The Student Room Group

gcse day of exams

what does ur typical routine like the night before the exam and the day of the exam and how to revise to get 8's and 9's the night before
Reply 1
What works for me is to not touch any work a few days before,(work relating to the topic)so that I can relax without the pressure of how I need to do this and that or I risk failing, and then I'll cram a day or two before the exam. I will do very little on the day on the exam because I can sometimes panic and skip over vital parts of the question. If you haven't learnt something in the five years you've had, you may struggle to learn it in one night, it might be better to be fresh and ready for the exam.Also go to sleep early, and get to school early so you don't miss the exam. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by sharanyaganti
what does ur typical routine like the night before the exam and the day of the exam and how to revise to get 8's and 9's the night before

Firstly, you will not be able to get 8s and 9s if you have not done any revision at all prior to mid-may. The following tips assume you already did the bunk of the work beginning at least two months before the start of the exam period.

What I used to do was watching whole topic videos for the exam I had just before the exam and the night before. Primrose kitten, Physics online and various others have very good ones. For subjects that do not have this kind of content online, try rereading your notes and use flashcards you have made before for stuff you know you always forget to do in exams. By now you should have enough practice of past papers to know what you are good at and what you always forget. If you lack motivation, GCSE last minute tips are usually a motivation boost.

Then usual advice, get 8h sleep at least to be able to concentrate very hard (you cannot believe the difference it makes) alternatively, drink coffee if you know you are tired and I would advise to drink coffee before each exam if that is the case. But it is always better to sleep to be honest. doing past paper last minute will not really help.

If you have not done any preparation at all, stick to whole topic revision videos for the subjects that matter the most to you and use flashcards quickly for stuff you know you forget. Try narrowing down to the few subjects you need for sixth form and for life in general.

As for a "routine":
morning:
wake up a bit earlier to reread our notes/use flashcards. Keep using them until the start of the exam.
go to your exam.
Revise for afternoon exam.
Go to afternoon exam. (don't forget water bottles)
when you get back home change and eat something.
either sleep or go on reddit to check what people said of the exam (it is usually hugely entertaining, but don't spend too much time there)
get back to do some revision for exam you have in morning. Eat. go to sleep straightaway to be able to wake up the day after. If you abuse on caffeine you might have difficulties sleeping... This is why its better to sleep rather than drink coffee.
Reply 3
Original post by wilderose
Firstly, you will not be able to get 8s and 9s if you have not done any revision at all prior to mid-may. The following tips assume you already did the bunk of the work beginning at least two months before the start of the exam period.

What I used to do was watching whole topic videos for the exam I had just before the exam and the night before. Primrose kitten, Physics online and various others have very good ones. For subjects that do not have this kind of content online, try rereading your notes and use flashcards you have made before for stuff you know you always forget to do in exams. By now you should have enough practice of past papers to know what you are good at and what you always forget. If you lack motivation, GCSE last minute tips are usually a motivation boost.

Then usual advice, get 8h sleep at least to be able to concentrate very hard (you cannot believe the difference it makes) alternatively, drink coffee if you know you are tired and I would advise to drink coffee before each exam if that is the case. But it is always better to sleep to be honest. doing past paper last minute will not really help.

If you have not done any preparation at all, stick to whole topic revision videos for the subjects that matter the most to you and use flashcards quickly for stuff you know you forget. Try narrowing down to the few subjects you need for sixth form and for life in general.

As for a "routine":
morning:
wake up a bit earlier to reread our notes/use flashcards. Keep using them until the start of the exam.
go to your exam.
Revise for afternoon exam.
Go to afternoon exam. (don't forget water bottles)
when you get back home change and eat something.
either sleep or go on reddit to check what people said of the exam (it is usually hugely entertaining, but don't spend too much time there)
get back to do some revision for exam you have in morning. Eat. go to sleep straightaway to be able to wake up the day after. If you abuse on caffeine you might have difficulties sleeping... This is why its better to sleep rather than drink coffee.

okay thank you so much, and what would you say to do revision wise the night before the exam as in past paper questions or some flashcards or quick questions?
Reply 4
Original post by sharanyaganti
okay thank you so much, and what would you say to do revision wise the night before the exam as in past paper questions or some flashcards or quick questions?

depends on subject - for history type subjects: do flashcards + exam techniques (i used to have exam sentence starters that i memorised before getting in)
english language: plan a couple of creative writing to adapt on the day, (i think this is the only thing that saved me) for non-fiction, keep in mind the different formats you need to be able to write and review how to get max marks from mark schemes.
sciences: whole topic videos + specific flashcards (like biology, the quadrat stuff) physics: equations, if you have model answers flashcards from past paper questions you made, then review them as well. Review how to convert numbers from milli to nano to giga etc.., i was surprised it came up on one of my science exams (can't remember which one tho, physics maybe)
The only use to past papers in my opinion the night before is for maths. Maybe for calculations in sciences as well... Apart from that idk

Quick Reply

Latest