The Student Room Group

Understanding a degree apprenticeship

I am 20 years old and I am taking a Level 2 apprenticeship for 18 months for IT and gain Maths.

I want to work my way there to a degree apprenticeship at University

I want to properly understand what a degree apprenticeship gives me in the future

Would I be taking all Level 4,5 and 6 for 3-5 years or I can go straight to a degree after finishing Level 3 apprenticeship?
Reply 1
Original post by HRahman2003
I am 20 years old and I am taking a Level 2 apprenticeship for 18 months for IT and gain Maths.

I want to properly understand what a degree apprenticeship gives me in the future

Would I be taking all Level 4,5 and 6 for 3-5 years or I can go straight to a degree after finishing Level 3 apprenticeship?

if you have Level 3 qualifications like A-Levels/Btecs, then yep you'll be eligible to apply and do level 6 apprenticeships - just like you need A-Levels/Btecs for university, it's the same requirements for a Level 6 Degree Apprenticeship. You'll also most likely need a Level 2 Maths and English at a passing grade or above.
Reply 2

I started a level 2 apprenticeship at 19 and worked my way up to completing a level 6.

There is no level 5, level 5 training requirements are included in the level 4 and 6 apprenticeship study. Also, the key skills (Math/IT/English) requirements are the same for all apprenticeships. If you do a level 2, they’ll get you to sit them as part of your training and you won’t have to do it again.

You can skip to level 6 after a level 3, but here are the options:

Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship
Advantages:
•You study the equivalent of the first 2 years of your bachelors degree and obtain a HNC & HND or a foundation degree.
You could possibly change your degree for your level 6 top-up e.g., mechanical to manufacturing engineering.
Disadvantages:
If you haven’t got a solid commitment from your Level 4 employer to do the 2-year top up, you may struggle to find an alternative
employer for this.
You may need to change “university” to study the level 6 top up and be introduced to new subjects without the introductory taught modules.
If you fall behind on your apprenticeship competency portfolio, or if your EPA assessment is delayed, you may need to have a 1 year gap between your level 4 and level 6 top-up to secure your level 4 qualifications.

Level 6 Degree Apprenticeship.
Advantages:
•You have a contract that secures your training to level 6 with a bachelors degree.
Disadvantages:
•You won’t receive a qualification after third year.
You can’t choose to have a study break without extenuating circumstances. You need to complete the full apprenticeship.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Chris2892

I started a level 2 apprenticeship at 19 and worked my way up to completing a level 6.

There is no level 5, level 5 training requirements are included in the level 4 and 6 apprenticeship study. Also, the key skills (Math/IT/English) requirements are the same for all apprenticeships. If you do a level 2, they’ll get you to sit them as part of your training and you won’t have to do it again.

You can skip to level 6 after a level 3, but here are the options:

Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship
Advantages:
•You study the equivalent of the first 2 years of your bachelors degree and obtain a HNC & HND or a foundation degree.
You could possibly change your degree for your level 6 top-up e.g., mechanical to manufacturing engineering.
Disadvantages:
If you haven’t got a solid commitment from your Level 4 employer to do the 2-year top up, you may struggle to find an alternative
employer for this.
You may need to change “university” to study the level 6 top up and be introduced to new subjects without the introductory taught modules.
If you fall behind on your apprenticeship competency portfolio, or if your EPA assessment is delayed, you may need to have a 1 year gap between your level 4 and level 6 top-up to secure your level 4 qualifications.

Level 6 Degree Apprenticeship.
Advantages:
•You have a contract that secures your training to level 6 with a bachelors degree.
Disadvantages:
•You won’t receive a qualification after third year.
You can’t choose to have a study break without extenuating circumstances. You need to complete the full apprenticeship.

Thank you for the information!

I am going to be really honest to myself, I was overthinking a lot about starting things at level 2 at this age and think how long I need to get my degree
Reply 4
Original post by duduudud

if you have Level 3 qualifications like A-Levels/Btecs, then yep you'll be eligible to apply and do level 6 apprenticeships - just like you need A-Levels/Btecs for university, it's the same requirements for a Level 6 Degree Apprenticeship. You'll also most likely need a Level 2 Maths and English at a passing grade or above.

Oh okkk

Thank you for the information

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending