The Student Room Group

typical school timetable for university student

I know that school timetables for university students will vary amongst different universities (and probably course) but I was just curious about what a typical school timetable looks for a university student
Original post by TreeGoatFree
I know that school timetables for university students will vary amongst different universities (and probably course) but I was just curious about what a typical school timetable looks for a university student

Hello!
This is a great question! it obviously differs depending on the course you are taking. For example, as a second year Earth and Environmental Science student, I have a lot more labs and field trips than a more lecture based course. But you are likely to have lectures and seminars at any time between 9am-7pm and at the moment I have 2-3 lectures a day and a field trip or practical once or twice a week. Time between lectures is often spent in the library catching up on reading and other work. The evenings can then be spent hanging out with your friends or taking part in societies.

Hope this helps,
Lucy (Lancaster University Student)

Hi there,

You are 100% correct, university timetables will vary between courses and universities. Your timetable may include a mix of lectures, seminars, small group sessions, workshops, tutorials etc. I recommend looking at the course structure on the university website which can show you a breakdown of your teaching hours.

The big difference with university is that you are expected to do a lot more independent learning and research, which can increase as your course progresses. As a Biomedical sciences student, during my second year I had approx. 10 hours of lectures, 1 hour tutorial session and a lab lasting a few hours.

Hope this helps!
Sharon (3rd year student)

Hey @TreeGoatFree,

Timetables are definitely different based on the course you do but can also differ based on the year of study as well.

For example for years one and two I had 12 hour weeks with this being split across three days meaning I had two days off a week to focus on independent study. My classes were either lectures or using the labs.

Whereas for third year for my first semester I was in four days a week with it being a 10 hour week however now in my second semester I am in 5 hours a week with three days off. However that is likely split like this as I have my dissertation to do.

My timetable for this semester means I can keep on top of any reading, class work, assignments and my dissertation.

Once you have your timetable it will allow you to structure your week so that you can focus on your studies but also see when you can have some down time as well.

Hope that helps!

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

Hey!

I feel there is no typical timetable for a university student. You said it right that it totally depends on the university and the course. I am a Design Management student at University of Southampton. My classes were roughly 4 days a week, roughly 4-5 hours each day. But I have heard for like Medicine, the classes are from 9 am to 5 pm. Similarly, for my friend, who was in Textile Design, she had classes same as mine, but her workload was so much that she was mostly found in labs. It's not one size fits all situation. But, the good part about university is that classes are always held between 9 am - 5pm and all the clubs and society based activities are after that, so that students don't have any problem managing that. Hope this gives an idea about university life.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
(edited 3 months ago)

Hiya!

As everyone has said so far and you have acknowledged the timetable does change. I would recommend speaking to students from the University you are interested in and specifically those who study the same course. Many students should be present at Open Days where you can discuss timetables and their life as students and maybe even have a chat option online like we have at DMU. At DMU on the website we have ‘chat with us’ where you can speak to current students and ask questions. Also, it may say on the website the number of contact hours for the course you are interested in and if not I am sure you can get in contact.

Timetables alter depending on what you study, whether you have any exams, what year you are in, what style of teaching are you taught in and whether you need workshop space to work on projects etc. These can be some of the factors that determine your timetable. For example I study a subject where I have no exams and study under block teaching, meaning I am in less due to needing independent time to focus and complete my assignments therefore I am only in twice a week.

Hope this helps
-Maddie, second year Health and well-being in society student at De Montfort University

Hi there!

You are very right in thinking that everybody's day to day during university looks very different. I believe that is exactly what makes it so desirable and exciting. It is truly up to you what the 24 hours on the clock look like for you, and what the 7 days are marked by.

I am a first year music student at Kingston, and have classes twice a week. My course is highly dependent on individual practice and thus I spend the days I do not have classes in Kingston Hill's studios. Since, the time that I practice in, and the days that I do so are up to me, I am able to fill my days with loads of activities outside my course.

My day starts at 7 in the morning with the university's fitness center. Post breakfast, I either go to class or jam with my friends in the Synth room or the studio. Around 6, I either go the library and work on assignments or my job as Student Ambassador, post which, I end the day with some classic pubbing.

This is the polar opposite of the day to day that one of my friends lives. She loves exploring London, and hates getting up early, and thus mostly spends the day traveling and the night working.

This brings us back to my point of how, at a university like Kingston, you can truly sculpt your day to be exactly as you wish!

Since it is so subjective, I would love to know what your ideal day would look like while studying at university @TreeGoatFree .

Cheers 🙂 ,
-Addy (Kingston Rep)
(edited 3 months ago)

Hi there

I think the answer really depends on the course that you are taking and what the modules is designed like.
I am a law student and I have found my timetables to vary significantly between the years: Last year, I had 7 lectures and 4 seminars a week on average. This year, I have 4 lectures and r seminars a week. Usually each lesson lasts 1 hour, but sometimes they could be for 2 hours instead. Overall, you do not have many contact hours at University. This allows you a lot of freedom to organise your studies and other commitments. :smile:

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi!
I study psychology at Lancaster University, in my first year I did psychology with a minor in international relations and had around 15 contact hours a week, and a varying amount of independent work depending on coursework. I was generally on campus for lectures/seminars every weekday except Wednesdays, but sometimes I would have a seminar that day. This year, I'm just majoring in psychology and have around 10-13 contact hours a week but a lot more independent work (lab prep, coursework, revision, etc).
Hope this helps!
-Kat (2nd year psychology student at Lancaster University)
Hello,

I am studying medicine and our schedule in the last three years is placement heavy so I actually don’t have much uni classes.

But in my first two years of uni my schedule was something like this:

Monday: morning skills lab, afternoon lecture till 5

Tuesday: morning anatomy lab, afternoon lecture till 5

Wednesday: communication class till 12 (in my uni, some students tend to have Wednesday afternoon off for societies and sports)

Thursday: Off (study day)

Friday: 9-5 day filled with lectures.

We also have about two hours of lunch break everyday.

Hope this helps,
Haya- MBBS V

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending