The Student Room Group

Tattoo Appreciation Soc. Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Delta_Aitch
I'm sure there's enough interest to see ourselves with a good heap of members. As long as people continue to post in here, I think we'll be fine. We'll just have to sit tight and see what happens :moon:

The main hurdle's past us, though, as I thought our soc would be too similar to the Body Mod soc to be recognised on it's own, but wheeey, it's worked out fine :yy:

No, I agree. Ideally, keeping this thread active is the main aim. Members in a society is a secondary consideration if they're not contributing.

Will have to see how it goes, indeed. Feel free to haul some good posters/tattoo enthusiasts on board too. :yes:

Original post by strawberry
I have two tattoos, but will have to dig up the photos lol

What've you got?
Original post by zjs
No, I agree. Ideally, keeping this thread active is the main aim. Members in a society is a secondary consideration if they're not contributing.

Will have to see how it goes, indeed. Feel free to haul some good posters/tattoo enthusiasts on board too. :yes:

What've you got?

I will stake out the Body Mod thread and steal their posters :colone:

Nah, I play fair. I will keep my eyes out for anyone interested in tattoos, though :yy:
(am also in the process of adding it to my sig, also)
Original post by zjs
What've you got?

big tramp stamp and a gemini ankle tat.
I have been thinking a lot about extending the one on my back so it curls around my hip but I know my boyfriend isn't a big fan of tattoos in general and it took him a while to get over the fact lol
Original post by Goody2Shoes-x

Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
Here's mine! First shot was a day after I got it done, so it's scabbing slightly, second was taken two seconds ago by me :tongue: Excuse rubbish quality of my camera!

oh my god, your tattoo is adorable!
Reply 184
I will stake out the Body Mod thread and steal their posters :colone:

Nah, I play fair. I will keep my eyes out for anyone interested in tattoos, though :yy:
(am also in the process of adding it to my sig, also)

The majority of Bod Mod is taken over by piercing chatter and tattoos are a subsidiary interest, so I wouldn't imagine we'd really be competing anyway. Your idea sounds good. :yes:

big tramp stamp and a gemini ankle tat.
I have been thinking a lot about extending the one on my back so it curls around my hip but I know my boyfriend isn't a big fan of tattoos in general and it took him a while to get over the fact lol

What's the tramp stamp entail? Well, you've already got that tattoo now. If it's big already, then extending it a little won't make all the difference, surely?
Original post by zjs
What's the tramp stamp entail? Well, you've already got that tattoo now. If it's big already, then extending it a little won't make all the difference, surely?

A custom tribal design that non-tattoo people would appreciate as "moose antlers", but it's two designs overlaid. He doesn't like tattoos, and it took him a while to get over the fact that I have ink and piercings so I don't want to push him.
I'm hoping to get my first tattoo in July, if I don't chicken out. "Until the very end" on my foot. Still trying to find the font that I want at the moment though.
Reply 187
A custom tribal design that non-tattoo people would appreciate as "moose antlers", but it's two designs overlaid. He doesn't like tattoos, and it took him a while to get over the fact that I have ink and piercings so I don't want to push him.

I agree that you're probably best not to rush into having more designs added, and especially not without really consulting with him, but my point is this: you're a tattooed and pierced girl as it is. As you say, one of your designs is large. Sure, he had trouble coming to terms with it in the first place, but now he's accepted it. I don't see that a slight extension of a picture would really put him off and if he's accepted the tats, then he's accepted that they're also a part of you and your personality.
Original post by dobbys sock
I'm hoping to get my first tattoo in July, if I don't chicken out. "Until the very end" on my foot. Still trying to find the font that I want at the moment though.

Ooh that's soon :colone:

Would you get it at the top or foot or at the side? I was going to get mine going from my ankle to the side of my foot (kind of following the shoe-line, I guess) but the tattoo artist told me it would be a silly place to get it :colondollar:
Reply 189
Thought I'd post this up before I leave. Invited a fair amount of you already, and I'm sure some of you have already noticed, but...

Ooh that's soon :colone:

Would you get it at the top or foot or at the side? I was going to get mine going from my ankle to the side of my foot (kind of following the shoe-line, I guess) but the tattoo artist told me it would be a silly place to get it :colondollar:

I'm thinking at the top. Sort of starting at the base of my toes and curling round to go along the top of my foot or something. Still trying to work that out too. I've wanted it for a while now but I can't quite decide how exactly it's going to go.

I'm really hoping to get it done on the 21st :smile:
Some of the tattoos in this thread are so lovely, in particular the OP's bird tattoo and the Japanese sleeve with the koi. I've never really been a huge fan of images as tattoos - I've always preferred symbols, writing, etc. - but this thread has really opened my eyes to the depth of detail and shading that can be achieved.

Personally I really want the word 'one' on my wrist. Any ideas of the form it could take? I've always thought about a tattoo in Arabic but don't really like it for this. Japanese/Chinese is a bit clichéd. I like Latin, but 'one' in Latin is 'unus,' which could easily be misread....
Any tattoo artists PM me, I'd love to see your work and I want to have a design drawn up, because I can't draw to save my life :smile:
Reply 193
Original post by it'smelaura
Some of the tattoos in this thread are so lovely, in particular the OP's bird tattoo and the Japanese sleeve with the koi. I've never really been a huge fan of images as tattoos - I've always preferred symbols, writing, etc. - but this thread has really opened my eyes to the depth of detail and shading that can be achieved.

Personally I really want the word 'one' on my wrist. Any ideas of the form it could take? I've always thought about a tattoo in Arabic but don't really like it for this. Japanese/Chinese is a bit clichéd. I like Latin, but 'one' in Latin is 'unus,' which could easily be misread....

One in Latin can also be una or unum, mind.

My advice would always be to avoid getting a tattoo in a language you don't understand. If you're not entirely sure that the Arabic word one is spelled a certain way, then I'd avoid getting it. Although I'd agree that Chinese and Japanese characters are done to death, I'd say that Arabic's also heading the same way.

The Georgian word for the number one looks quite nice (have a look at this list to see the number one in a multitude of languages). Sanskrit looks good, too.
Reply 194
Thanks for the invite, gang ^.^
So I attempted taking a photo while I was cleaning my half sleeve earlier, but it turns out I'm not a great photographer and kept missing half of it :')

Will have to wait 'til cleaning it/re-wrapping it tonight to get my brother to take a photo :frown:
Original post by dobbys sock
I'm thinking at the top. Sort of starting at the base of my toes and curling round to go along the top of my foot or something. Still trying to work that out too. I've wanted it for a while now but I can't quite decide how exactly it's going to go.

I'm really hoping to get it done on the 21st :smile:

Ahh that sounds really nice, are there any photos similar to what you would like to get that you can show us? Or like a rough sketch? :colondollar: I'm intrigued.

(also LOL ate your username :lol:)

Original post by ironandwine
So I attempted taking a photo while I was cleaning my half sleeve earlier, but it turns out I'm not a great photographer and kept missing half of it :')

Will have to wait 'til cleaning it/re-wrapping it tonight to get my brother to take a photo :frown:

Haha my tattoo is on my back and I didn't have anyone around to take a picture of it for me, so after numerous attempts, I finally took a shot where you could see the whole thing... and yet the angle was still really bad :emo:
Story of my life :colondollar:
Original post by Hollypops
Thanks for the invite, gang ^.^

Oh my, we're a gang now :') Best thing I've heard all day! :teeth:
Oh my, we're a gang now :') Best thing I've heard all day! :teeth:

We should get badges :awesome:
Original post by psychocustard
We should get badges :awesome:

OMFG matching tattoos on our forearm :excited:

:erm:

:colondollar: