The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Timetable for year 4,5, and 6

Hi everyone

Would really appreciate it if someone could help me out, I just finished BSc year at UCL medicine and am looking for anyone who can provide the timetables for years 4,5 and 6 at UCL medicine - what are the hours etc? How much work is it? The reason I ask is I have been running my own business for several years, during first year medicine I managed to do three weeks revision the entire year with no lectures and focused on my business all year, im guessing i wont be able to do this in clinics again....ha.... I divided up my time in second year and BSc year and it worked fine, now I am hoping to plan my time and assess whether the last few years requires more organisation than the first three, if anyone could help me out I would appreciate it! Additionally is it compulsory to attend clinics, as I learn so much better at home rather than lectures, that was my mode of learning for year 1, 2 and partly for BSc.

Thanks
There's no fixed timetable as you're attached to clinical firms and change round every month or so as you rotate through the specialties. You'll be expected to turn up 9-5 (or 8-5 when on surgical firms) Mon-Fri with the odd weekend and night shift thrown in. During that time you'll spend it either in outpatients, theatre, or on the ward clerking patients/shadowing the juniors. You'll also usually have some scheduled teaching usually through lunch-times. Wednesday afternoons remain free for sports.

While it is possible to turn up less (i.e. you'll get away with a fair few half-days) if you aren't seen around enough, you won't get signed off by your supervising consultant, and if you aren't signed off each firm you're not allowed to sit the exams and thus fail the year.

Being a clinical student is a full-time job. Any less and you will struggle to get through. You need to decide on your priorities and either commit to your medical training or your business. It's all well and good learning the pathology from a book, but unless you put the time in on the wards you will have no idea how to deal with patients, practical procedures, the subtleties of clinical examination, and the important bits that you'll need in order to be a safe house officer.
Reply 2
Thanks Spencer,

I was thinking to balance things out i would go on the wards during this summer everyday between 9-1 aswell, so that I have a bit of a head start when I go back to do fourth year, and thus am well equipped for the wards and subsequent exams, whilst at the same time being able to get away with half days so that I have time for business throughout the year. Do you think that this four months on the ward will make a large difference in terms of revision and equipping me for the exams?
Also how is the signing off procedure done, i have heard that sometimes the people responsible for signing off are so busy that they do not even realise you were there or not!
I was also wondering , would you deem clinics and the examinations harder than the second year of medicine at ucl?

Thanks so much
Reply 3
also after 5pm is there alot of revision that needs to be done? thanks
Reply 4
Not UCL-specific advice, but you probably won't be able to devote anywhere near as much time to your business as you have done in the past. Your firm will probably expect you to be there 8/9-5 at least to sign you off.
Also, clinical years are all about exposure to patients. The more you see and interact with, the better it will be for you in terms of learning for exams - both theoretical and especially clinical. And you most certainly will find it challenging if you get to F1 without having put in enough hours on the wards.

As a clinical student you'll probably have just evenings and weekends available to spend on your business, rather than full weeks.
(edited 12 years ago)
i can see why you can just do your business and revise for the exams for pre clinical and science degrees, but clinical medicine is basically an apprenticeship than a degree. The whole point is to practice practice , be exposed over and over again and you cannot do this at home, no matter how much studying you do, how are you gonna learn to do a vaginal examination? Also, there are many clinics to attend and ward rounds and such, which requires a level of professionalism you can get away with not having in pre clinical. If you miss too much you will be called upon to explain yourself, and your exucse is not good enough and you may fail on professional behaviour.

As someone has already said, you need to work out what you really want
Original post by katieleren
Thanks Spencer,

I was thinking to balance things out i would go on the wards during this summer everyday between 9-1 aswell, so that I have a bit of a head start when I go back to do fourth year, and thus am well equipped for the wards and subsequent exams, whilst at the same time being able to get away with half days so that I have time for business throughout the year. Do you think that this four months on the ward will make a large difference in terms of revision and equipping me for the exams?
Also how is the signing off procedure done, i have heard that sometimes the people responsible for signing off are so busy that they do not even realise you were there or not!
I was also wondering , would you deem clinics and the examinations harder than the second year of medicine at ucl?

Thanks so much

who do you have to supervise you on the wards?
Reply 7
I think you need to consider your plans carefully. Like Spencer, I'm a UCL grad and I'll give you some of my thoughts and experiences.

Clinical medicine isn't one of those cut and dried things where you can think, "I'll devote x amount of time here, and then deal with my other priorities afterwards," it's really one of those things which you need to devote time and flexibility to - anything can happen, opportunities can crop up at unexpected times and the only way you're going to get a lot out of it is to be on the wards.

People are unpredictable - I once arranged to have dinner in the centre of town with a friend, and I had a late afternoon ward round. As time approached for me to leave, we went to see a patient who was experiencing a manic episode at the time. They talked non-stop for an hour and a half. I arrived an hour late for supper, my friend (also a medic) understood, but it's just one of those things. You may be just about to finish and an opportunity arises to work on your clinical skills, or a baby is about to be born etc. sure you can read books, try to see patients in an arbitrary time period, but people just don't work like that, sometimes patients don't want to see you, or there aren't many available to clerk, or you have teaching - that's just the nature of the beast and I think you'd be doing a disservice to yourself to try and box everything up neatly to make things manageable, it just doesn't work like that.

Yes, consultants may not be around all the time, but they're not stupid, and sometimes you may have to spend an afternoon in theatre with them just to be 'seen' or they rely a lot on hearing from other staff members to let them know who has been showing up or not.

As Spencer said, you pick up on so many subtle things that just aren't covered in the books or learned by yourself - a reg may give you a hint to improve your clinical examination, or colleagues can give useful feedback - so I'd advise caution on spending additional time before term starts, because you may not be exposed to that, and examiners can tell who are the students who spent time on the wards with patients as opposed to those who just showed up at the last minute.

I'm not saying neglect your business entirely, I really admire the fact that you've set one up, but I think you need to think about how you can manage it around clinical medicine and not the other way round.
Reply 8
Original post by Jamie
who do you have to supervise you on the wards?

What do you mean?

we have firms etc - much like how clinical medicine everywhere else is, no?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Wangers
What do you mean?

Yes, but she's proposing going into hospital over the holidays and seemingly just "hanging out" on wards, with the aim that this will mean she can take time off for her business once "proper" clinicals start. I'm guessing that there wouldn't be any formal supervision in that setting, which would render the experience pretty useless.
Reply 10
Original post by Helenia
Yes, but she's proposing going into hospital over the holidays and seemingly just "hanging out" on wards, with the aim that this will mean she can take time off for her business once "proper" clinicals start. I'm guessing that there wouldn't be any formal supervision in that setting, which would render the experience pretty useless.

Well in terms of formal supervision, it depends largely on the consultant as to how he runs the firm. We tend to have alot of consultant and reg teaching laid on in small group - 2-4 tutorial format a couple of sessions a week (this depends on rotation, firm and consultant), and then there is clinics which you go to. Admittedly, the clinics are varible depending on who is running it, but they are student friendly and will teach between patients. Usually they explain things to the patient with some hints dropped in so that if you pay attention you pick things up. Other times when there is no teaching specifically laid on then you're expected to clerk/see patients (I say that because obviously sometimes you go for a flying visite to see a certain sign if they're not up for the full clerking). I thought thats how clincal medicine runs. At the momment for example I'm on haem/oncology, and our patients are quite ill, so if there is a lull where there are no appropriate patients, I tend to to down to AAU/A+E....In terms of skiving, you could probably get away with a fair bit - it depends whether you want to pass exams or become a better doctor. All the clinical placements are in teaching hospitals and have been for ages, all the doctors, when they can are teaching friendly. In terms of formal supervision, no there is no-one watching you all the time, but you do get alot of contanct - and some rotations will assign you a tutor for weekly tutorials 1-1 to talk things over/present cases, so yes you could escape, but you'd be spotted. Besides, the opportunity is what you make of it really.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Wangers
Well in terms of formal supervision, it depends largely on the consultant as to how he runs the firm. We tend to have alot of consultant and reg teaching laid on in small group - 2-4 tutorial format a couple of sessions a week (this depends on rotation, firm and consultant), and then there is clinics which you go to. Admittedly, the clinics are varible depending on who is running it, but they are student friendly and will teach between patients. Usually they explain things to the patient with some hints dropped in so that if you pay attention you pick things up. Other times when there is no teaching specifically laid on then you're expected to clerk/see patients (I say that because obviously sometimes you go for a flying visite to see a certain sign if they're not up for the full clerking). I thought thats how clincal medicine runs. At the momment for example I'm on haem/oncology, and our patients are quite ill, so if there is a lull where there are no appropriate patients, I tend to to down to AAU/A+E....In terms of skiving, you could probably get away with a fair bit - it depends whether you want to pass exams or become a better doctor. All the clinical placements are in teaching hospitals and have been for ages, all the doctors, when they can are teaching friendly. In terms of formal supervision, no there is no-one watching you all the time, but you do get alot of contanct - and some rotations will assign you a tutor for weekly tutorials 1-1 to talk things over/present cases, so yes you could escape, but you'd be spotted. Besides, the opportunity is what you make of it really.

I'm not arguing any of that. :confused:

What I was saying is that she's unlikely to get much of a "head start" if she just tries to go and hang out on various wards over the holidays without having a proper "firm" arrangement. Certainly not enough to be able to miss out on real placements.
Original post by Wangers
What do you mean?

Helena seems to have grasped what I was getting at.

Until I got dragged into sorting it myself I failed to recognise just how much goes into organising med student placements and the question of the responsible consultant.

You cannot simply wander into a hospital and attach yourself to a team - med student or not.
It has to be organised to some degree. CRB checks, confidentiality agreements, responsible clinician etc. All have to be done and go through the proper channels.

For most students that is all done for you automatically.
But if you are trying to do extra time off your own back during a time when there are no other students in the hospital then it requires you to sort it out yourself.
Reply 13
Original post by Jamie
Helena seems to have grasped what I was getting at.

Until I got dragged into sorting it myself I failed to recognise just how much goes into organising med student placements and the question of the responsible consultant.

You cannot simply wander into a hospital and attach yourself to a team - med student or not.
It has to be organised to some degree. CRB checks, confidentiality agreements, responsible clinician etc. All have to be done and go through the proper channels.

For most students that is all done for you automatically.
But if you are trying to do extra time off your own back during a time when there are no other students in the hospital then it requires you to sort it out yourself.

Ahh I see, sorry I missed your point.

Students often do pitch up at weekends though, especially approaching exams, or just topping up for interest - because those are the times when there are not many people around...I've not heard of it being a problem, in fact it#s positively encouraged by those of the old school. This is in term time though.
Reply 14
Original post by Wangers
Ahh I see, sorry I missed your point.

Students often do pitch up at weekends though, especially approaching exams, or just topping up for interest - because those are the times when there are not many people around...I've not heard of it being a problem, in fact it#s positively encouraged by those of the old school. This is in term time though.

Doing this for practice once you've been in clinicals for a while is a different thing from trying to get a head start before you've even had any kind of formal induction though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending