The Student Room Group

amount of contact hours (lectures, tutorials...)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sundogs

UCL
English
1st year
8-9 (4 hours of lectures, 4 hours of seminars and a one hour tutorial once a fortnight)

I would be very disappointed with 8.5 hours each week, but I suppose the UCL degree is worth the £3300

So far most people have said that around 15 hours is average (excluding the medical/science/engineering degrees).
But there are still many courses with barely 10 hours contact time each week.
How can that be worth £3300

What we are essentially paying for is the qualification and the experience.
If it wasn't for the recognised and respected qualification we would all seriously question whether what we are paying is good value.
Reply 41
Original post by Thomas.flipper
I would be very disappointed with 8.5 hours each week, but I suppose the UCL degree is worth the £3300

So far most people have said that around 15 hours is average (excluding the medical/science/engineering degrees).
But there are still many courses with barely 10 hours contact time each week.
How can that be worth £3300

What we are essentially paying for is the qualification and the experience.
If it wasn't for the recognised and respected qualification we would all seriously question whether what we are paying is good value.

it is an English degree and the one on one tutorial is hugely underrated at UCL.

I agree it isn't that much but that's only in terms of teaching time, i think its generally v. good value for money given how much I get through.
-What Uni they are at Royal Veterinary College/University of London
-What type of course they are studying Veterinary Medicine
-What year of study they are in 1st year (which is actually a 2in1 year, so first and second years in one)
-amount of COMPULSORY contact hours tutorials, about 2 hours a term. lectures, variable, probably about 18-25hrs ish, on average about 1 to 2 hrs of lab work a week and dissections (about 4hrs ish). Varies though - some weeks might have been less lectures, but then 10 hours of dissection.
(broken down into proportion lectures/tutorials/etc...)
-amount of non-compulsory contact hours we were told that for every hour of lecture time we should be doing at least an hour on our own.
Reply 43
if you do chemical engineering could you please post your times
Original post by Tommyjw
Justa note.. in a lot of subjects contact hours mean nothing but out-of-lecture reading is where you will do most of your work. So judging 'what are you getting for what you pay' based on contact hours is a bit silly imo.

I agree with this. I mean I have also got access to the library (with fantastic opening hours and 24 hours during exam period) which has more books than I'll ever need with everything from grammar, culture and history to hard-core literature, we're also putting towards our tutor's office hours, and for language students in particular, we also have a room for international tv, foreign language magazines and books available in the social space, access to foreign language films and early-reader books from the languages help desk, and then of course 24 hour access to the computer labs which has good language lab stuff installed. All of which, I wouldn't have access to without uni (I would say with the exception of films and books, but let's face it, they have more than what I could ever afford!)

I actually have 8 hours a week in total; 1 language lab per language, 1 grammar class per language, 1 literature class for german and 1 summarising class for french. Then I have 1 lecture and the follow up class for my random module. It's plenty tbf, because there's only so much they can teach you in class anyway before you have to go away and learn it yourself.
Reply 45
Original post by SpiritedAway

I actually have 8 hours a week in total; 1 language lab per language, 1 grammar class per language, 1 literature class for german and 1 summarising class for french.

So you study 3 languages? 0.0
Seems like hard work xD
Original post by Tommyjw
So you study 3 languages? 0.0
Seems like hard work xD

No, 2 languages. French and German, and then a random outside module :smile: I will be doing 3 languages shortly though, because I find them easy enough to learn :smile: Just learning facts, rules and words and stringing them together and using them. It's not a lot different from maths, I don't think.
Reply 47
Original post by SpiritedAway
No, 2 languages. French and German, and then a random outside module :smile: I will be doing 3 languages shortly though, because I find them easy enough to learn :smile: Just learning facts, rules and words and stringing them together and using them. It's not a lot different from maths, I don't think.

Oh ok xD
And fair enough =]

Dunno why, but studying languages always seems like it would be really hard in my mind :rolleyes: . But i always failed at it so that's probably why :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending