The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough 2012 Freshers + FAQ/Info

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imgreaat
also does anyone from london know how to get there via train? cost roughly? thanks!

Go from St Pancras, it's about 90 minutes with no changes. Will cost you something like £35-40 return on a weekday with a railcard, more like £25 at the weekend.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
I swear when I was an undergrad I could get tickets for a return trip to home (south of London) for like £24 booking 2 singles in advance with a railcard.... but now even when booking a couple of weeks in advance, it's always the same as the on the day price (like £45 open return).
Reply 362
Original post by Diminutive
I swear when I was an undergrad I could get tickets for a return trip to home (south of London) for like £24 booking 2 singles in advance with a railcard.... but now even when booking a couple of weeks in advance, it's always the same as the on the day price (like £45 open return).

Inflation, plus someone has to pay for all the top level bonuses.
Reply 363
Dilemma!!
I don't know which of these two universities I should put as firm, kent or loughborough?
I like both universities, both of them are near enough equally good for my course, Electronic Engineerng.

Can anyone mention anything that may tempt me to choose loughborough over kent ? I have tried working out something that may make me choose one over the other, but I still can't choose!
Original post by KazMan
Dilemma!!
I don't know which of these two universities I should put as firm, kent or loughborough?
I like both universities, both of them are near enough equally good for my course, Electronic Engineerng.

Can anyone mention anything that may tempt me to choose loughborough over kent ? I have tried working out something that may make me choose one over the other, but I still can't choose!

Have you visited them both?
Genuinely if you had there'd be no dilemma... Loughborough is far superior =D
Reply 365
Have you visited them both?
Genuinely if you had there'd be no dilemma... Loughborough is far superior =D

Hi, Yh I've visited both universities. Have you visited both? Or what makes you think Loughborough is far superior?
Original post by KazMan
Hi, Yh I've visited both universities. Have you visited both? Or what makes you think Loughborough is far superior?

I visited both universities in 2005 and choose Loughborough - and have absolutely loved it. So much that I came back a year after graduating my first degree to start a PhD. For me there was basically no choice when I looked around Loughborough Campus - it just kinda felt "right" (haha how lame/cliche does that sound!).

Loughborough has won 'best student experience' for so many years in a row now! It is so easy to get involved in being part of Loughborough (and I mean societies/clubs/sports/hall stuff as opposed to drinking!).

What sort of things are important to you in your university choice? Then we can tell you more about those things at Loughborough =)
Reply 367
I visited both universities in 2005 and choose Loughborough - and have absolutely loved it. So much that I came back a year after graduating my first degree to start a PhD. For me there was basically no choice when I looked around Loughborough Campus - it just kinda felt "right" (haha how lame/cliche does that sound!).

Loughborough has won 'best student experience' for so many years in a row now! It is so easy to get involved in being part of Loughborough (and I mean societies/clubs/sports/hall stuff as opposed to drinking!).

What sort of things are important to you in your university choice? Then we can tell you more about those things at Loughborough =)

Haha at 'it kinda felt right' but then again, the 1st time I visited Loughborough that's how I felt, I guess that feeling is a good thing to go by?

The sort of things important for me about my university choice excluding the actual course are probably, playing for the university football team, living in a multicultural surrounding and the atmosphere of the university should be friendly and positive.

The only reason why I am considering Kent is because, it was 1st for student satisfaction for my course in the last three years
Original post by KazMan
Haha at 'it kinda felt right' but then again, the 1st time I visited Loughborough that's how I felt, I guess that feeling is a good thing to go by?

The sort of things important for me about my university choice excluding the actual course are probably, playing for the university football team, living in a multicultural surrounding and the atmosphere of the university should be friendly and positive.

The only reason why I am considering Kent is because, it was 1st for student satisfaction for my course in the last three years

There's plenty of football teams, if not for the university, then each hall has their own team - IMS sport, tons of different sports you can play for your hall, sort of like a Sunday League, but highly competitive. It's fairly multicultural to me (but I am from Northumberland, quite possibly the least multicultural place in England). And the overwhelming majority of students are friendly (they're usually in the exact same position as you which helps), and I've not come across anyone remotely unhelpful when, e.g., lost on campus (it will happen as a fresher, just ask if you're lost).
anybody doing civil engineering? How are you finding the course itself? (lot of practicals?), Are you able to keep up with the work or get support if needed? Is the campus itself very big? How long does it take for you to get from one end to another?
Original post by LozB167
Applied for BEng Mechanical Engineering
Only got my acknowledgement a couple of days ago

Heyyy, got an offer for Mech Eng too! Whats your offer? Are you firming it? I might insurance it though. Notts is probably going to be my Firm! :smile:
Reply 371
Still nearly nobody on sport courses? I thought that a lot of people will choose this courses. Is this University worth it? Because I recieved second conditional offer - this time from Bournemouth Uni. Wich one is better? I think that Loughborough gave me much higher condition
Original post by KazMan

Yeah that feeling is definitely a good indictator - especially because your university decision represents such a huge investment of your life.

As far as the football team goes.... unless your super uber pro you're unlikely to play for the Loughborough first team... but there's loads of different teams for BUCS... then IMS, departments etc etc definitely a lot of scope ot get involved with football at many levels.

I think it's pretty multicultural as far as the university goes. Loughborough as a town isn't the most diverse place... since its just a small town after all but the university definitely is. There's a lot of international students and there's a lot of stuff (such as Universal thursday at the union) to cater for them.

There's definitely a really positive and friendly vibe. There's a lot of ways to get involved and meet awesome people. A lot is focused around the union.... things like societies, RAG, Action etc... lots and fun and you meet loads of amazing friendly people.
Original post by Killerstorm2
anybody doing civil engineering? How are you finding the course itself? (lot of practicals?), Are you able to keep up with the work or get support if needed? Is the campus itself very big? How long does it take for you to get from one end to another?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=202097271930148372661.0004b9b618014a41a803f&msa=0&ll=52.763645,-1.234889&spn=0.017529,0.045447&iwloc=0004b9b62230906e856ce

map with the area that counts as campus is marked. Though the very left hand stuff is holywell park, which most undergraduate students won't go to because its research and enterprise.
Reply 374
Yeah that feeling is definitely a good indictator - especially because your university decision represents such a huge investment of your life.

As far as the football team goes.... unless your super uber pro you're unlikely to play for the Loughborough first team... but there's loads of different teams for BUCS... then IMS, departments etc etc definitely a lot of scope ot get involved with football at many levels.

I think it's pretty multicultural as far as the university goes. Loughborough as a town isn't the most diverse place... since its just a small town after all but the university definitely is. There's a lot of international students and there's a lot of stuff (such as Universal thursday at the union) to cater for them.

There's definitely a really positive and friendly vibe. There's a lot of ways to get involved and meet awesome people. A lot is focused around the union.... things like societies, RAG, Action etc... lots and fun and you meet loads of amazing friendly people.

:smile: thanks for all the info, much appreciated..it's looking more and more likely that i will be coming to Loughborough haha
Reply 375
Original post by ammarnkhan
Heyyy, got an offer for Mech Eng too! Whats your offer? Are you firming it? I might insurance it though. Notts is probably going to be my Firm! :smile:

Hi. My offer was ABB. How about yours??
I think it's going to be my insurance. It really depends on my Jan exam results though. I really hoping to make Bath my firm.
Been given an unconditional for Loughborough's Communication and Media Studies! But I've been waiting for Leed's Communication since end Nov and they have yet to give me a reply.

Don't know if I should wait or just go for Loughborough.

Advice anyone?
Original post by secretplaceee
Been given an unconditional for Loughborough's Communication and Media Studies! But I've been waiting for Leed's Communication since end Nov and they have yet to give me a reply.

Don't know if I should wait or just go for Loughborough.

Advice anyone?

You may as well wait, it makes absolutely no difference whether you reply now or in may.
Original post by LozB167
Hi. My offer was ABB. How about yours??
I think it's going to be my insurance. It really depends on my Jan exam results though. I really hoping to make Bath my firm.

Yes ABB too. Going to make it my insurance. Probably going to firm Notts offer, which is AAB. Will be resitting a couple of Physics and FM modules in May/June. need to get an A and B respectively for Notts. What was you Bath offer?
Reply 379
Original post by ammarnkhan
Yes ABB too. Going to make it my insurance. Probably going to firm Notts offer, which is AAB. Will be resitting a couple of Physics and FM modules in May/June. need to get an A and B respectively for Notts. What was you Bath offer?

Bath have asked for AAA. I've got that offer from Notts as well, with one of the A's in Maths.
Good luck with your resits :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending