The Student Room Group

Going into uni one day a week

Hi guys,

I don't know if its normal but with my course, I'm just going into uni one day a week. Is there anyone else who have a similar situation and do you think it brings alot of value and teaching?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

I don't know if its normal but with my course, I'm just going into uni one day a week. Is there anyone else who have a similar situation and do you think it brings alot of value and teaching?

Do you study part time? It’s not really normal to only have to go in once a week for a full time course.
Reply 2
No, I do a full time course.
What and where do you study? This is every interesting for me as a student in Sweden - I've heard many differing accounts on the quality of higher education back in the UK, in many cases seems like the Covid era of education hasn't worn of quite yet...
Hi guys,

Hi there,

I have 6 hours of lectures a week and 3 hours of seminars a fortnight. This adds up to only just over 1 day a week but with the addition of seminar prep, readings working on assignments. This just means that it's more important to make the most of your lecture time.

I hope this helps!

Jaz - Cardiff student rep
You’re doing a humanity subject aren’t you.
Hi guys,

Hi,

Which course are you studying and where are you studying? Also, which year of study (1st, 2nd, 3rd)?

Some courses may require less contact hours. If you are worried about your timetable I would recommend contacting your school/division so you can get some reassurance. Usually their contact info can be found if you google your universities name and division (it will usually then link you to the universities website).

If you cannot find it then I would say contact you advisor or supervisor (if you have one) to find out who the best person to contact is, they may also know the answer to your question!

I hope this helps and good luck with your studies. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Hi guys,

Anon,

It might be that you are only in for one day a week this term and in for more days in the second term.

It might be useful to find out more about how your course is structured and to find out if there are any online sessions you are expected to attend.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Depends on the course. I did a science based undergraduate and was in pretty much every day whereas friends who did humanties had a lot less contact time. It just means you'll be expected to do more independent study.
Original post by SoonToBeExpat
What and where do you study? This is every interesting for me as a student in Sweden - I've heard many differing accounts on the quality of higher education back in the UK, in many cases seems like the Covid era of education hasn't worn of quite yet...

it more that different subjects have different ballance of directed time vs self-directed time

e.g. student Health Professionals, Lab based science courses and Engineering will often required to be be physically present for several days each week and have numerous timetabled lab and seminar / 1-2-1 sessions , ( and in the case of Student Health Professionals may have be physically present or provide formal APL evidence for each time timetabled session ) other subjects migth only have a few lectures and seminars and a tutorial each week but the semin ars and the tutorial will require numerous hours of prep and writing assignments / essays
Hi guys,

Hiya, :hello:

I am a second-year student studying Health and well-being at De Montfort University, and I am only in twice a week. It’s normal at university to be in a lot less, especially when you compare it to the hours you would be in secondary school and college/ sixth form. For my course, we are in less as I have no exams and alternatively, I am assessed through essays, presentations and case studies, etc so I need the time to work on them. As of this, we have time allocated as self-directed and this is when a room is available with a lecturer, and you can go there to work on group projects :party: or just a chance to speak to the lecturer about the course.:shakehand: I am also expected to study the number of hours I am in class independently at home, either on additional reading, listening to notes or working on the upcoming assignments :work:. This also means you just value the time you do spend in class on campus and the contact hours can vary throughout the year so you might be in more in the future. If you are concerned, you can speak to your lecturer about this.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions leave a message

Maddie :heart:
It's always possible with timetabling to have the majority of your contact hours on one day. I once was doing a course where one term I ended up with 6 consecutive hours on a Friday afternoon and my timetable was pretty sparse for the rest of the week!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending