but I do think I should do okay without much revision, though I'm not sure. When I read something I just remember it so I don't really see why I would need to revise more than I currently am at A-Level, but then again, a lot of people on here seem to say the revising the night before and memorising the revision guide won't work.

Maybe the emphasis is more on the application of your knowledge as opposed to merely showing that you know random facts?

(I'm doing maths, f. maths, chemistry, biology and maybe physics/economics btw).

EMZ=]

I think you're underestimating the difference between GCSE and A level. You will need to work a whole lot harder to do well next year. For GCSEs you can just memorise things, for A levels you have to understand them in depth.
Original post by Emor
'Cause I got an F in the coursework and I'm not going to waste time on a subject that'll do **** all for me in the future. Unlike the vast majority of TSR, I actually have some perspective and can see when something's just taking the piss.

And even if I got 100% in the theory exam, I'd still not get a C 'cause of the coursework. So a U is better.

EMZ.

Hmmm, I'd still think any grade would be better than a U.
Fair enough though if you don't want to waste your time revising...
Reply 46
it kinda works, as you only need a short memory then, as the exams the next day. It worked for me in the first year of sixth form tbh but not for everyone..

however when it comes to the second year its time to pull your finger out as i found out. Had straight A's in all four subjects first year and carried all 4 at A2. currently down to ABBB averages only because i had averaged over 90% in chemistry.

although just need 82% in s2 to get A in Maths, and average 75% in the last 2 business modules to get an A (However i did really bad in one last week and probably got a D) but biology i need 97% to get an A.

I blame turning 18 and going out too often then not doing enough revision in the xmas holidays. January results were a big shock for me! but hopefully wont happen again this summer! So to all people going into the second year, dont be foolish when turning 18 and go out every weekend like me. Kills the Brain Cells
It doesn't work at AS level. But it does at A2 because you have the knack of retaining a large amount of knowledge and you know how essays are structured etc
Reply 48
Original post by Emor

EMZ=]

I did Maths, FM, Chem, Physics, and Economics at AS (dropped Eco for A2) so basically the same subjects as you.

Economics - Revise the night before and you'll do okay, although the essay Q may cost you a grade.

Physics - If you're any good at maths you can get by on one day of revision.

Chemistry - Huge syllabus compared to GCSE and exams consisting of regurgitating facts mindlessly. It doesn't matter how well you understand it, if you don't know the angle between the bonds in water is 104.5 degrees, you'll lose the marks. Lots of revision needed for A* grades.

M and FM. - Thought I could do these with no revision (A* GCSE, A FSMQ, top 100 in Maths Olympiad UKMT, nationally) but I've found out there's tons to revise, not because you can't figure it out but if you don't know lots of equations before the exam you'll never finish in time. You have to learn a lot of different results for calculations and be able to recognise when their needed, not like GCSE.
Hmmm, I'd still think any grade would be better than a U.
Fair enough though if you don't want to waste your time revising...

if you have an overall U then that means you have a fail, so you have don't get a qualification

all A's and B's looks better than A's, B's and an F
Original post by Helloworld_95
if you have an overall U then that means you have a fail, so you have don't get a qualification

all A's and B's looks better than A's, B's and an F

I guess, unless you do actually have to declare your grades, even if it's a fail? Unis may or may not see them, i have no idea.. :tongue:
I guess, unless you do actually have to declare your grades, even if it's a fail? Unis may or may not see them, i have no idea.. :tongue:

I'd say it's better to get a U than an F or an E, because you don't have to declare them unlike the latter two (you have to declare any grade that certificates).

A*A*A*AAAAA looks better than A*A*A*AAAAAFE imo :colonhash:
Original post by medbh4805
I'd say it's better to get a U than an F or an E, because you don't have to declare them unlike the latter two (you have to declare any grade that certificates).

I agree it does look better but does the fact that you did the exam just vanish? Like, won't it be on some system or something? Anyhow, it's only gcses's but for As/a2 levels i would argue otherwise :smile:
Also I don't want to derail the thread.... :colondollar:
Reply 53

I agree it does look better but does the fact that you did the exam just vanish? Like, won't it be on some system or something? Anyhow, it's only gcses's but for As/a2 levels i would argue otherwise :smile:
Also I don't want to derail the thread.... :colondollar:

There's a lot of controversy as to whether you do or don't have to state U 'graded' GCSE's. Since you technically don't have a GCSE in it.

I'm doing 10 GCSE's, I honestly think 9 A/B's will look better than 10 A/B's and a D/E.

Using your 'any grade is better than nothing' logic, then it'd be better to have 14 GCSE's rather than 10, with the last 4 being E's. I really think most people wouldn't agree with that though.

EMZ=]
Reply 54
Original post by Ch1pp0
I did Maths, FM, Chem, Physics, and Economics at AS (dropped Eco for A2) so basically the same subjects as you.

Economics - Revise the night before and you'll do okay, although the essay Q may cost you a grade.

Physics - If you're any good at maths you can get by on one day of revision.

Chemistry - Huge syllabus compared to GCSE and exams consisting of regurgitating facts mindlessly. It doesn't matter how well you understand it, if you don't know the angle between the bonds in water is 104.5 degrees, you'll lose the marks. Lots of revision needed for A* grades.

M and FM. - Thought I could do these with no revision (A* GCSE, A FSMQ, top 100 in Maths Olympiad UKMT, nationally) but I've found out there's tons to revise, not because you can't figure it out but if you don't know lots of equations before the exam you'll never finish in time. You have to learn a lot of different results for calculations and be able to recognise when their needed, not like GCSE.

Thanks for the indepth response. I'm not sure how it'll be with the biology and chemistry from what people are saying. I'm pretty good at memorising facts, I generally remember them when I'm told in class tbh. Even random calculations or numbers I'll just remember without thinking about it.

It's when I have no interest for a subject that it becomes impossible. I really hope I don't end up in a subject/unit with biology or whatever where I just have no motivation.

EMZ=]
Original post by Emor
There's a lot of controversy as to whether you do or don't have to state U 'graded' GCSE's. Since you technically don't have a GCSE in it.
I'm doing 10 GCSE's, I honestly think 9 A/B's will look better than 10 A/B's and a D/E.

Using your 'any grade is better than nothing' logic, then it'd be better to have 14 GCSE's rather than 10, with the last 4 being E's. I really think most people wouldn't agree with that though.

EMZ=]

erm, no. it's quite clear. You categorically do not have to declare them.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1401449

"All your GCSEs must be entered, even that embarassing grade you got for ICT in Year 10, if you achieved a grade of G or higher."

edit: unless your school is weird and certificates U grades, but that's extremely rare
(edited 12 years ago)
my uni conditions really have had a bad effect on my revision habits. My Canadian conditions are 2B's (i've given SAT, ACT Sat subject test so that's why they're low) and i'v got physics math and chemistry to give at the A level. I've always spent so much time on chemistry just to get a B and this has a bad effect on the other grades.

So this year, i'm pushing chem aside and going for physics and Math. I'm expecting 2A's and 1D or 1C i dont know :biggrin:
but honestly if my conditions included chemistry I'd have studied it. Now whenever I do, I feel as if I'm wasting time.

and tomorrows my chem exam, so just started the night revision thing. lets see if it works :biggrin:
Original post by Jake200493
REVISING THE NIGHT BEFORE DOES NOT WORK AT A-LEVEL
My school didn't warn us of that and we all did really bad in Year 12, so I'm warning you now- pull your finger out in Year 12, or you'll get a short, sharp shock on results day.

Why's everyone saying this, it's really not that bad to do it at A level if it suits you.
Reply 58
:confused::biggrin::eek::colone::colondollar::rolleyes:
Original post by Emor

EMZ=]

i did that 4 my media mock and got an A!
now ive hust done my proper media exam but revised for 1 day or 2 so i wunda how i did.
gud luk if u hav any other exams.:biggrin::p:o:wink::smile::p:D:rolleyes::cool::eek::colondollar::biggrin::p:o:smile::wink::cool::redface:
Reply 59
erm, no. it's quite clear. You categorically do not have to declare them.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1401449

"All your GCSEs must be entered, even that embarassing grade you got for ICT in Year 10, if you achieved a grade of G or higher."

edit: unless your school is weird and certificates U grades, but that's extremely rare

Just search for any thread on here about U-grades, you'll see various people saying different things.

I have pretty much the same view as you, but others think differently.

EMZ=]

Quick Reply

Latest