The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amwazicles
Wow, I can relate to everything you've said in your post! It feels nice to know there are other people out there - I've never met another emetophobe in real life.

I can remember very vividly all the times I have been sick, and all the times anyone in my close family or near to me phsyically (eg in school has been sick. The foods they ate are sometimes affected in my eyes, but sometimes not... don't really know why.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have also made some great progress with my therapist - that's great to hear you have, too :biggrin: And it doesn't sound like you're a control freak, but have a perfectly common (not unimportant) fear of control.

I haven't had any bad panic attacks in a few months now, which is good for me, although I am still often not getting to sleep until very late (2,3 o clock). I am sort of afraid of going to sleep, as another part of the fear of control. I am scared of having dreams because I don't like the way I can't tell whether it's real or not (the ultimate not being in control I guess).

I also feel similar to you about driving - although I am usually OK with someone I know driving me (eg a parent/family), I often get really anxious on buses with 'unknown' drivers.

I also know what you mean about emotionally drained. For me, it almost feels like 'emtionally washed', you know, all flushed out so you've got room for the new stuff this week. That sounds wierd, I know :colondollar:

Glad to hear you've had some improvements :smile:

I know two other emetophobes in real life, but we rarely talk about it because it would just end up with us being worked up, I think!

Once I saw a little child throwing up when I was 11 and I had nightmares of it for a few nights without being able to stop it. It was so horrifying and I still remember every little detail of it. Grrrr! :frown:

I get what you meant about sometimes being affected by the food and sometimes not. I can still eat kebabs, I will just refrain from the cheap ones! However, I can't eat one of my favourite meals anymore since last year. :s-smilie: Ah well, there's still lots of food out there.

The fear of going to sleep sounds similar too! But less because of the dreams but more because of possible bodily reactions. I needed to take some precautions before going to bed in order to be able to sleep with the least amount of worry, but I have also overcome them for the most part. :smile:

Glad you made some progress too! It's always good to hear and it gives people hope. :smile:
Perhaps our mind possibly thought throwing up was a very traumatic experience when we were young? :dontknow: But it must be something.
Original post by BeyondandAbove
I know two other emetophobes in real life, but we rarely talk about it because it would just end up with us being worked up, I think!

Once I saw a little child throwing up when I was 11 and I had nightmares of it for a few nights without being able to stop it. It was so horrifying and I still remember every little detail of it. Grrrr! :frown:

I get what you meant about sometimes being affected by the food and sometimes not. I can still eat kebabs, I will just refrain from the cheap ones! However, I can't eat one of my favourite meals anymore since last year. :s-smilie: Ah well, there's still lots of food out there.

The fear of going to sleep sounds similar too! But less because of the dreams but more because of possible bodily reactions. I needed to take some precautions before going to bed in order to be able to sleep with the least amount of worry, but I have also overcome them for the most part. :smile:

Glad you made some progress too! It's always good to hear and it gives people hope. :smile:
Perhaps our mind possibly thought throwing up was a very traumatic experience when we were young? :dontknow: But it must be something.

I see what you mean about talking about it in real life. When I'n having a 'bad day', I probably wouldn't even want to talk about it on here.

A few years ago, when things with my anxiety were really bad, I think I had a few dreams about being sick - me, other people and so on, although I haven't actually had any recently.

Still lots of food indeed :wink: Although I feel more comfortable having a fairly 'small' diet anyway so that's OK for me.

Also about going to sleep I sort of worry that I will wake up in the night and be 'about to be sick', so I would rather force myself to stay awake and at least be able to 'prepare' (even though it's actually never happened to me), rather than go to sleep and then wake up and suddenly I'm going to be sick. I often force myself to stay awake until I feel hungry again, because hunger is like a sign that I am 'safe' - if I had eaten something that was going to make me sick, I wouldn't then be hungry.

I have thought about the possible 'origins' a lot, and I'm pretty certain that I never had anything like one traumatic experience of being really ill or anything like that. I remember with mine, it started off as a slightly more mild fear, and gradually got worse and worse until the full-blown phobia it is today. I sometimes wonder if I had been sick at some point when it didn't worry me as much as it does now, maybe I would have been 'cured' and it never got this bad. But I'll never know... :confused:

I think with mine, it is not actually about being sick - from my therapy, I think it is more like for a few different reasons I have lots of anxiety inside me, and for whatever reason, that anxiety 'attached' to fears of death, control and being sick. I wonder if that could apply to you too?

:smile:
It does seem odd that they don't want you to have the key a bit earlier, but maybe there is some reason behind it that you don't know..

It doesn't seem silly if it's making you anxious - it doesn't matter why, what matters is the anxiety itself. I guess you've already told yourself that once you've made the phonecall, you won't be as anxious so it's better to get it over with...

Good luck and let us know how it goes if you like :smile:

Apparently, it's because they needed to do some cleaning in the morning, haha. My friend said that for €40 more, I could have it for 8am, and they will still organise transport for my parents, so that's me sorted, hopefully!
Original post by Anatheme
Apparently, it's because they needed to do some cleaning in the morning, haha. My friend said that for €40 more, I could have it for 8am, and they will still organise transport for my parents, so that's me sorted, hopefully!

Good good :smile:

Maybe we could all set ourselves goals for this summer, so that by the end we are less anxious people :smile:
Original post by Ratiocinator
Maybe we could all set ourselves goals for this summer, so that by the end we are less anxious people :smile:

I tend to get anxious because I may not achieve my goals, this will probably have the opposite effect on me :erm:
I tend to get anxious because I may not achieve my goals, this will probably have the opposite effect on me :erm:

True. Some anxiety targets are probably easier to quantify.

That's a good idea :rolleyes: But a bit hard to set 'tangible' or quantifiable goals for something like anxiety... Any suggestions?

I guess you could set a goal to not have any goals? Or a target that you don't reach a goal but still *cope* ? Everyone works differently I suppose...

True. Some anxiety targets are probably easier to quantify.

What kinds of target could we use that would be quantifiable? Hmmm...
That's a good idea :rolleyes: But a bit hard to set 'tangible' or quantifiable goals for something like anxiety... Any suggestions?

Maybe I was thinking in my own example too much. For me it would reducing the amount of handwash I used, and trying to talk to more people. CBT relies on achieving goals in small steps. Some goals are pretty intangible, but progress is normally recognisable
Maybe I was thinking in my own example too much. For me it would reducing the amount of handwash I used, and trying to talk to more people. CBT relies on achieving goals in small steps. Some goals are pretty intangible, but progress is normally recognisable

Yeah that's true. Well maybe we can just have a vague goal of 'progress' or 'improvement'. That way, there's no need to get stressed about failing at something quantifiable, but we can still keep our thread posted on how we are all doing and so on. :smile:
Or we could have a combination of both - for example you could set a specific target if that felt relevant to you, but otherwise we can all just aim for general progress.

I guess you could set a goal to not have any goals? Or a target that you don't reach a goal but still *cope* ? Everyone works differently I suppose...

Mmh, the problem is if I don't set myself any goal, then I won't do anything at all, therefore I won't work, and currently, as all I'm focusing on is getting a 2:1, I'd probably end up failing. And I don't even want to think about that, haha. I'm just trying to reduce my procrastination by breaking down everything I need to do in easier tasks. It works and ticking each of the case for which I've done something is really rewarding, however small it is.
Mmh, the problem is if I don't set myself any goal, then I won't do anything at all, therefore I won't work, and currently, as all I'm focusing on is getting a 2:1, I'd probably end up failing. And I don't even want to think about that, haha. I'm just trying to reduce my procrastination by breaking down everything I need to do in easier tasks. It works and ticking each of the case for which I've done something is really rewarding, however small it is.

Your goal is to not be a neurotic perfectionist. You can be a perfectionist, but keep it within limits.
Your goal is to not be a neurotic perfectionist. You can be a perfectionist, but keep it within limits.

I guess you want to find a target that is both achievable, tickoff-able but not too big a deal that it will stress you out if it doesn't go well. I don't know you well enough to suggest one for you, but an example could be Ratiocinator's using less handwash.

Can you think of anything?

I guess you want to find a target that is both achievable, tickoff-able but not too big a deal that it will stress you out if it doesn't go well. I don't know you well enough to suggest one for you, but an example could be Ratiocinator's using less handwash.

Sorry, this is a digression :colondollar:. What is an Amwazicle?
Sorry, this is a digression :colondollar:. What is an Amwazicle?

Haha. OK here's the story, but you have to explain yours in return:
My real name is Amy... My brother started calling me Amoi (pronounced Ey-mwa), which then morphed to Amwaz (ey-mwaz), and so Amwazicles seemed a natural progression to use for my nickname. :smile:

And you??
Haha. OK here's the story, but you have to explain yours in return:
My real name is Amy... My brother started calling me Amoi (pronounced Ey-mwa), which then morphed to Amwaz (ey-mwaz), and so Amwazicles seemed a natural progression to use for my nickname. :smile:

And you??

Well most of the good usernames on here were taken, so I went for a rather unusual name because I love words. Ratiocinator means "someone who reasons methodically" which is not always an accurate description of myself, I just liked the word :smile:. My real initials are HM, maybe one day I will reveal my name :awesome:
Well most of the good usernames on here were taken, so I went for a rather unusual name because I love words. Ratiocinator means "someone who reasons methodically" which is not always an accurate description of myself, I just liked the word :smile:. My real initials are HM, maybe one day I will reveal my name :awesome:

Aha, it's a very interesting word. :smile:

Those initials sound intriguing.......

Edit: 7 Pages!!!
Hello, just found this thread.

I was prescribed Cipralex for my anxiety a few weeks ago. I have been to CBT which didn't really work TBH.

The thing is I know I am one, but I don't even go for impossible stuff, or I don't feel I do. The only really worrying goal I have at the moment is, as I mentionned before, getting a 2:1 at uni. It's no really because I want the good grade, but because without a 2:1, I can't get into masters, and therefore would not be able to get the job I'm kind of aiming for. So yeah, I do put a lot of pressure on myself for this, but at the end of the day, I feel like it's the minimum I should be doing if I want a decent life.

That's why I make lists of stuff and break everything down in smaller bits easier to deal with. It keeps me motivated and focused to do what I need to do, and because I like ticking stuff off lists, I like to keep going once I've started, so I can tick off more things :teeth:. My goals for this summer are just to go through all the stuff I've already studied to make sure I know it, and learn more vocabulary. I will try not to set myself too much to do, otherwise I'll just end up doing nothing, haha. I keep getting a 2:1 in mind, but I prefer to focus on the process, as studies have shown that people do better when they focus on what's needed to win, instead of just imagining themselves winning. So I try to remind myself that everything I do, no matter how small it is, helps towards the final goal, and I try to do a bit every day, instead of leaving everything to the last minute.

That's for the academic side, regarding my life in general, I don't really know what I can do, because "stopping to shake when answering the phone" is a bit more difficult, haha, nor do I even know if there's a reason for me to act like that. I guess I'm a bit of a control freak as well as being a neurotic perfectionist. God, what am I going to do with my life. :holmes:

Quick Reply

Latest