The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
My 'problem' is with sleeping... for a long time I'm ok but if something happens (such as the Japan earthquake, being shown a documentary of Chernobyl, a visit from the firemen at school) it leads me to get really bad anxiety at night. It feels like an absolute certainty that something horrible is going to happen (a fire, a nuclear disaster etc.) and feeling really uptight like someone could come up behind me at any minute, or lots of crying. Sometimes it gets really bad and I can't get to sleep until a 'safe' time, like when everyone else is getting up for school. Music often makes me feel more relaxed but I can't have anything plugged in at night because it makes me certain there'll be a fire and my family will die. Praying a certain number of times used to make me feel better too, but I'm an atheist now so that doesn't help.

I don't know if that sounds silly or not... I know it's not a proper anxiety thing, but I feel a lot better for having vented somewhere. I haven't ever talked about it. :/

It doesn't sound silly - but it is a proper anxiety thing. It actually sounds (from my non-expert point of view) like you could have the beginnings of OCD. The way you have to do 'safe' things and do things in certain ways could be a sign of that. I would strongly recommend you going to your doctor and telling them about it, because I think you could be greatly helped by therapy, and possibly medication.

The first step to getting better is talking about it.

:hugs: :smile:

Edit: In the short term, could a battery-powered radio or CD player work? Or might that also make you anxious?
Original post by dungeonkeepr
I'm off to Siberia later today. Haven't slept properly for a few days because loads of tiny things keep going wrong - like only getting my visa through late yesterday :redface: .
So yeah, I'm panicking about it, but really really deep down because I have to keep it together to get through the next bit. I'll probably fall apart a bit somewhere along the flight (wibble) all on my own, into an unknown country where I don't speak the language.

Been dealing with the whole thing by doing all the tiny tasks up to it and all the stuff for when I get back. Actually thinking about it is just terrifying. :frown:

(having suddenly appeared on the thread a couple days ago, I may now disappear, as I have no idea what the internet will be like out there:frown: )

Wow good luck! :woo:
It's totally understandable for you to be a bit jumpy and anxious for a few days leading up to something big like that - I'd be surprised if you weren't! :tongue:

It's so brave of you to completely dive in at the deep end like that, I could never do that, so I admire you :yep:

Good luck with it all, it will be amazing, and tell us all about it (if they have internet :tongue: )

:hugs:
Original post by Anonymous
My 'problem' is with sleeping... for a long time I'm ok but if something happens (such as the Japan earthquake, being shown a documentary of Chernobyl, a visit from the firemen at school) it leads me to get really bad anxiety at night. It feels like an absolute certainty that something horrible is going to happen (a fire, a nuclear disaster etc.) and feeling really uptight like someone could come up behind me at any minute, or lots of crying. Sometimes it gets really bad and I can't get to sleep until a 'safe' time, like when everyone else is getting up for school. Music often makes me feel more relaxed but I can't have anything plugged in at night because it makes me certain there'll be a fire and my family will die. Praying a certain number of times used to make me feel better too, but I'm an atheist now so that doesn't help.

I don't know if that sounds silly or not... I know it's not a proper anxiety thing, but I feel a lot better for having vented somewhere. I haven't ever talked about it. :/

I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes I become completely terrified something terrible will happen especially during times like the Japanese earthquake I just kept thinking that could of been me!

But at the end of the day I had to realise it wasn't me and I had to be thankful for that as harsh as that sounds. Because if it was me would I want someone else worrying that it could of been them? Absolutely not!

I had to run back home yesterday in case I left the oven on (I didn't) the worst thing is we have an electric oven so the likelihood of it going up in flames is very low.
Original post by dungeonkeepr
I'm off to Siberia later today. Haven't slept properly for a few days because loads of tiny things keep going wrong - like only getting my visa through late yesterday :redface: .
So yeah, I'm panicking about it, but really really deep down because I have to keep it together to get through the next bit. I'll probably fall apart a bit somewhere along the flight (wibble) all on my own, into an unknown country where I don't speak the language.

Been dealing with the whole thing by doing all the tiny tasks up to it and all the stuff for when I get back. Actually thinking about it is just terrifying. :frown:

(having suddenly appeared on the thread a couple days ago, I may now disappear, as I have no idea what the internet will be like out there:frown: )

A holiday wouldn't be a holiday if something doesn't go wrong beforehand but things always work themselves out in the end.

Can you ring your airline and explain you have a major fear of flying (sometimes they bump you up to first class if do that)?:tongue: The cabin crew are trained in dealing with nervous flyers and have seen it all before so don't be too scared to admit your scared.

Most importantly have a lovely time!
I have to go to the dentist tomorrow.:frown:

I'm not usually scared of the dentist but mines so crap and I have to get my filling redone.
Original post by Beebumble
I have to go to the dentist tomorrow.:frown:

I'm not usually scared of the dentist but mines so crap and I have to get my filling redone.

Aww that's horrible. Good luck :smile:

I just came back from an appointment with my orthodontist to tighten my brace, so cue two days of agony :frown:
I'm worrying over my choice of modules now. There a Russian culture one that looks amazing but I don't like the assessment, and there's another one about Russian history that looks less amazing, but I'm familiar with the assessment and I do pretty well, generally. I've also discovered that there was a Business Arabic module I planned on doing in the first semester so my year would be all balanced, and they seem to have changed it to 2nd semester, which would put more work and more pressure on me at the end of the year. I could pick an even less interesting Arabic cinema one instead, but I'm a bit upset about that. The Arabic department is so useless…
Well I saw my doctor today, told him everything..

He's prescribed some Citalopram which seem to just be general antidepressants, and I'm seeing a counsellor there in 3 weeks....
Original post by Anatheme
I'm worrying over my choice of modules now. There a Russian culture one that looks amazing but I don't like the assessment, and there's another one about Russian history that looks less amazing, but I'm familiar with the assessment and I do pretty well, generally. I've also discovered that there was a Business Arabic module I planned on doing in the first semester so my year would be all balanced, and they seem to have changed it to 2nd semester, which would put more work and more pressure on me at the end of the year. I could pick an even less interesting Arabic cinema one instead, but I'm a bit upset about that. The Arabic department is so useless…

Whoah they all sound a bit over my head, afraid I can't really offer much in the way of advice, sorry. But good luck with the decision, I'm sure you will make the right one :smile:

Reply 389
I know I haven't posted in this thread (lurker :colondollar:), but thanks to this thread i've decided to go and see my doctor ASAP.

I've had anxiety problems my whole life, and its time I did something about it.

Its held me back in so many ways and i've had enough!
Original post by cdsmith1990

He's prescribed some Citalopram which seem to just be general antidepressants, and I'm seeing a counsellor there in 3 weeks....

That's great, good for you for going :biggrin:

Citalopram is the same antidepressant my dad is on at the moment, and it is working well for him (although everyone works differently), so hopefully you will see some improvement. And good luck with the counsellor too.

:smile: :hugs:
Original post by slamcat
I know I haven't posted in this thread (lurker :colondollar:), but thanks to this thread i've decided to go and see my doctor ASAP.

Good for you! So glad we helped :biggrin:

Want to tell us a bit more about yourself? (no pressure)

Original post by Amwazicles
Whoah they all sound a bit over my head, afraid I can't really offer much in the way of advice, sorry. But good luck with the decision, I'm sure you will make the right one :smile:

It was more of a rant, really :p:. Anything related to my degree just makes my anxiety levels rise and instead of chilling out I just can't stay away from the laptop and check that everything is perfectly as I want it to be. I just decided I would try not to look at anything until next week, when they're meant to have sorted everything out.

My friends on Citalopram for her anxiety she says they're a god send.
That's great you get to see a counselor so quickly!

Well done!:hugs:
Original post by Anatheme
It was more of a rant, really :p:. Anything related to my degree just makes my anxiety levels rise and instead of chilling out I just can't stay away from the laptop and check that everything is perfectly as I want it to be. I just decided I would try not to look at anything until next week, when they're meant to have sorted everything out.

That's OK, feel free to rant all you want :tongue:

Original post by slamcat

Awww that's great.
Your post has made me smile.:smile:
Thanks guys :smile:

Well that's reassuring at least.. I wasn't so convinced with them initially, but I'll see how they go (they take about 2 weeks to start working properly).

And yeah, it's like a general care person at my doctors practice, which is definitely a start.
Reply 397
Original post by Amwazicles
Good for you! So glad we helped :biggrin:

Want to tell us a bit more about yourself? (no pressure)

thanks! :biggrin:

I don't even know where to begin with my issues!

The main problem at the minute is that i'm on the verge of losing my job over the fact I can barely speak to the customers. I can do the 'Hello, do you need any help?' basics but my manager expects full blown conversations that I just can't do! I have no Idea where to begin, my mind goes completely blank and it doesn't help that its a baby shop and I have ZERO experience with kids!
The fact i'm utterly terrified of the telephone (which i'm expected to use daily) doesn't help either :frown:

Im also due to start university, this is my second attempt after I pulled out last year (2 days before moving day) due to a HUGE panic attack. I'm terrified that history will repeat itself and that I will never go to uni!

The worst part of it all is that I have never really talked to anyone about it! I can barely even talk to my mum about it, who knows about my anxiety but has no idea how badly it affects me.

This is going to be hard :frown:
Original post by slamcat
thanks! :biggrin:

I don't even know where to begin with my issues!

The main problem at the minute is that i'm on the verge of losing my job over the fact I can barely speak to the customers. I can do the 'Hello, do you need any help?' basics but my manager expects full blown conversations that I just can't do! I have no Idea where to begin, my mind goes completely blank and it doesn't help that its a baby shop and I have ZERO experience with kids!
The fact i'm utterly terrified of the telephone (which i'm expected to use daily) doesn't help either :frown:

Im also due to start university, this is my second attempt after I pulled out last year (2 days before moving day) due to a HUGE panic attack. I'm terrified that history will repeat itself and that I will never go to uni!

The worst part of it all is that I have never really talked to anyone about it! I can barely even talk to my mum about it, who knows about my anxiety but has no idea how badly it affects me.

This is going to be hard :frown:

That sounds hard :sad:

It's good that you're starting to talk about it though, and I definitely think you should try talking to your mum about it a bit more. She will want to help, but she can only help if she knows what's going on with you :smile: Also, you could try talking to your closest friends about it too, not necessarily in detail but just let them know you're having a tough time and they will be understanding too.

Thanks guys :smile:

Well that's reassuring at least.. I wasn't so convinced with them initially, but I'll see how they go (they take about 2 weeks to start working properly).

And yeah, it's like a general care person at my doctors practice, which is definitely a start.

:smile: My dad started to notice changes after about 2 weeks too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest